Some mods to our 2002 KDX200

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Michael Lueders

Some mods to our 2002 KDX200

Post by Michael Lueders »

We had a tired KDX200 sitting for some time. It had been flogged without mercy by our teenage boy. I decided it was time my oldest daughter step up and ditch the tank of a bike she was riding..CRF230 and start riding the 200...

So I went to work.. suspension, top end, trials tire, shaved seat etc..
Details over here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... p?t=526826

NOTE:
I really do hope it's ok to link out of this site..I really don't want my first post to get me in hot water!!!! :shock:

Anyway..a member of this board suggested I post over here and say what I was saying over there..

In a nutshell..The KDX was never our fav bike. Kinda a redheaded step child gathering dust in the garage. It came down to buy a new bike..no money, or do what we could with the KDX...So I went about making some changes once I got the budget approved. The idea was to get the thing more ridable, fix the sacked out suspension and see if it would be a decent bike.

Well I am VERY pleased with the results!!

Had I known all the issues I so disliked could be corrected and made MUCH better I would have done it all long ago. I know, I know..you read all the time from so many sources on how this bike or that bike is so great and then you ride them and are like..who the heck was smoking crack when they wrote that about this bike..So I was kind dubious about the KDX being a good project contender. The bike is not a push your eyeballs back in your head barn burner..it was never meant to be. What the KDX IS, is a very well suited single track tool. It's light, nimble and flickable. The bike used to push the front end and tuck in a heartbeat..now it rails! Hold the throttle open and start the bombing runs...it goes where you want it to and all without a big fanfare! very nice indeed!

As stated in the above linked thread..I ride enduros on a TE450 and have riding trials events on my Montesa...we have many other bikes..I think I have a new "second" favorite bike....

The point of all this? I really think the stock suspension on the KDX does the bike a HUGE disservice..once fixed the bike is very nice..as it was intended to be.

who knew what we had sleeping in the corner in the garage all these years!!
:supz:

BTW..FRP did the legs on the bike..very happy with service and work!!
VERY happy indeed!!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Good deal, glad you got it working for you daughter. As she grows and needs more juice on tap and a more aggressive suspension the bike can grow with her. The stock pipe and reeds really choke the bike down quite a bit. Read thru the archived posts here and you'll find pretty much everything that can be done and then some. :supz:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

glad to see you made it! Have fun on the KDX!
Michael Lueders

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:Good deal, glad you got it working for you daughter. As she grows and needs more juice on tap and a more aggressive suspension the bike can grow with her. The stock pipe and reeds really choke the bike down quite a bit. Read thru the archived posts here and you'll find pretty much everything that can be done and then some. :supz:
It's a whole different bike than the CRF230 for her..upgrades are on the horizon soon. Pipe, intake and perhaps a flywheel weight would make it a very nice green smokin tractor for technical single track! :wink:

The next mod it's getting is a larger tank!!
Michael Lueders

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:glad to see you made it! Have fun on the KDX!
Thanks for the tip!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

glad to help. As for the tank, go with the clarke 3.6 gallon. One of our members bought it and did a write-up on it with pics http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... larke+tank