KX fork conversion recap?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I haven't gotten that far into the install but.... the 03 trees are offset a little more than the previous years. Earlier than 03 the offset was 22mm. The 03's are offset 25mm. I don't know if that will make that much of a difference... but it might. Besides that, I have not read anywhere where it was an issue anyway. Did you read or hear something that makes you think it will interfere?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

skalvin wrote:what do you guys do about the turning radius, and the top tree hitting the gas tank?
thank's
On my bike, the top tree doesn't hit the gas tank. If it did, I would probably just tack a spot of weld onto the stop tab, each side, then file to smooth and shoot a bit of PJ1 paint on it.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Indawoods wrote:I haven't gotten that far into the install but.... the 03 trees are offset a little more than the previous years. Earlier than 03 the offset was 22mm. The 03's are offset 25mm. I don't know if that will make that much of a difference... but it might. Besides that, I have not read anywhere where it was an issue anyway. Did you read or hear something that makes you think it will interfere?
Just what the heck is offset anyway? I've heard it mentioned in many threads but I'm not even going to guess. Can you use pictures to show me? I swapped out my upper tree with an aftermarket one. All I know is, when I slide my fork through the lower tree and up to the upper one, they line up perfect. Would an offset be set for both the upper and lower clamps?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good question Ski.... Triple Tree offset :

It is the difference between the steering stem and the fork mounts. This is the offset.
Last edited by Indawoods on 11:24 pm Oct 10 2006, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Unless the aftermarket tree said it was for a specific offset...they would go by stock offset. Otherwise they would have to be bought as a unit to change the offset to something different. You can change the rake dimensions by running a different offset also... but would have to be a matched unit and it would change the handling characteristics of the bike because they determine the offset by the weight distribution of the bike to the frontend. Know what I mean??? :shock:

BTW... The reason Kawasaki changed the offset on the '03 model KX's was for a sharper turning radius.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skalvin

Post by skalvin »

i have a 2002, 200 and did the mod with a '97 kx set up. i bought an emig top clamp and also installed a scott damper. when i turn full left or right the top clamp hits the damper post. the tank is about a 1/8" away from that. so basically if i didn't have the damper, the top clamp would bottom out on the tank. that's not the real issue b/c all ineed to do is what skipro3 said, and spot weld stops on either side of the stop tab. the issue is that the turning radius is greatly reduced. i'll post some pictures soon to show you guys what's going on. thank's
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... I fitted everything together tonight and it appears that I have all the parts and the '01 wheel fits the '03 forks just fine! :razz: Next, it is time to start documenting the swap procedure (with pics) so I can post it here. Monday I will tear my current frontend off and measure the steering stems to see if I have to use the KDX stem. If so, That will be done next week also and should have the conversion completed by New Years. I will need some miscellaneous plastic parts and mounting hardware to complete the job but, the hard part will be done.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Less than 12 hours on some great forks on eBay if anyone is interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=35592

Say Reth, Did you get the forks all finished? How's the ride?!?
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Actually, just got the old forks torn off yesterday, going to take the T-trees to the machine shop today. Got pics and all that... I will do a big write up when it's complete.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... the KX and KDX trees are at the machinist now. Finally got a hold of him to get the stems pressed out. He didn't take any notes, so I hope he can do it to my instructions! :grin:

I also took in my new-to-me cylinder to the dealership to get a good cleaning, a Pro-X piston fitted and gasket kit ordered. He looked at the plating and said there was no need to send it in to get replated. He said run a scotch-brite pad around it to break the glazing and run it. This is all good news to me.... $175 total vs. $300 plus! The service guy is an ex-pro racer and they have a good rep. so I trust him. Now I got the extra $$ to get RB'd! Guess I'll send it in this weekend. Everything is coming together in short order.... NO CC... I haven't pulled my bearing yet.... that's kinda last on the list along with the new tires.... but it's coming! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just talked to my machinist dude... he said the KDX stem needs knurled for the 03 trees too! Pick 'em up Monday. Was hopin' to pick 'em up tonight and install 'em. Oh well.... what can ya do? :mad:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ski... I went back and read your write up about the conversion.... you were right on the money with everything! 96 or 03... doesn't matter... the procedure is exactly the same down to the $25 to have the stems switched and the KDX stem knurled! That's bazaar!
Tomorrow I am off to get some shim stock and the conversion should be completed by this weekend. That is if I'm not to sore after surgery Friday. :lol: I don't think anything can stop me now....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Got the shim stock for the gap in the top tree stem hole.... using .016 copper, I thought by doubling it up would take up the gap, I barely got one wrap to fit. Which is good I guess... but what am I going to do with the rest of this copper? :? I will donate it to someone else doing this conversion! :razz: BTW... got it at Hobby Lobby! Those are everywhere I think. Last pieces I have coming from Bikebandit.com is the new cones, various washers and bar mounts (NOT CHEAP!). They have been shipped so it will be together any time now. Will get pics for ya all. I sure hope my Scotts stabilizer fits the new setup.... if not I will MAKE it fit! :lol:
After all this modding... I will have put over $900 into my bike this winter... more than I though I would but I just can't help myself....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Financally, a motorcycle has got to be the worlds worst investment. But, oh that fun factor....priceless IMO

Speaking of investments:
The number 1 reason I won't get that KTM EXC I'm always talking about is because there is no way I'm giving away my KDX for the $2000 (max) I could get for it and I just can't look my wife straight in the face and tell her I'm getting ANOTHER motorcycle. She wouldn't question it, in fact she would just smile, nod her head and wonder why she doesn't understand men. She would love a new bedroom set but would never "suprise" that on me like I do her when I get something for myself. So this weekend we go furniture shopping for bedrooms. (Then maybe.......hmmmm!!)

P.S. I'll be posting photos of the new bedroom funiture soon. She wants a Hawaiin Theme. I'm thinking more along an Eastern Woods ISDE sort of theme.
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Financally, a motorcycle has got to be the worlds worst investment
Ski...You should give Unlimited 2-Cycle Dirt Oval Karting a shot..... :shock:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Harley...dinette set, Harley...dinette set

:grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Hi Indawoods,

I hope your fine went good today and you are feeling ok, thake care :cool:

Ron
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Thanks Ron... All is well! I'm back home and I walked out on my own power... freaked the nurses out. :lol: I can move fairly well and will be in the garage tomorrow if my parts show up. Sodium Penathol ROCKS! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This is kind of a reply to your Scotts thread...but it doesn't have anything to do with the Scotts...so I put it here.

Spacer not needed? I thought the whole idea of the spacer was to 'align' the stem threads so they would work?

Not so?

Why'd you put it in in the first place?

re: '..after everything fits together with the right hardware.'

Is the 'right hardware' something different from what you used to start with?

And, of course...what hardware is that?

Hobby what is everywhere? Never heard of it/them. Did someone say 'donate?'

Ha...it's not worth the postage, is it?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Stop fretting CC. It will work. I too am wondering about Inda's "scraping the spacer" comment. The stock (KDX) stem is too long without it. You end up bottoming out on the threads AND the stem hits the bars if you don't have that spacer. If I had a lathe, I would have taken the stock KDX stem, trimmed it down and cut additional threads on it so I wouldn't need the spacer. But, maybe not. I sure like the bar height the way it is right now and that would lower them.

I've got your address and I'm going to mail you some shim stock for your mod to KX forks. Most it should cost is a couple of postage stamps. Just about any hardware store should have brass shim stock on hand. That's where I got mine. It came in sheets about 4 inches by 8 inches.
Jerry