KX fork conversion recap?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The whole idea of wrapping some shim stock around something as important as a steering stem does kinda bug me.

I don't suppose it would be fiscally reasonable to have the stem welded up, then turned down?

Or some other method of fixing the two pieces?

Yeah. I AM fretting.

'Go with your strengths' I've been told. ;)

Thanks, Ski. I'm sure I could come up with some shim stock. Mostly I wanted to give Inda a hard time (for no particular reason..another 'Go with...' idea).

If I get a wheel this weekend, I should be set as far as parts go.

:rolleyes: ...he said hopefully....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've talked to a couple of machine shops. The old timers tell me they can turn me a complete stem made from steel or aluminum, or anything else for that matter for about $50 plus materials; just bring the origonal, the lower triple clamp and a sketch with the dimensions I want. The younger guys won't touch it. They say their insureance won't cover them for the liability. (My mistake, telling 'em it's for a motorcycle I guess.)

Remember, where the shimming is taking place isn't a tight fit anyways. This just kind of fills up the extra area. It's the bearings that are keeping things lined up to where they need to be.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

skipro3 wrote: I too am wondering about Inda's "scraping the spacer" comment. The stock (KDX) stem is too long without it. You end up bottoming out on the threads AND the stem hits the bars if you don't have that spacer.
My stem isn't. At first I thought it would be but it's not. All that is needed on my setup is a washer if that. You will see when I post pics this weekend. I'm not crazy.... really! :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Your upper triple clamp must be "thicker" than my '96 . Good to know!!

BTW just because you know what you're talking about, (In this instance anyway) doesn't mean you still aren't crazy.

"I've been gone for 14 days, could'a been gone for more..." Do you know what those lyrics are from?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Inda: If you're sorting thru pics to post..and have one of the base valve (if that's what it's called on USD forks), put that up, too.

I'd like to compare an oem KYB piston to what's in 'my' PilotPro forks just for grins.

Ski: Yeah..you're right. The top clamp does just kinda sit there (stemwise).

re: liability Last time I had to get a bearing on my Duster I was all over the valley for the exact same reason. No one would touch it! I could buy an oem axle with a bearing on it..but I didn't have oem axles..and didn't have oem bearings, neither. They were fearful of getting sued if the axle fell out of the rear-end.

I've always wanted a press. Maybe it's time to buy one! A BIG one!! Those stems are pretty tight, aren't they?

..eventual trouble.... Oh yeah! One of the basic facts of life! Usually you can 'fix' the wheel part, thought. :(

***edit***
BTW...The 'top' of the KX units have a bleed screw? I want to use bleeders (poppers) if I can. Maybe can't if the forks have to sit above the T-top clamp..might interfere with the bars?

Just thought of another Q...the KDX top clamp doesn't by chance fit the KX bar spacing? I'd rather use a one piece clamp than the individual clamps. I don't recall anyone saying anythinga about that....
Last edited by canyncarvr on 05:08 pm Feb 11 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

canyncarvr wrote: Just thought of another Q...the KDX top clamp doesn't by chance fit the KX bar spacing? I'd rather use a one piece clamp than the individual clamps. I don't recall anyone saying anythinga bbout that....
Yup! Sure does!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

canyncarvr wrote: I've always wanted a press. Maybe it's time to buy one! A BIG one!! Those stems are pretty tight, aren't they?

BTW...The 'top' of the KX units have a bleed screw?

Just thought of another Q...the KDX top clamp doesn't by chance fit the KX bar spacing?
20 + Tons to get the stem out. Stand back! It comes out like a rocket!

I have the bleed buttons on my forks. Tight but fits.

No, It doesn't fit. Check eBay for a single piece unit. I just sold a BRP unit since I wanted one that I could mount my Scotts to, sorry.
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:shock: Huh?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OK...who's lying?

Probably a model year diff thing. Hope the '99 fits the kdx top clamp!!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... my Scotts made for the KDX (Which is a one piece unit) fits the KX setup (Which is available in the Parts area for a paultry $35! :lol:). This is what I was going by.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Bleeders

Post by Indawoods »

Last edited by Indawoods on 11:31 pm Oct 10 2006, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

DONE!

Top Clamp Snug W/O Spacer!

Clearance!

Stock KDX Cable Routing!

Last edited by Indawoods on 11:31 pm Oct 10 2006, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job! Congratulations.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Home made oil level guage! Look familiar? It's a brake bleeder converted to a oil level guage! :lol: Hey... it worked great! I simply cut a piece of tube to the depth I wanted and then sucked out the rest with the vacuum pump.... SIMPLE!

Last edited by Indawoods on 11:32 pm Oct 10 2006, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Top clamp snug without spacer:
Yea, but that stack of washers under the top nut is almost the size of my spacer. And quite a bit of threads sticking up there. Still, the threaded end doesn't hit that bars and that IS different than mine.

Nice work there Inda. Now come out west for a KX fork shoot out to see who's done the best job.
:lol:
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You know Ski... Without putting in that spacer under the clamp.... the stem tapers outward at the bottom and with the shim stock, it fits just great! The top HAD to drop for the Scotts to line up. Just no way around it but all worked out perfectly and I have no regrets.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

hey inda
what is the outside diameter of the forks in the lower and upper clamps?
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't know... didn't measure 'em!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i didnt think u would know it off
the top of your head. please measure them for me. u have calipers right? i'm just curious about the 46mm forks
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hi Inda,
I was thinking about the spacer and it got me wondering:
my upper triple has the additional spacer under it, raising the upper triple. My forks now ride higher into the triple clamps which lowers my front end back to (almost) stock. Have you measured the front ride height before and after your fork mod? I'm thinking that the spacer might make a difference in final front end ride height. I measured from my bar end to the ground with the forks fully extended and ended up about 3/4 inch taller with the KX setup.

What do you think?
Jerry