Smoking....

Causes and cures...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm with ya. Wifey and I are both trying to quit after the first of the year.
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

I made it 3 days cold turkey before I wanted to rip someones head off.I'm now back to almost a pack a day.For now weening down is my goal........Coming from packs 2 a day though its a improvement.For this week i bought 4 packs,pulled 4 from each pack to make five days worth of 16,next time I'll go to 15 and so on down the line.The biggest thing I've noticed is the less i smoke the more I can say no to just lighting up for no reason.I right now dont miss that extra pack or more a day......now If I just could go a week without stress but that won't happen in this lifetime.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

If you have prescription coverage & your plan covers CHANTIX, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. Worked for me and I was a 2 Pack a Day Smoker. Good Luck, it's a HARD HAIT TO BREAK!!!!!
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

my great aunt (aged 92 years) has a pack of (?brand) cigs that she has had put away for years. she quit cold turkey. i believe that pack is about (at least) 60 years aged. if she can do it even through the depression ... so can you!!!! and yes, it's unopened!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I'm with ya. Wifey and I are both trying to quit after the first of the year.
kissing is sooooooooo much more interesting when one doesn't have "ashtray" breath.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:If you have prescription coverage & your plan covers CHANTIX, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. Worked for me and I was a 2 Pack a Day Smoker. Good Luck, it's a HARD HAIT TO BREAK!!!!!
I did the same with Zyban.

It's like magic. No craving at all.

April 1 2011 will be 10 years for me. I smoked for 20 and tried to quit so many times I can't remember them all.
Ontario, Canada
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
KDX Butterfly wrote:my great aunt (aged 92 years) has a pack of (?brand) cigs that she has had put away for years. she quit cold turkey. i believe that pack is about (at least) 60 years aged. if she can do it even through the depression ... so can you!!!! and yes, it's unopened!
EBAY or SOUTHERBY's :supz:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
zomby woof wrote:>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:If you have prescription coverage & your plan covers CHANTIX, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. Worked for me and I was a 2 Pack a Day Smoker. Good Luck, it's a HARD HAIT TO BREAK!!!!!
I did the same with Zyban.

It's like magic. No craving at all.

April 1 2011 will be 10 years for me. I smoked for 20 and tried to quit so many times I can't remember them all.
:supz:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
KDX Butterfly wrote:my great aunt (aged 92 years) has a pack of (?brand) cigs that she has had put away for years. she quit cold turkey. i believe that pack is about (at least) 60 years aged. if she can do it even through the depression ... so can you!!!! and yes, it's unopened!
lol, Impressive. You should dig up the brand name and see if they're worth moneys. Antiques roadshow anyone?

I've gotten down to 2 or 3 a day. Not bad coming from 20 - 30. Only got to kick those last couple. I got some of that nicotine gum from employee welness on monday, hoping that will help for those moments when it's really tough.
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

If you are truly ready to quit, this could help make it a bit easier.
http://www.maxkirsten.com/stopsmoking/
Seems to be helping me anyway. I still get cravings here & there but I don't think about wanting a cig nearly as much as in past attempts to quit.
Plus this is pretty cheap. You aren't out much if it doesn't work for you.

I've had 2 cigs per day for the last 3 days. Down from a pack a day for the last 24 yrs. I've decided to attempt giving it up entirely for the next 3 days. If I can do that, I can quit for good.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've smoked for years; not heavy, a pack could last me a week. 3 or 4 cigs a day. About 6 months ago, now that I'm over 50, I had a colonography. That's different from a colonoscopy in that it's an MRI of your colon. The neat thing about them is you see not only your colon in a 3D image; inside AND outside, but you also see all the other organs around the colon.... including your lungs. While I passed with a good colon, a nodule was spotted on my left lower lobe of my lung. It's too soon to even say it's early stage lung cancer. I go in for another CAT scan in a week or so to see if it's getting larger or not. I can guarantee you that your doctor telling you they found something on your lung will get you to quit smoking.

The great thing about MRI's is their ability to see such things while they are still very small. I've recently had chest x-rays when I broke a few ribs riding with Wib and Carvr that didn't show any problems. That was about 3 months or so before the colonography/MRI. The not-so-great thing is that it's not a definitive diagnosis and could be something else entirely. It's much more likely that the nodule is due to damage to that area from a crash, (I did break ribs afterall, and it wasn't the first time either) an infection, pneumonia scarring, etc. And until you know what it is, you tend to worry. The anxiety isn't doing you any good while waiting either.
So, I quit smoking instantly, have only had very mild cravings and only need to recall the words my doctor told me, "We found something on your lung that could be cancer." in order to loose my craving. (and drive a cold spike of fear through my soul).
I'll probably be fine, but do yourselves a great big favor and do not wait for someone to give you any reason to suspect a diagnosis might include cancer.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Wow, Ski! Please keep us posted. Keeping you in my faith.

Sounds about like the making a really good commercial, "... but do yourselves a great big favor and do not wait for someone to give you any reason to suspect a diagnosis might include cancer." :wink:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Smoking....

Post by skipro3 »

Wow!

A blast from the past!

Been years. I'm alive and doin' fine.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Smoking....

Post by KDXGarage »

LOOK AT THIS GUY! :lol: :supz: :partyman:

Good to see you around!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128