KX fork conversion recap?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Congrats!!! :supz:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on getting some forks. You are getting closer. :-)

"I THINK" the 2005 model KYB's on Yamaha or Kawasaki forks are a twin chamber style similar to Showas on various Suzukis and Hondas.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sweet! I totally forgot you were trying to piece that together after getting sniped out! I've still got a full '95 YZ250 front end...we need to see how close that is to the 95-up kdx's....then I'm sure I can find a good home for it on here.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

My bud's KDX 200 was my insperation for going with the KX forks. He used the YZ front end. Other than the brake caliper, it fit just fine. I'll check with him again if there were any problems, but I rode it and it was sweet!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hey Fuzz.... wasn't there some issue as to why we couldn't use those? Or am I thinking about the Gold Valves??? :? Man... I must have wintertime ditz's or something.
The 03 forks are coming sometime this week, shipping today, the triple trees too... I should have it all torn down and see what I have next week. Still need to get a caliper and I think that's about it. The guy did say that for woods riding that I need to get some good wrap around guards... He said that the most damage on the forks is at 5 'o clock on the left and 7 'o clock on the right. Does anyone know of a company that makes 'em?
Thanks..... :prayer:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Caliper has just been purchased on eBay today too! I love Buy it Now! :lol: I think I have everything.... I guess I will see! :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Some seller has recently put up forks, triple clamps and fork guards from a 2003 KX. If someone else is looking to convert, you may want to check it out.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'm waiting for a whole rolling chassis :mrgreen: Hopefully with a Buy it Now button and a low price :wink:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Then what? Put one of those butt ugly IMS tanks on it? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Carry extra fuel in your camelbak. Just don't forget! Or do what CC and Wib do and stash gas on the trails. If someone doesn't find it and report it as a terrorist bomb, that is!!
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, it was the extra gold valve I ended up with for my YZ shock...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah...that's right! Those forks could be listed in the for sale section... wish I woulda thought about that before I bought all the parts individually.... DOH! Oh well... someone will be happy....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jason wrote:Some seller has recently put up forks, triple clamps and fork guards from a 2003 KX. If someone else is looking to convert, you may want to check it out.
I got the caliper... nah, nah nah nah, nah! :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sweet....When I come down to D-town for x-mas I'll bring my extra triple clamps so you can have a look while your bike is all torn down....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds good Fuzz! May just have to use your setup! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sure, whichever is easer to install....However, I'm sure the '03 forks will be better than my '95's!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... got my forks today... NICE! Need some guards I guess.... all the ones I seen for sale are just the guards without guides. :neutral: What's up with that? Anyway... got my caliper bolted on for fit, and going to pull my wheel out to see if that all fits up. Gotta make sure I have all the parts. Waiting for my trees before I lop off my frontend and get the stem pressed in. Man... can't wait! My forks came with .42 springs and I hope they are close to the right weight. Ski? :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

That's what I have; .42
They might seem stiff when running up and down fireroads but don't judge them until to slam into something.....hard. Then it will seem like whatever it was, didn't even exist....like it wasn't even there. Deep whoops are also a joy but that also takes setting up the compression and rebound on the rear shock as well.
If you have someone who can either watch, or better yet, video tape you going through some sections, then you will know if the compression / rebounds are adjusted right.
Jerry

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

check HERE for guards and guides
skalvin

Post by skalvin »

what do you guys do about the turning radius, and the top tree hitting the gas tank?
thank's