Help ID pins found after rebuild

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
RC_ichard

Help ID pins found after rebuild

Post by RC_ichard »

Ughhhhh, i have always seen these types of posts and think to myself 'how can you be so careless that you forget to put back a bolt/washer/pin/etc' yet here i found myself in this very situation.

The pins in question are about 5.75mm x 11.75mm and have a rounded side and a flat side with a 2mm dimple in the center. Both pins have the same rounded side and flat dimple side, which kinda made them stand out to me and left hopes someone may recognize what these went to. The pins did have some build up on them which made me thing it was an external part, but in the state of the maintenance when i got it means that grime could have been internal or external.

My first instinct was to check the gasket location pins on the jug, head, and KIPS covers - but all of those were well in place and overall too small to match the pins. I checked out the parts fisch and found 99% of the pins used are listed as "610: PIN DOWEL 4X8 - 610A0408" and all of them listed in the fisch were present. There are no other pins i could find in the OEM parts guide - so im leaning to say they are from another project and just got missed until just now.... but want to check with the community first incase anyone with lots of KDX maintenance and work recognized them with that unique dimple on each pin

I posted some photos below, take a look and let me know if you have any ideas!!
Pins_and_size.jpg
Pins_and_size.jpg (72.28 KiB) Viewed 2789 times
Close_up_pins2.jpg
Close_up_pins2.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 2789 times

------------------------------More Background Info------------------------------------
Im wrapping up a restoration job on a 2002 KDX200-H8 and have been working though endless parts that were broken, stuck, or missing which has drawn this project out over a year now from the initial disassembly - so you can understand why its not all super fresh in my memory.

None the less, i finished a fresh top-end and extremely detailed KIPS cleaning and got the engine all buttoned up then started to move to the frame to install the swingarm and forks so i have a rolling chassis to mount the engine back in. Since I'm done with all the parts washing, i decided to empty out the washer and low and behold - two pins were sitting there in the bottom that i have no clue where they came from.

Full disclosure, i did work on another enduro bike, two other small 2-stroke engines, a lawn mower, and a few other small projects over the same period so its possible the parts are not even from the KDX. As far as the KDX was concerned, the bike was stripped down to the frame and had everything refreshed or replaced including every possible gear, chain, bearing, seal, front/rear calipers & master cylinders, cables, hoses, etc so it could have come from anywhere on the bike. The engine case itself was never split, and the side covers were not removed yet, so that only leaves the KIPS and top-end rebuild and exterior pins as possible contenders on the engine.

My first instinct was to check the gasket location pins on the jug, head, and KIPS covers - but all of those were well in place and overall too small to match the pins. I checked out the parts fisch and found 99% of the pins used are listed as "610: PIN DOWEL 4X8 - 610A0408" and all of them listed in the fisch were present. There are no other pins i could find in the OEM parts guide - so im leaning to say they are from another project and just got missed until just now.... but want to check with the community first incase anyone with lots of KDX maintenance and work recognized them with that unique dimple on each pin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for all the help along the way!!

-Rich
Last edited by RC_ichard on 02:27 am Jul 08 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Help ID pins found after rebuild

Post by Slick_Nick »

Dowels. Used in a few places throughout the engine. Two between the cylinder and head, one in the water pump, and one on each KIPS cover.
'00 KDX 220R
RC_ichard

Post by RC_ichard »

That was my first thought too, but found all of them were accounted for on the bottom end-to-jug, jug-to-head, and kips covers and the ones used in all of those parts are smaller then the extra ones found. Part Number: 610: PIN DOWEL 4X8 - 610A0408 that are 4mm x 8mm where the ones i found are almost 6mm x 12mm.

Anyways, thanks for the help man!! If you, or anyone, happened to recoginze them from somewhere else i may have overlooked I'm open to check any suggestions!
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

shifter pawl?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Part number 610A0612, used on the clutch cover (locating pin for the clutch cover to RH engine cover)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

(Family Fued clapping and response... GOOD ANSWER, GOOD ANSWER)

bottom right, 610A reference number

Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
RC_ichard

Post by RC_ichard »

Thanks guys! I did have that cover off before i started the top and everything - going to pull the side cover tonight and double check there!
RC_ichard

Post by RC_ichard »

Well, first off i want to thank everyone for throwing out suggestions and helping me research possible causes!!! :prayer:

This afternoon, i was getting ready to check the clutch cover and my neighbor walked over to the garage. I explained my worries about the pins, and happened to have them on the work bench so he decided to take a look. First thing out of his mouth was 'well these look like they used bearing roller pins for whatever they are' and it dawns on me.... the lower steering stem bearing exploded when i was getting it off with a cold chisel.

Even better - I don't throw away any old/damaged parts removed from a project (seals, cables, bearings, etc) until i have the job finished and verify the end product is working as expected... just in case i need to reference back to what i had on there previously if i run into issues following a change.

Well sure enough, check out what i found below in my KDX bad parts bin!! Steering stem roller bearing with an exploded cage and missing a few rollers. I dug around the ground by the washer where the bearing exploded and found the 3rd missing roller on the carpet rug next to the garage door. :supz:
Pin_Source_found_SteeringStem_Bearing
Pin_Source_found_SteeringStem_Bearing
Pin_Source_Bearing.jpeg (193.29 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Anyways, im really glad to find the true source and can continue with my project and fire it up without the fear of missing parts. Again, a huge thanks for everyone looking into it and trying to help me figure it out! :drinkers:
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Well, they will still work as locating pins if you need them. They aren't square though, slightly tapered if they came out of a roller bearing, so one end will be slightly larger diameter than the other. This is one of the reasons (I keep telling myself) that I never throw away old parts lol
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations. Thanks for the follow up.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128