2001 KX125 forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
morganid
Supporting Member

Re: 2001 KX125 forks

Post by morganid »

Uknow7who wrote:Why don't you swap the 220 into the 125 frame. I've heard they are insane in the woods if you build it right, VForce 3 reads, gnarly woods pipe and turbine core 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
I considered that for a hot minute. But I ultimately decided not to because I thought it would be significantly more expensive than just doing the fork conversion. However, I did just see on my local classifieds a rear shock for that frame for $20. Now you've got me thinking... :hmm:
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Also, I think the 99 to 02 KX125/250 plastics are really ugly. I've heard of people doing a plastic conversion, but I haven't looked too closely into it. Maybe it's worth a look???
morganid
Supporting Member

2001 KX125 forks

Post by morganid »

So, after much consideration and debating, I'm going to just go ahead with the fork swap. I realize I'm taking my sweet time with it, but I'm working on it here and there between work, school, and family time.

Tonight I got the KDX front end disassembled and removed from the bike. It took two tries with my little $50, 12-ton press to get the KDX stem free of the triple clamp. It wouldn't budge the first try. I released the pressure and held the press... uh stinger (for lack of a better term) centered on the press and reapplied pressure. There is a fair amount of play in the press and the stinger hangs a little off center. I had just about maxed the press out the second time when the stem broke free.

I pressed the KDX stem int the KX triple clamp to check if it neede knurling and to visualize what part of the KDX Stem need to be machined.

Knurling Required???? Eh, debatable. The KDX stem pressed into the KX t. clamp with extreme ease. It is stuck there, but it required much less force to press it in then when I pressed the KX stem back into the KX clamp to fix the issue I caused earlier. I don't think I will knurl it, but I probably will "glue" it in with Lock-Tight.

I can now see a shiny ring on the stem that was covered by the KDX clamp. (It is now exposed because the KX clamp is thinner than the KDX clamp). Hopefully this week or weekend, I'll get my calipers out and measure the stem where the bearing used to seat and compare it to the shiny section to see if I need to remove any material to get the bearing to seat against the triple clamp.

I also need to spend some time with my bearings. Turning the handlebars without the front wheel/ forks on allowed me to feel how gritty and dirty the bearings were. They don't look damaged, but I'll need to spend more time cleaning/inspecting them before I reuse them (and repack with grease).

I still need to get the RM fork covers and get my brake line situation figure out. That's all for now.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you measure the stem diameters when you had them apart?

The don't part you mentioned needs to be cut down really. Someone was on here last week talking about how he sanded it down.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

No. I haven't measured the stem diameters. I'm going to do that next chance I get to work on it. Only had an hour tonight to work on it and I couldn't find my calipers tonight.