KLX Swap Finally Completed!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
qbury
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KLX Swap Finally Completed!

Post by qbury »

Sounds good. My days off are Wed/Fri. I too work from home and have some flexibility. I'm still waiting on my DMV paperwork. Very frustrating. If you didn't have an appointment before everything shut down from COVID you have to do it online. They've acknowledged they have everything they need from me, including my money, they just have a backlog with processing everything. I haven't been able to ride it yet and I've had it for a month today.

Question - What is 707 suspension? I do have a set of KLX forks with clamps and axle that I'll probably install but I at least wanted to ride the bike in it's current form first.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Yeah I don't need to comment on the DMV haha.

707 Suspension is a suspension/dirt bike shop out of Rohnert Park. Joel is a good guy and did an amazing job with both the KLX forks and the KDX shock. His labor prices were incredibly fair and didn't tell me I needed parts that I truly didn't need. He still has integrity, which is becoming a rare trait to find. He also installed the tires/tubes and a full drive system. I am around 180 without gear, so the KLX forks and stock KDX shock were like riding a pogo stick. It actually became a bit dangerous as the front wanted to push and let go in every corner. The rear just didn't want to stay planted, with good reason because that bike was set up for someone in the neighborhood of 135 lbs. I went down a few times and had a couple saves where I could strong arm the bike. That was all the data I needed to finally suck it up and pay for the suspension tune. Not cheap, but so worth it. Best money I've spent on any dirt bike I've owned. My KDX is a completely different bike now. Like I mentioned in another post about it, sure it could be better, but it is dang good for the technology. You have to remember that it is an 04 but realistically the technology dates back to the mid/late 90's! I have a 97 220 sitting at my parents house in VT that will get a KX125 front end at some point. I am going to have Joel tune those forks as well and it'll be interesting to see the difference between the KLX and KX swap back to back.

We'll connect here soon. Take care.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
qbury
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by qbury »

Thank you for the update. Is sounds like you have it pretty dialed in. I'm trying to get there...
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

It took a while! Seems to never end haha, but I love it.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200