Lighting coil question??

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
KDXASH

Lighting coil question??

Post by KDXASH »

does the sr have two lighting coils?? If so do I rewind both for better lighting
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lighting coil question??

Post by bufftester »

The lack of responses is mainly due to the fact that the SR was never sold here in the States, so many of us have never seen one in the wild, let alone its private parts. If it does indeed have two lighting coils, then you can rewind them both. You will want to use a slightly thicker gauge that what is currently on there to generate more current.
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

bufftester wrote: 04:55 pm Jul 23 2019 The lack of responses is mainly due to the fact that the SR was never sold here in the States, so many of us have never seen one in the wild, let alone its private parts. If it does indeed have two lighting coils, then you can rewind them both. You will want to use a slightly thicker gauge that what is currently on there to generate more current.
I think I read somewhere that it does. Won't a thicker gauge generate more heat??
I like turtles
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

The thicker wire lowers the resistance and therefore the heat but carries more current, thinner would give more heat and lower current but a higher voltage. V=IR Since lights are rated at 12V, you want to get as much current as possible (because your regulator cuts you off at 12volts anyways). There are limits obviously and you have to work within the physical constraints of the existing coil size. IIRC I used 17 gauge coated magnet wire, bought a 1 pound spool (probably used about 1/4 of it, it was the smallest I could find)
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

bufftester wrote: 07:33 pm Jul 25 2019 The thicker wire lowers the resistance and therefore the heat but carries more current, thinner would give more heat and lower current but a higher voltage. V=IR Since lights are rated at 12V, you want to get as much current as possible (because your regulator cuts you off at 12volts anyways). There are limits obviously and you have to work within the physical constraints of the existing coil size. IIRC I used 17 gauge coated magnet wire, bought a 1 pound spool (probably used about 1/4 of it, it was the smallest I could find)
Interesting. I just rewound a coil with 18awg. Couldn’t get the dang thing as tight as the original. I bought 100’ for like 10 bucks on eBay.
I like turtles