KX fork conversion recap?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ski... I think right now I'm riding a little high in the saddle.. I am going to do a reconfigure to make up for it. It is going to be very touchy but it will work. Basically, use a washer under the top clamp and give me a little more room to drop it. I still have 1/2 inch that I can drop it without doing this, but I like the extra room.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Looks Good!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... got 'er all level now! Put a washer under the top tree and dropped the forks another 3/4".... and still can adjust the forks with the clickers! Awesome.... Now that part is truely done. Thanks guys for all the help.... I can't wait to ride it after I get the topend done this weekend. :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Any pics regarding Fabricate a .025 shim for the slop between the upper t-clamp hole and the stem and install. Any update of any mistakes learned or adjustments to final work
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

For a quick fit-test which may actually work in the real world too, grab some aluminum foil from the kitchen and cut a strip off the length of the internal diameter of the KX upper clamp's stem hole. Just fold it over about 6, 7 or 8 times until it takes up the space.

From what I have read, more people seem to be more satisfied with having a bushing / sleeve installed to take up the difference instead of a shim stock solution.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Just trying to picture what it looks like. Guess I'll figure it when I have apart this winter. I like the Alum Foil idea.
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Just cut a strip of aluminum foil about 3" long and 8" wide. If you fold it over 8 times, that will be about 3/4" wide, which is about right for a shim. You can try different amounts of foil, then go buy some that is "official", if you are wanting to use the shim stock idea.

OOH! Here's a picture. You know Wrigley's chewing gum, right? Just imagine taking the gum out and folding the shiny paper back to normal shape. Just picture wrapping that around the stem. It is just something to take up the extra space, which is not much to start with.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Got it. I think. Mr. Wibbens Chewing Gum :hmm:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Hi Inda,
I...... Have you measured the front ride height before and after your fork mod? I'm thinking that the spacer might make a difference in final front end ride height.
Has anybody done this? Does anyone have the KDX stock distance from axle to tube? Would be nice to have this documented.

When converting my front end I could not use the spacer under the top clamp, it would not allow my number plate to fit properly, so I used it on top like Inda's.
nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

I'm going to be taking mine apart either this weekend or the beginning of next week to do the conversion where do you need me to measure from is it from the axel to the bottom of the triple clamp or someplace else
04 kdx 200
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

From the axel to the top of the lower clamp would be good.
Is your's an "h" model KDX?
Good luck with the conversion and thanks!
nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

from the bottom of the axel to the top of the lower clamp is 27 3/4 inches with the bike on a stand and front wheel of the ground my forks are approx 10mm above the top triple so i'd say if they were flush it would be pretty close if not exactly 28 inches
04 kdx 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I would be measuring from the bottom of the head tube to the ground.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

I'll try to check that tonight when i get home
04 kdx 200
thirteen

Post by thirteen »

Due to this posting and the one from tmwwody I dedcided to do this conversion as well. I am very pleased with the results and here is the link to my posting that explains the mistakes that I made and how I solved a few other isssues.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... learned+kx

Thanks to tmwoody for all the email support!
Byte

Post by Byte »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Well... some guy saw I was second high bidder on the 03 forks and emailed me an offer for a set for $220 shipped. I told him SOLD!! :grin: So... now I gotta figure out if I need to sell my 01 wheel and get an 03 wheel because 03 stands alone as far as suspension. From what the guy told me (He works at a suspension shop out East)...it was the most advanced system Kaw made and almost exactly like the Yamaha setups. So, there may another chapter in the KX swapout saga. In 04 they went the way of the 97-02 style via Suz/Kaw. I don't know if any of this is true, I am just passing on the info.... But I'm excited to say the least! I love a challenge!~ :cool:
anyone else have the '03's in the kdx?

inda - have you validated this reasoning for the '03's being superior?

byte
riggy

Post by riggy »

exellent recap , Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!.... I have a 97 kdx and purchased 01 kx250 forks and clamp . all apart heading to machine shop tommorow ! Cant wait TO RIDE IT !!!! :supz:
KC-10ENG

Post by KC-10ENG »

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for you all. I have been trolling around reading a lot of the threads on your KDX forum and have a question. I have a 2004 KLX300R and not a KDX but the steering stem bearings are the same so I figure that all of the info should be the same.

I have purchased a couple fork sets to see what will fit on my bike. I have a 2000 KX-125 fork, wheel, caliper and triple. I also have a 2003 KX-500 fork and triple. I am almost certain that the KX-500 triple will bolt right into my KLX but which fork should I use?? I know that the KX-125 has the different fork bottoms compared to the KX-500 but are the forks internally different.

I also have a different fork combo currently installed on the bike. I have a Stroker performance fork, rear shock and linkage installed. The rear shock is 1.75" longer than the standard KLX300 to go with the Stroker linkage and rocker assy. Forks are longer by .75" So the KX forks will compliment this set up nicely.

Thanks Dennis
KC-10ENG

Post by KC-10ENG »

http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad80 ... g&newest=1

Well the conversion is all done, I ended up with a complete front end of of a 2003 KX500. Thanks for all of the great threads that made me do this.[/img]
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks wicked! :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****