YZ250F forks onto KDX

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Post Reply
Hendrikder
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: 12:08 pm Mar 12 2019
Country: South Africa

YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by Hendrikder » 05:52 am May 09 2019

Good Day everyone

Just a quick question , will I be able to fit a 2009 YZ250F forks (it is FX forks) or the entire front end onto a KDX 200 2006?

Just want to know because I have access to a set of forks or the entire front end or steering set.

Kind Regards
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200

User avatar
oldmxer95
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I
Posts: 40
Joined: 10:35 pm May 16 2018
Country: USA
Location: Wenatchee, WA

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by oldmxer95 » 09:04 am May 09 2019

You will need to swap the steering stem, but have it knurled to fit the YZ lower clamp. You will also need the YZ front wheel and brake caliper bracket, and then also modify the steering stop. Just did this swap with a set of YZ426F front end.
95 KDX 200H, 78 KX250A4, 78 RM125C
If it doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, then it must be someone else's hobby. :kick:

Hendrikder
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: 12:08 pm Mar 12 2019
Country: South Africa

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by Hendrikder » 11:40 am May 09 2019

oldmxer95 wrote:
09:04 am May 09 2019
You will need to swap the steering stem, but have it knurled to fit the YZ lower clamp. You will also need the YZ front wheel and brake caliper bracket, and then also modify the steering stop. Just did this swap with a set of YZ426F front end.
Thank you very much

You can't maybe give me a more detailed description pf how you did it? I to have access to a entire YZ frame everything on it except for the engine so I can use what ever I need to swop the front end.

And how is the feeling on it after you changed it go the YZ setup?

Kind Regards
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200

User avatar
oldmxer95
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I
Posts: 40
Joined: 10:35 pm May 16 2018
Country: USA
Location: Wenatchee, WA

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by oldmxer95 » 02:21 pm May 09 2019

1st - Have a machinst press out your stock stem from your bottom clamp. Provide him the lower Yamaha clamp, and instruct him to knurl the stock stem to press in snug into the Yamaha lower clamp.

2nd - Fashion a steering stop that works. I have not done this yet.

3rd - Since the Yamaha forks are longer that the KDX forks, you will need to shorten them internally about an inch or slide them up in the clamps as far as allowable.

4th - When installing the top clamp, you will need about .025 feeler gauge to wrap around the stem to make sure it has a slightly snug fit.

5th - Install forks, install the YZ front wheel and brake caliper.

These should be the major steps and get you on your way.

As far as feeling, this coming weekend is the first chance I will have to ride it.
95 KDX 200H, 78 KX250A4, 78 RM125C
If it doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, then it must be someone else's hobby. :kick:

Hendrikder
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: 12:08 pm Mar 12 2019
Country: South Africa

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by Hendrikder » 10:46 pm May 09 2019

oldmxer95 wrote:
02:21 pm May 09 2019
1st - Have a machinst press out your stock stem from your bottom clamp. Provide him the lower Yamaha clamp, and instruct him to knurl the stock stem to press in snug into the Yamaha lower clamp.

2nd - Fashion a steering stop that works. I have not done this yet.

3rd - Since the Yamaha forks are longer that the KDX forks, you will need to shorten them internally about an inch or slide them up in the clamps as far as allowable.

4th - When installing the top clamp, you will need about .025 feeler gauge to wrap around the stem to make sure it has a slightly snug fit.

5th - Install forks, install the YZ front wheel and brake caliper.

These should be the major steps and get you on your way.

As far as feeling, this coming weekend is the first chance I will have to ride it.
Thank You very much for the reply.

I will definitely be looking into doing the swap then as it does seem very complicated or to difficult.

Please let me know about how your ride goes with the new forks.

Kind Regards
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200

User avatar
oldmxer95
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I
Posts: 40
Joined: 10:35 pm May 16 2018
Country: USA
Location: Wenatchee, WA

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by oldmxer95 » 09:07 pm May 11 2019

Just got back from an event here in the northwest called Class X. If focuses on 2 strokes from every era. Rode my KDX with the YZ426F forks in the Revolution 2, 60+ Intermediate and they worked fantastic. Now I may have a little work to do on the rear end but the front was way better than the stock forks. I still need to figure out a permanent solution for the steering stops. Anyone got ideas?
95 KDX 200H, 78 KX250A4, 78 RM125C
If it doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, then it must be someone else's hobby. :kick:

User avatar
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 518
Joined: 02:58 pm Mar 10 2016
Country:

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by doakley » 01:37 pm May 12 2019

What’s the problem, new forks hitting the tank? Try drilling and tapping an aluminum bolt into the Yamaha steering stops to let them hit the bolt heads. Not sure if this approach works for Yamaha but it worked when I put KX forks on my KDX.

User avatar
oldmxer95
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I
Posts: 40
Joined: 10:35 pm May 16 2018
Country: USA
Location: Wenatchee, WA

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by oldmxer95 » 02:17 pm May 12 2019

Thanks, I'll take a look to see if that will work.
95 KDX 200H, 78 KX250A4, 78 RM125C
If it doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, then it must be someone else's hobby. :kick:

User avatar
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 518
Joined: 02:58 pm Mar 10 2016
Country:

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by doakley » 08:40 am May 13 2019

So here’s a question. If you have the entire YZ rolling chassis, which is a known good handling bike, why not just move the KDX engine into the YZ frame? Must be possible.

User avatar
oldmxer95
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I
Posts: 40
Joined: 10:35 pm May 16 2018
Country: USA
Location: Wenatchee, WA

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by oldmxer95 » 10:35 am May 14 2019

I only had the front fork assembly not the whole rolling chassis.
95 KDX 200H, 78 KX250A4, 78 RM125C
If it doesn't burn dead dinosaurs, then it must be someone else's hobby. :kick:

User avatar
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 518
Joined: 02:58 pm Mar 10 2016
Country:

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by doakley » 01:47 pm May 14 2019

oldmxer95 wrote:
10:35 am May 14 2019
I only had the front fork assembly not the whole rolling chassis.
Sorry, that post was directed to Hendrikder who said he had everything but the YZ motor.

Hendrikder
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: 12:08 pm Mar 12 2019
Country: South Africa

Re: YZ250F forks onto KDX

Post by Hendrikder » 12:42 am May 15 2019

doakley wrote:
01:47 pm May 14 2019
oldmxer95 wrote:
10:35 am May 14 2019
I only had the front fork assembly not the whole rolling chassis.
Sorry, that post was directed to Hendrikder who said he had everything but the YZ motor.
You see the thing is it is a friend of mine who wants to sell the bike as parts, so I can get a decent prize on the front end. Would be out of my price range to buy the entire frame.

I will be taking on this project in the coming months, putting the YZ front end into the KDX.

Will keep you updated, so the only problem I see is with the steering stop at the moment?

Kind Regards
Ride or Die
2005 KDX 200

Post Reply