1995 KDX220SR piston replace? Same as US models?

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 1995 KDX220SR piston replace? Same as US models?

Post by JimmyB »

Tokyotim wrote: 03:27 am Oct 20 2023
A bit of good news after scouring the internet in English i found this bike for sale, and after inspecting the shop it seems this guy is an expert on old two strokes especially the KDX. I cannot speak Japanese but I will send him a message about the pipe and also having some work done, and maybe getting some parts ordered that are hard to find. He’s about 3 hours from me not ideal but not the worst. When I finally get the piston here I will have him do the swap. I’ve talked to several shops here local and they don’t want to work on old bikes
https://9107809908.amebaownd.com/posts/19957261/
Thats good news finding a shop that specializes in the older bikes, even here it's getting hard to find shops that will work on the older stuff, even 10 years old. Might have to get in touch with him myself as it looks like he might also find bikes for customers, see if he does any exporting.

Looking at the photos on that link, in the 13th photo the FMF is mounted with the springs but you can see the stud for the flange mounted pipe, I wonder if they had to modify the FMF pipe or if it is just a swap, the exhaust port bore is the same size??

Interesting to see the little fold out foot pegs for a passenger..
02 KDX220
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Tokyotim wrote: 08:26 am Oct 19 2023
kdxdazz wrote: 09:08 am Oct 16 2023 you can't put OEM rings on the wiseco piston,you must order as a set
Can I bother you about one more thing, as far as pipes go it looks like from reading here the SR pipe attached differently than the US model, so pro circuit pipes, FMF pipes, you have to do some Frankenstein weld job cutting off the tip hold the old original pipe, and welding it on the new pipe because one bolts on and one uses springs or whatever? Are there any aftermarket pipes from any brand that will just bolt right up to the SR model?
the fmf pipe will go stright on to the SR cylinder as it has studs and holes to mount the springs
Attachments
191226.jpg
191226.jpg (153.67 KiB) Viewed 43140 times
191227.jpg
191227.jpg (105.83 KiB) Viewed 43140 times
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

kdxdazz wrote: 09:28 pm Oct 20 2023
kdxdazz wrote: 09:08 am Oct 16 2023 you can't put OEM rings on the wiseco piston,you must order as a set
Can I bother you about one more thing, as far as pipes go it looks like from reading here the SR pipe attached differently than the US model, so pro circuit pipes, FMF pipes, you have to do some Frankenstein weld job cutting off the tip hold the old original pipe, and welding it on the new pipe because one bolts on and one uses springs or whatever? Are there any aftermarket pipes from any brand that will just bolt right up to the SR model?
the fmf pipe will go stright on to the SR cylinder as it has studs and holes to mount the springs
Thanks for the photo, are you saying the FMF pipes have no issues fitting the SR model then?
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Tokyotim wrote: 02:19 am Oct 21 2023

Thanks for the photo, are you saying the FMF pipes have no issues fitting the SR model then?
correct, that is the case on both my kdx220sr's
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

Thanks legend
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Thanks. I was under the impression the flange had to be moved over. Someone on here years ago mentioned it. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

kdxdazz wrote: 07:47 am Oct 21 2023
Tokyotim wrote: 02:19 am Oct 21 2023

correct, that is the case on both my kdx220sr's

Here is a quote from the Japanese guy I mentioned, “ The pipe fits KDX220SR. However, to install it you will need Kawasaki part number 11009-1995 and two 92144-1035.”
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

KDXGarage wrote: 10:04 pm Oct 23 2023 WOW! Thanks. I was under the impression the flange had to be moved over. Someone on here years ago mentioned it. A picture is worth a thousand words.
As soon as I get my bike on Saturday back from the mechanic, I will take any photos you guys want, and make a separate post as well so if anyone needs some photos of something specific, maybe I can help
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

Here is a link to all the photos I have so far, I will take more when the bike arrives https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... vVVCZBoMH6
Tokyotim

Post by Tokyotim »

JimmyB wrote: 06:18 pm Oct 19 2023
Tim I'm curious, the 220SR pipe is a bolt on set up and the 220R is spring retainer, on my stock 02 220R OEM cylinder it has the flange mounts from the factory machined and threaded at approx. the 10/4 o'clock position on the exhaust port for me what looks like it would accept a bolt on pipe and the usual spring mount ears at the 9/3 o'clock position as for the spring mount pipe.
My question is what does the flange look like on the SR pipe that attaches to the cylinder, is it a flat flange that butts up to the face of the cylinder or does it have a sleeve on the flange that goes into the exhaust port and what is the bore ID size and depth of the exhaust port? Is the ex. port approx. 40mm ID?
I have never seen the exhaust port on a SR cylinder and was wondering if it just the mounting set up that is different between the 2 pipes and the cylinder might be machined bore size to accept both pipes. I have seen some 220R cylinders with the spring mount ears used and the area for the flange mount never drilled or threaded just flat, but mine has both. The cylinders for both models have the same part #s 11005-1744 and maybe it was easier for Kawasaki towards the last years of the 220 just to machine one cylinder to apply to both models and having both mounting types??

Thank you..
Hey bro made this video for you, quality should go to 4k after some time https://youtube.com/shorts/Vxug3d5iJbE? ... 8PMFgq2plP
JimmyB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JimmyB »

Tokyotim wrote: 01:23 pm Oct 30 2023
JimmyB wrote: 06:18 pm Oct 19 2023

Tim I'm curious, the 220SR pipe is a bolt on set up and the 220R is spring retainer, on my stock 02 220R OEM cylinder it has the flange mounts from the factory machined and threaded at approx. the 10/4 o'clock position on the exhaust port for me what looks like it would accept a bolt on pipe and the usual spring mount ears at the 9/3 o'clock position as for the spring mount pipe.
My question is what does the flange look like on the SR pipe that attaches to the cylinder, is it a flat flange that butts up to the face of the cylinder or does it have a sleeve on the flange that goes into the exhaust port and what is the bore ID size and depth of the exhaust port? Is the ex. port approx. 40mm ID?
I have never seen the exhaust port on a SR cylinder and was wondering if it just the mounting set up that is different between the 2 pipes and the cylinder might be machined bore size to accept both pipes. I have seen some 220R cylinders with the spring mount ears used and the area for the flange mount never drilled or threaded just flat, but mine has both. The cylinders for both models have the same part #s 11005-1744 and maybe it was easier for Kawasaki towards the last years of the 220 just to machine one cylinder to apply to both models and having both mounting types??

Thank you..
Hey bro made this video for you, quality should go to 4k after some time https://youtube.com/shorts/Vxug3d5iJbE? ... 8PMFgq2plP

Thank you and Kdxdazz for the photos, good to see the pipe will be a easy swap.. :grin:
02 KDX220