Super rich, impossible to jet help please

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ncdogman

Re: Super rich, impossible to jet help please

Post by ncdogman »

Ya I'm beginning to not like the KDX line. My YZ, CRF, or Big Bear 400 has given me no issues. The worst thing, guess why I still have this green booger, when I had to drive 5 hours to pick the KDX up, I blew up my Nissan truck, and had to buy a new truck. Was an awlful day that day. Left the house at 6am on a Sunday, didn't get home till 3 am Monday morning!!! This dam green machine has a curse on it!!! Anyone want the piece of crap?? LOL
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"Ya I'm beginning to not like the KDX line."

You have a carburetor issue, not a KDX issue. That is the same as if I said you had a Nissan issue, not a "whatever the root cause was" issue.

Getting a Ford or a YZ won't fix either.

Older YZ's came with PWK Keihin before air stryker.

You have a 19 year old bike with 19 year old bike problems.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
treelimb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by treelimb »

"Ya I'm beginning to not like the KDX line. My YZ, CRF, or Big Bear 400 has given me no issues. The worst thing, guess why I still have this green booger, when I had to drive 5 hours to pick the KDX up, I blew up my Nissan truck, and had to buy a new truck. Was an awlful day that day. Left the house at 6am on a Sunday, didn't get home till 3 am Monday morning!!! This dam green machine has a curse on it!!! Anyone want the piece of crap?? LOL"

YES SIR I want it. Are you within 200ish miles from Cedar Bluff,Alabama? I'll come get it Friday.
So I am having super rich carb issues as I type this. Ordered and just got a jet block gasket which should clear mine up. My KDX is a 1997 but virtually everything on it is new. Carb rebuilt. Making BR7 plugs wet. She is very tight and I've had her or she's had me going on 13 years,maybe longer.I could never get rid of her. You get yours straightened out and your entire perspective will change. My issue is close to being resolved.
ncdogman

Post by ncdogman »

Ya I'll probably have a different thought when I put the new carb on. So now the question is do I buy the air stryker, or keep it the PWK35 non air stryker? Thoughts on that? It's only $10 difference.
ncdogman

Post by ncdogman »

It's having typical jet block gasket symptoms, but that did not clear it up. Please post what happens to yours when you change the gasket. I'm wondering if your about to chase the same problem I am having.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I sure as heck hope not, as I will be helping him work on it over and over. :-)

I would go air stryker. You won't have the same setup as others, but what good has that done you this time around. :-)
ncdogman

Post by ncdogman »

Everyone says that the air stryker is much better then the non air version. Good thing is I have the entire range of jets and needles that are genuine keihin, so the only cost will be the carb.
ncdogman

Post by ncdogman »

One more stab at this maybe this will help someone else, or possibly me. I really do not notice any difference when I pull the choke knob when it is running. What is the mechanics of the choke system. Every other bike I check choke operation, when I apply choke with engine warmed up, it falls flat on its face, and loads slam up. The KDX, it runs the same, or pretty dam close to the same. I pulled the choke knob out, and everything clicks like it should, and moves like it should. I HATE running from this problem, rather then finding out what is causing it.....It's driving me CRAZY!!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What is the air screw at?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Yeah sorry to hear you're still having to mess with it. The only other things I could think of would be the slide, or the choke rubber piece not sealing up good so its on partial choke. That could explain running good with such a small main jet. I had a PWK 36 that would spray anything that was behind it with oil at, or near idle. Revved out just fine. Finally got tired of messing with it and bought a 38 air striker. Swapped the slides which were the same number and the 36 idled so high I had to shut it down right away. Kicked the idle down and it was perfect. So it ended being a worn out slide that physically looked good.

Those things I mentioned on the earlier posts about polishing the seat and setting the float height to 18mm was what I had to do to my brand new 35 air striker from Jets R Us before I could get my 220 to run right. I'd come out in the morning and have a big puddle of gas under the bike. I was so frustrated. Once you run gas through it, there are no returns. I was convinced that I had a defective carb. Its been good for a couple years though.
ncdogman

Post by ncdogman »

UPDATE: Got the 35mm Air Striker, installed a 40 pilot, and 150 main. DEK needle on middle clip #4.5 slide. Thing is a beast. Will stand up when you roll on the throttle. Does not load up. Idles just fine. Air screw at 2 turns out at 80 degrees and 3000' elevation. Getting awesome mileage. Problem fixed!!!!! Going this Wednesday to try it out on the OHV trails, tight single track. Seems we have another KDX brought back from the dead.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Just needed to clear its throat.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

SWEET! Enjoy that KDX!