Fender packs, backpacks, and tool kits.

Have a question about technique?
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

What tools do you guys take with you on the trails? There are gazillions on people out there with "the newest trail tool" that they want to sell you. What is worth taking, what is a waste of space? Home made tools? Do it your self fixes? Survival stuff?

For 6 years my dad and I rode twin KX 500s. (I started riding a 500 at age 14). We both rode with a fender pack on our front fenders. We had different tools in each so we were usually covered for the little stuff. Since then, I have lost most my tools and my dad has passes away. I'm starting to get in some good, hard, long rides like I used to with my dad. It's time to rebuild my tool kit(s). My KDX didn't come with the factory tool bag. I think I'm going to have one made to go around some kind of waterproof box/container.
GI_JO_NATHAN
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Fender packs, backpacks, and tool kits.

Post by GI_JO_NATHAN »

I keep some in a fender pack on the rear, and some in my camelbak.
I don't have anything crazy. Just enough to change a flat, adjust the carb, get to the air filter, and adjust every fastener on my handlebars.
A few extras, but I don't carry too much.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

The basics you can pretty much cover on your own by just thinking it out. Think of an old trip out and what could of went wrong or broke and go from there.

What Ill recommend is things to make it easier to carry and can get used for multiple things.

Zip ties. Works wonders for a flat tire on the trail. Especially if tire breaks bead.

Wrap a tool with some duct tape to use out on the trail.

Rags ....Rags and some more Rags you really never realize how much you need rags along the way. From either cleaning goggles to cleaning up from working on the trail and alas stop bleeding. Most often or not I always covered the rest but never seemed to have enough rags or rag.

If you do night riding bring two flashlights and extra batteries. It makes a huge difference on when you have worn out the one flashlights batteries while working on bike and having something to find something to cook and eat with and set up camp.

One thing with riding with a few buds is I noticed one was carrying a couple of those newer led flares. Thought that was a good addition and could come in handy in multiple ways.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

ICRage42 wrote:The basics you can pretty much cover on your own by just thinking it out. Think of an old trip out and what could of went wrong or broke and go from there.

What Ill recommend is things to make it easier to carry and can get used for multiple things.

Zip ties. Works wonders for a flat tire on the trail. Especially if tire breaks bead.

Wrap a tool with some duct tape to use out on the trail.

Rags ....Rags and some more Rags you really never realize how much you need rags along the way. From either cleaning goggles to cleaning up from working on the trail and alas stop bleeding. Most often or not I always covered the rest but never seemed to have enough rags or rag.

If you do night riding bring two flashlights and extra batteries. It makes a huge difference on when you have worn out the one flashlights batteries while working on bike and having something to find something to cook and eat with and set up camp.

One thing with riding with a few buds is I noticed one was carrying a couple of those newer led flares. Thought that was a good addition and could come in handy in multiple ways.
I always have zip ties with me, but how do you use them to change a flat tire or reset the bead on the rim with them?
Flashlights are a great idea. I haven't done any night ridding, but I plan to. I also want a few things I case I have to spend the night out. Flashlights fall into that category.

Tape and rags are also great ideas. This is the stuff I was hoping for by starting this thread. Thanks.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

zip ties Ive used for a flat front tire once so I know it works good. I didn't have spoons or spare tube or hell even a pump and was a good 8 miles or so to truck riding on my own to boot. If you zip tie the tire onto the rim and do it all the way around then you should be able to atleast be able to ride back to truck.

Essentially the rim lock fails you at this point and tire either spins on the rim or you force tire to dismount. If you zip tie the tire all the way around like every other spoke or so you can ride the bike. Its not fun but functional and if done right you can save the rim. Just go slow. Its a hillbilly tubliss system :partyman:
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Awesome idea. I'll keep that in mind for future adventures.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

morganid wrote:What tools do you guys take with you on the trails?
The answer to your question is a very personal choice. For me, the further I go with fewer riders farther from help = more survival gear and tools. With the KDX, I'm fairly limited on distance due to fuel. With the other bikes, I may get a hundred miles away from fuel, help, etc. I almost always carry the most basic wrenches, a few fasteners, zip ties, and some first aid basics with an Israeli Bandage being top on the list.

There's lots of ideas out there. Here's a good thread from another forum: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

Zip ties,blue plastic/rubber disposable gloves, shop towels,vice grips,8, 10 mm wrenches and t handles,Phillips and flat screwdriver,spare plug and wrench,master link,jb weld,lighter,cell phone,duct tape wrapped around a cotter pin,tow rope,trail marking tape,2-4 liters of fuel, power bars,water and a sandwich or 2 depending on the length of the ride! That's what I start out with on every ride, my riding buddy has a "spot" emergency gps beacon thing or I would carry one of those as well. I got a flat for the first time the last ride out.I rode it back to the truck real slow and made it no problems, I wish I had known about the zip tie thing around the tire,that's a good idea! I run a Dunlop at81 dessert tire and it is fairly new so, and I'm a lightweight so I think that's why everything stayed intact.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
treethreader

Post by treethreader »

Back in my younger years....during a ride on the famous....... (miss it so much,really awesome times for sure) blackwater 100 area. Anyway,Many fond memories there....... I lost my master link and of course my chain on the trail,...... right before the cabin mountain hill climb. One of my vet. blackwater riding buds saved my day! He...being a long time racer/rider had gained enough knowledge to keep a spare master link in his front wheel spokes just where they make an "X"......and he saved my ass that day! From that day fourth I have carried a spare in my spokes....knowing that it can't become lost as you may keeping it in a tool bag. So......... just thought i'd throw that little tid bit out for ya all. I have always thought that it was a really cool idea and wanted to share!
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/10 ... tool%20bag

my rear fender mounted moose pack consists of 8, 10, 12mm ratchet wrench, allen key kit, extra br8es and plug wrench(a requirement) 8 riot cuff zip ties, factory klx650 rear axle nut tool, small roll of gorilla tape, 21" tube in front, co2 cartridge for inflation, 30' parachute cord, 45cc 2 stroke mix, three extra 6x1.0mm bolts, bailing wire, gerber tool, master link kit, small pick tool, 3ft 16ga wire, and small vice grips. My buds and I coordinate tools, fuel, water, and first aid on big rides.

Like mentioned above, it's preference and experience. Think McGyver.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
203BikeLifeCHiNO

Post by 203BikeLifeCHiNO »

I always ride with a friend we both have Honda pit bikes (mine a xr50r with a yx140cc and his a crf70 same engine as mine) they always need to be worked on especially in the trails so we bring backpacks and split tools between us, I always bring 2 snap on socket sets 8mm-19 shallow and deep, 4 ratchets (1/4 drive 2 standard 3/8 and one long flex head 3/8), allen wrenches, hammer, bunch of screwdrivers, spoke wrench, zipties, rope, bungie cord, tape, other odds and ends, and lots of water lol! We never pack light usually both end up with 10-15 pound bags at least. Can't wait to get my KDX up and running maybe with a bike that needs less maintenance I'll be able to lighten the load up a bit. The amount of tools we bring may seem like overkill but they have all come in handy on multiple occasions!
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

tire irons
zip ties
loctite (small tube)
8,10, 12,13,14 mm wrenches
medium crescent (big enough for axles)
safety wire
led flashlight
ductape
lortab/pain killers
one tube
snacks
itchbgone
waterproof cellphone (for gps tracking, NOT for calling people ;-) )
baby wipes (thank you baby Jesus)
camel bak bladder
eat plugs
tow strap
if camping:
hammock
lighter
cellphone charger pack
flask
socks
tuna packs
granola
grapes
extra tow strap (two of these can span a long way for hammock use)
toiletries

i haven't camped off the kdx yet, but lots of camping off my drz, and occasionally car/truck camp.

if it won't fit in my back pack (40 liter osprey) it stays home
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

I'm surprised no one mentioned spare throttle and clutch cables. I've needed to change at least one of each while out on the trail, so for me these are must carry items.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Wrong, cables are things you make sure are operational and in good condition before you ride
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Agreed, but Murphy is always lurking.

In my case, in both instances the cables got caught on branches and broke as a result. A few minutes work installing the replacement and was back in the enduro with little time lost.
TimmyD

Post by TimmyD »

My dad, my brother and I just got the Ogio Flight Vest a couple months ago and we love them. Lots of compartments for carrying things like tools, rain gear, etc. We got ours on Amazon for like $100 (+ or -). They also have a pretty big hydration pack that comes with it. Well worth the money in my opinion if you do long rides.
2002 KDX 220