Clutch Woes

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
dc2012
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Clutch Woes

Post by dc2012 »

So I haven't had this bike long. I have now lowered it with links, replaced the fork boots, re-covered the seat, done some carb work, and replaced all the fluids. It's a 98 KDX200. It's running great except one thing. When the engine is off and I pull the clutch, the bike doesn't freewheel when it's in gear. It acts like the clutch doesn't work. When the engine is running and I'm starting off first, I have to let the clutch 3/4 the way out before it starts to grab at all. So on one hand my clutch is acting like it doesn't work and on the other hand it's acting like It's overly engaged. I'm not sure if this is a fluid thing or not because I habitually keep it in neutral when pushing it around so I never noticed if this is a problem it had previously or if I created it. Clutches are not something I'm much familiar with so guidance would be great. Thanks everyone.

DC
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clutch Woes

Post by Molly's 70 »

Check for grooves in your clutch basket.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Completely normal for a KDX. Some folks running ATF report that it gets a bit better with the thinner oil. The 220s are the same way, pull the clutch and its a bear to push around if not in N.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have had a few off-road bikes. All of them don't move well with the engine off and clutch pulled in.

How much free play do you have at the lever gap in the perch?

Since it is 22 years old, the plates or basket may be worn. If you decide to take it apart to check, you may want to have a service manual and new OEM gasket handy.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sounds like a normal dirt bike IMO/IME. Even my buddy's new YZ250X is the same way.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

+1 mine does it. The oil sticks the plates together like glue.
I like turtles
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

That's how I've always known dirtbikes (or street, atv) to act. It's like when someone push starts a bike they always do in neutral and then when up to speed, kick it into gear. If it was in first with the clutch in, they'd never get it going quick enough to bump start. My 220 has a new ProX basket and new Oem steels, frictions, and springs and I have to let the clutch out most of the way before it starts to move. I like it becuase it makes it easy to modulate slip with one finger. I believe what you're experiencing is normal but an inspection would be good insurance to see if anything is out of spec.
dc2012
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dc2012 »

Man that's interesting. My CRF freewheels like a champ when I pull in the clutch, running or not. My other two bikes are hondas so maybe that's why it seems abnormal to me.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The Hondas use a different clutch arrangement where the clutch actuates opposite of the KDX. You note this by where the clutch cable enters the case (on the left for the CRF and a lot of the newer MX bikes), on the right attached to a lever arm on the KDX and most of your older enduro bikes. My RMX does the same thing, though not quite as bad.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I don't ride no junky Hondas!! :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128