Lowering links, KLX/KDX

A service reference
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Lowering links, KLX/KDX

Post by zomby woof »

I'm only 5'7"/155lbs.
The rear suspension, aside from the bike being too tall, is also too stiff for my liking.
I knew nothing about lowering links, so I read up on the Koubalink site, thought it looked like the ideal solution to my problem, and bought a set of the KDX 1 links. I really wanted the KDX 2's, but the guy I bought them from convinced me that the 1 would be better.
After installation, the rear dropped about an inch, and without making any adjustments, felt plusher, and more comfortable right away. I haven't done any high speed riding yet, but on my property, I can definitely feel the difference. This got me thinking. If the 1's were good, the 2's must be better :razz:
I'm too cheap to spend the money, so I took a few measurements, and made up a few sets to experiment with. They aren't fancy, but when I settle on one, I'll radius the ends, drill some lightening holes, and fancy them up a bit.

The stock link has a center to center distance of 112.5 mm. You can see this conveniently stamped on the side. The KdX 1 link has a cd of 118 mm. I contacted a guy on Thumpertalk who has a set of KDX 3 links, and he measured a cd of 124 mm. As you increase the center to center distance of the link, the leverage (moment) changes, and a few things happen. The wheel rate lessens (softer rear suspension), the bike is lowered, and the travel increases. For me, it's exactly what I want.
I made up a few sets to experiment with, and when i get a chance to try them, I'll post the results.
Here are the numbers.

Stock 112.5
KDX 1 118
KDX 2 ??
KDX 3 124
Stock KLX250 117
My home made links 120, 124

Notice that the stock KLX 250 link is 117 (I looked at mine, it's stamped on the side as well), so if you could get a set of these, you'd see about a 1" drop without any adjustment, and a little softer suspension. Note that you can also adjust the drop out, and just use it to soften up the rear a bit. It could be a budget tuning solution for your rear suspension.

I mistakenly thought the KDX 1 was 116 (bad memory), and knew the KDX 3 was 124, so I made the assumption that the KDX 2 was 120. Looking at the number, it;s probably 121 (but I can't be be sure of this), so the 120 may turn out to be perfect, or totally not perfect. We'll see.

If you want to make your own set, you will need 2 pcs. of 1/4 x 1 1/4" (or 1 1/2") flat bar, and a 15 mm drill bit. Mine are 1 1/2" milled down to 1.3", but 1 1/4" would work fine. The stock links are 6 mm thickness, so the 1/4" is only .010" thicker, and will work just fine.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Any update?
Which one did you finally used and how much have you lowered the front end to compensate?

thanks
Wilf
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Definitely change the spring out if you can't get the sag right.

http://www.harrymoto.com/MX/RaceSag/set ... ce_sag.htm

FYI, you're really hindering the shock's performance if you are just doing this so you can flat foot the bike. tippy-toes is A-OK! Plus, if you can't get the sag right because you're too light, you're going get closer to the ground when you can.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

thanks for the link fuz, this one is mucho better than the one from the kawi website.
The lowering link is for my GF, she's 5'1 or something and never rode a dirt bike. I wanna get the bike as low as possible so she feels comfy riding it and learning the basics. I'm not sure how much she'll like it, so I wanna keep everything low cost for now, if she likes riding I'll get different springs and whatnot.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

If she's a beginner, the spring/shock won't be that important to her.
The decreased wheel rate will be welcome by me. I'm light and I like my suspension really soft. I haven't installed any. The riding season is just starting here, and the KDX is still in pieces.
Ontario, Canada
GS

Re: Lowering links, KLX/KDX

Post by GS »

Happy Near Year Fellas!
Has there been any follow-up to the experiment with link-lengths?
The wife (5'3") is on a newer XT250 now, but has ridden an older GasGas 300 and loved the lighter weight.

So, I'm thinking about knocking the dust off my stock KDX220 and lowering it for her. Any suggestions as to what works....I've been reading, but kinda hate to start experimenting from scratch :?
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Lowering links, KLX/KDX

Post by zomby woof »

I used the KDX 1 link on my bike, and cut the seat down. With that I could easily flat foot, and I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. At my weight, 155, the wheel rate was perfect. If your wife is lighter, then the KDX2 link/120 mm length should be very comfortable for her with the seat cut down a little bit.
Ontario, Canada
GS

Re: Lowering links, KLX/KDX

Post by GS »

Thanks Zomby, I appreciate the help!
jackbombay

Lowering links, KLX/KDX

Post by jackbombay »

This thread is killer, I just welded two pieces of 1/4 flat stock together, drilled 3/8" inch holes in the appropriate places and now just need the 15mm drill bit to show up from amazon.

My dogbones are 127mm center to center, way long, no wonder my rear tire rubs when the suspension is fully compressed. I went just slightly longer than stock (114mm) but can easily make more once I have the 15mm drill bit...