Brighter headlight?

Discussion specific to KDX models not sold in the USA
AndrewB
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Brighter headlight?

Post by AndrewB »

Recently acquired 1994 SR 220 (ex Japan), and been converting to as close as possible 220R specs (basically 33mm carb + boots and airbox). So far so good - now feels pretty much like the unrestricted one I had when I was a lad - and its road registered :-)

Only catch is the headlight is like having a candle in a jam jar! Does anyone have any suggestions for brightening it up a bit? Was wondering if LED or something might give more light for no more power drain.. I am a bit wary of just putting a brighter halogen in as there is no battery and everything comes off the coil (presumably at the expense of the spark...). Does LED need anything extra apart from the bulb?
jstcraig
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Brighter headlight?

Post by jstcraig »

AndrewB wrote:Recently acquired 1994 SR 220 (ex Japan), and been converting to as close as possible 220R specs (basically 33mm carb + boots and airbox). So far so good - now feels pretty much like the unrestricted one I had when I was a lad - and its road registered :-)

Only catch is the headlight is like having a candle in a jam jar! Does anyone have any suggestions for brightening it up a bit? Was wondering if LED or something might give more light for no more power drain.. I am a bit wary of just putting a brighter halogen in as there is no battery and everything comes off the coil (presumably at the expense of the spark...). Does LED need anything extra apart from the bulb?
G’day not sure if this is relevant but I have recently put a led rear tail light on my 91sr without any issues, strobes a bit at idle but that’s all, the headlight globe in the 91 is only 47mm total length and the LED that I’ve seen are around 60mm+ so you might find that clearance is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk