2000 KDX 200 Revival

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ebulic19
Supporting Member

2000 KDX 200 Revival

Post by ebulic19 »

2000 KDX 200 Revival

My first full size bike back in 2020 at the onset of COVID was a 2002 KDX 220 for $850 that I got for a steal. It didn’t shift as a piece of KIPS actuator broke off and got wedged into the shift pawl. The guy sold it likely thinking the bottom end was no good. An afternoon project for my old man and I and we got it shifting like new. I rode that thing for about a year and during the process it got my dad back into dirt biking at 61 years old. I rode the KDX until I sold it for an 13’ XCF 350, which I eventually sold and went to a counterbalanced Austrian 300. I still have that bike but I missed that first KDX and everything it stood for, so I began to scrounge facebook marketplace. Eventually I stumbled upon a 2000 KDX 200, which was the cheapest most expensive bike I could have bought. Anyways so my dad and I began to tear into it.

We started at the back and worked our way to the front of the bike.

Rear wheel bearings were smooth, but the bike was missing the retaining circlip. We installed tubliss, a fresh rotor, and rear sprocket. The rear pads were worn and the caliper looked tired, so we rebuilt that and bled the rear brake with fresh dot 4 (there was minimal fluid when we first opened up the master cylinder).

The swingarm bearings, linkage bearings and shock bushing were all completely shot so we had to installed those. Went with pivot works on all of these and was generally pleased. I think the swingarm bearings were caged with minimal rollers, but generally worth the money (i guess time will tell). The rocker connecting rod on the linkage was also completely wallowed out so we had to replace that. I also sent my shock out to Corey at Protune to have it revolved, sprung, and serviced.

The kickstand pivot was wallowed out, so we had built it up with weld to tighten up the pivot, which turned out great. The chain slider block was also missing so replaced that along with a fresh o-ring chain and renthal front sprocket to compensate for the play in the output shaft. I had read on here these have tighter tolerances. New rollers as well for the chain.

The silencer core had snapped off inside of the muffler, which we discovered when we went to repack the exhaust. To fix that we drilled out the rivets, cut down the body of the silencer a 1/2 inch and basically sandwiched the core between the end cap and the base of the silencer. The rubber connector between the header and the silencer was split and oil was coating the swingarm and engine case.

From there we rebuilt the carb with all new gaskets and jet block gasket which was rock hard and set the float. A fresh throttle cable was run to the carb. The petcock was also leaking so replaced that with the Yamaha alternative.

I picked up a KX250F kicker and we installed that since the OEM kicker had a ton of play in it and hard to kick the bike without your foot sliding off. Installing that was a breeze, we clearanced the kicker for the frame and the clutch cover. We didn’t need any spacers since we put a shoulder on the 17MM nut we had which allowed us to put the kicker further on the shaft. Didn’t have to cut the kickerstarter down short for gas tank clearance either which worked out well.

For the front end we rebuilt the front caliper, fresh pads, and fresh rotor. Also, did the KLX 300 swap which I got from my cousin for free which was awesome. I rebuilt those using the Pivot works rebuild kit with all bushings, o-rings, seals, sprung them for my weight, and used some 7WT belray fork oil. Replaced the front steering stem bearings as well.

Final touch was IMS core enduro footpegs with fresh springs and pins since those were OEM from 2000. Should note that the main reason I bought this bike is because the engine was completely fresh with a fresh cylinder and top end so nothing was done to that.

All in all, our goal was to get this bike in good running condition. It may not be the prettiest but I am excited to race it next year at mid-ohio vintage days.

Thanks for reading! I couldn’t have done some of the best mods to this bike without this site and the wealth of knowledge.
Attachments
KLX 300 triples with overspray
KLX 300 triples with overspray
IMG_7331.jpeg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 3294 times
Exhaust core broken off
Exhaust core broken off
IMG_7294.jpeg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3294 times
Swingarm bearings shot and oversprayed by PO
Swingarm bearings shot and oversprayed by PO
IMG_7290.jpeg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 3294 times
Before 2
Before 2
IMG_7270.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 3294 times
Before - yes it came with a seat
Before - yes it came with a seat
IMG_7267.jpeg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 3294 times
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Re: 2000 KDX 200 Revival

Post by ebulic19 »

Here are the remainder of the photos part 1/2
Attachments
IMS Footpegs - way better for my big feet
IMS Footpegs - way better for my big feet
IMG_7376.jpeg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
Installed front end - built up some weld on the steering stop.
Installed front end - built up some weld on the steering stop.
IMG_7372.jpeg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
Fresh rebuild on front forks
Fresh rebuild on front forks
IMG_7356.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
Swingarm rebuilt with fresh slider as well
Swingarm rebuilt with fresh slider as well
IMG_7343.jpeg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
Triples after buffing
Triples after buffing
IMG_7332.jpeg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Post by ebulic19 »

Part 2/2 thanks for looking !
Attachments
Final product sans the front number plate
Final product sans the front number plate
IMG_7388.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
Shock shaft was surprisingly in good shape
Shock shaft was surprisingly in good shape
IMG_8701.jpeg (3.95 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
Kicker installed
Kicker installed
IMG_7383.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
Modified nut
Modified nut
IMG_7382.jpeg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 3293 times
jedidan45

Post by jedidan45 »

Very cool bike and excellent work!
Long live the KDX and all hail King Fredette!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome and good work, she's looking ready to race.
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Congratulations!

I'm glad to see another one restored back to its peak Glory! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have two almost identical 220's, although my first ('99) is overdue for a complete rebuild this winter and has been out of commission for three seasons since I got a really nice '97 220.

My buddy and I traded bikes for an hour or so as he was getting beat to death on his XR 400. He absolutely loved my KDX 220, and didn't want to trade back! He later rode my buddies 2021 Husqvarna TE300i before we load it up. He definitely was gushing about how awesome of a bike the Austrian TPI 300 was, but he told me privately that honestly he would rather ride my 220! I've got my 220 extremely well dialed despite wanting to upgrade the KLX forks to something better this winter, and all of my KDX buddies that ride 200's or a KDX250 love riding my 220 the most out of any of the KDX's, & I much prefer a modded KDX220 over my wife's KTM 200 XC-W even. They're great bikes. The KTM definitely has a lot of nicer features, but a modified 220 definitely is the better tool for tight woods riding. Don't get me wrong, a KTM 200 is an amazing bike as well. There are a lot of things that are a little bit nicer than what the KDX has, but that's why the KTM cost more new, all of those dished out bolt heads, the aluminum seat subframe, aluminum shifter and brake pedal etc... And a proper enduro kickstand. All of these mods can be done to the KDX aside from the aluminum seat subframe, and the KDX will still be cheaper in the end in the 220 especially I will vouch for being an absolutely incredible technical terrain hard enduro weapon.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Post by ebulic19 »

Chuck78 wrote: 03:12 pm Nov 08 2023 Congratulations!

I'm glad to see another one restored back to its peak Glory! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I have two almost identical 220's, although my first ('99) is overdue for a complete rebuild this winter and has been out of commission for three seasons since I got a really nice '97 220.

My buddy and I traded bikes for an hour or so as he was getting beat to death on his XR 400. He absolutely loved my KDX 220, and didn't want to trade back! He later rode my buddies 2021 Husqvarna TE300i before we load it up. He definitely was gushing about how awesome of a bike the Austrian TPI 300 was, but he told me privately that honestly he would rather ride my 220! I've got my 220 extremely well dialed despite wanting to upgrade the KLX forks to something better this winter, and all of my KDX buddies that ride 200's or a KDX250 love riding my 220 the most out of any of the KDX's, & I much prefer a modded KDX220 over my wife's KTM 200 XC-W even. They're great bikes. The KTM definitely has a lot of nicer features, but a modified 220 definitely is the better tool for tight woods riding. Don't get me wrong, a KTM 200 is an amazing bike as well. There are a lot of things that are a little bit nicer than what the KDX has, but that's why the KTM cost more new, all of those dished out bolt heads, the aluminum seat subframe, aluminum shifter and brake pedal etc... And a proper enduro kickstand. All of these mods can be done to the KDX aside from the aluminum seat subframe, and the KDX will still be cheaper in the end in the 220 especially I will vouch for being an absolutely incredible technical terrain hard enduro weapon.
I am scared that this might be the bike I grab for on my weekend rides. Just the quick ride around the backyard and the bike really feels like a mountain bike with a motor based on how nimble it feels.

Thanks for checking out my post. Howdy from OH as well.
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Post by ebulic19 »

bufftester wrote: 07:58 pm Nov 07 2023 Welcome and good work, she's looking ready to race.
Thanks for checking it out!
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Post by ebulic19 »

jedidan45 wrote: 03:23 pm Nov 07 2023 Very cool bike and excellent work!
Appreciate it
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

ebulic19 wrote: 06:25 pm Nov 08 2023
I am scared that this might be the bike I grab for on my weekend rides. Just the quick ride around the backyard and the bike really feels like a mountain bike with a motor based on how nimble it feels.

Oh yeah? Where at in Ohio are you? Do you ride Wayne National Forest, Pike State Forest, or Perry State Forest? We're an hour or so from all 3 here newr downtown Columbus
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Post by ebulic19 »

Chuck78 wrote: 08:07 am Nov 09 2023
ebulic19 wrote: 06:25 pm Nov 08 2023

Oh yeah? Where at in Ohio are you? Do you ride Wayne National Forest, Pike State Forest, or Perry State Forest? We're an hour or so from all 3 here newr downtown Columbus
Up near CLE. I have ridden Wayne and Perry a couple of times. Perry I actually really like, they have some nice cut singletack. Hopefully they keep the area open. I have never ridden Pike, how is that?

Outside of those places, I ride lightning and bear creek since they are closer. I did the Crow Canyon Turkey run this past weekend which was awesome.

Any other places you ride other than those state/national forests? I am always looking for new places to ride.
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

ebulic19 wrote: 01:05 pm Nov 09 2023

Up near CLE. I have ridden Wayne and Perry a couple of times. Perry I actually really like, they have some nice cut singletack. Hopefully they keep the area open. I have never ridden Pike, how is that?

Outside of those places, I ride lightning and bear creek since they are closer. I did the Crow Canyon Turkey run this past weekend which was awesome.

Any other places you ride other than those state/national forests? I am always looking for new places to ride.
Pike State Forest is a bit Southwest of Wayne National Forest, & is a bit like Wayne N. F. but also unique on it's own.
There's nice singletracks at Wayne National Forest, but they're not legal, although the Forest Service is FINALLY considering some legal singletracks at the Long Ridge area.

Perry State Forest official trails mostly are SxS trash roads and mud holes, but as you've found, there's a lot if real nice singletracking to be had there if you know where to look.

You've never ridden Wellsville Ohio??? If you're in CLE, and you love Perry State Forest, Wellsville (the Forbidden Zone Campground, $20/day to ride or ride/camp), well worth it... Most of the land surrounding the 175 acre dirtbike/ATV/SxS/4x4 campground property are massive plots owned by companies who just log them occasionally or have oil/gas/mineral rights to them, and most of the trails are on those lands.

YouTube search "Wellsville Quinn Wentzell" or Megs Braaap or Rich Larsen or Ryder LeBlond etc, you'll find some impressive hard enduro sections in their vids.
I'll link some pictures of the recent ride there when I destroyed my Mylers radiator (even WITH Devol radiator guards) via bending my pipe repeatedly on the hardest rock sections :doh:
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Here you go, I made a post in the Places To Ride subforum:

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=26097&p=226032

If you've never been to Wellsville much, you should definitely check it out vs Bear Creek etc... which just can't compare...
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Awesome build! What did you end up using for a front number plate?
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Post by ebulic19 »

VTMTcowboy wrote: 10:03 am Nov 14 2023 Awesome build! What did you end up using for a front number plate?
I used a KX125 front plate, i think 92-99 works, but requires some modification to get around the pinch bolts for the triple clamps and the brake line routing. There is a forum on here for that.
Last edited by ebulic19 on 07:01 pm Nov 15 2023, edited 1 time in total.
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Post by ebulic19 »

Chuck78 wrote: 09:30 pm Nov 13 2023
ebulic19 wrote: 01:05 pm Nov 09 2023

Pike State Forest is a bit Southwest of Wayne National Forest, & is a bit like Wayne N. F. but also unique on it's own.
There's nice singletracks at Wayne National Forest, but they're not legal, although the Forest Service is FINALLY considering some legal singletracks at the Long Ridge area.

Perry State Forest official trails mostly are SxS trash roads and mud holes, but as you've found, there's a lot if real nice singletracking to be had there if you know where to look.

You've never ridden Wellsville Ohio??? If you're in CLE, and you love Perry State Forest, Wellsville (the Forbidden Zone Campground, $20/day to ride or ride/camp), well worth it... Most of the land surrounding the 175 acre dirtbike/ATV/SxS/4x4 campground property are massive plots owned by companies who just log them occasionally or have oil/gas/mineral rights to them, and most of the trails are on those lands.

YouTube search "Wellsville Quinn Wentzell" or Megs Braaap or Rich Larsen or Ryder LeBlond etc, you'll find some impressive hard enduro sections in their vids.
I'll link some pictures of the recent ride there when I destroyed my Mylers radiator (even WITH Devol radiator guards) via bending my pipe repeatedly on the hardest rock sections :doh:
I haven't made it out to Wellsville, I know Pointview is somewhat managing it now so it seems to be on the up (used to hear about peoples stuff getting broken into) so i'd like to check it out. I have also heard its extremely easy to get lost, so i've asked some buddies in the past to go with me since they're familiar but timing never lined up. Anywho, I want to get out there for sure, enduro/hard enduro is really what i prefer riding and it looks like there is no shortage of it there lol.

Any recommendations to avoid getting lost? Or routes to follow? I saw you posted some screenshots of maps for rockier sections you rode, where you messed up your radiator, anything else?
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Just record your GPS tracks, download openstreetmaps app "OSMand" for Android or iPhone or the more advanced Locus Map app for Android-only, or a multitude of other apps. Polaris Ride Command is free and shows some public trail systems already, but not Wellsville, but you can at least record your tracks and you can select a map area to download for offline use. Locus and OSM are pretty advanced, with Locus being the most high-powered GPS app you could use but also a bit more learning curve. Free ad version, silver subscription, and gold subscription for $25 a year which includes unlimited downloads of their proprietary base map that is their version of the Open Street Maps with additional tweaks. Or you can use social ride sharing apps like Rever, or standard GPS apps like Gaia (doesn't really work that well offline but very popular) or Avenza Maps (you can't download entire States, you have to select from available maps from online sources, basically you could download National Forest Maps or other area maps and load them in avenza. Open Street Maps has a lot of advanced functionality but Locus has double that.

Slight chance we might be going to Wellsville the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving. Possibly Perry State Forest this Sunday but not sure.
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
ebulic19
Supporting Member

Post by ebulic19 »

Chuck78 wrote: 09:09 am Nov 16 2023 Just record your GPS tracks, download openstreetmaps app "OSMand" for Android or iPhone or the more advanced Locus Map app for Android-only, or a multitude of other apps. Polaris Ride Command is free and shows some public trail systems already, but not Wellsville, but you can at least record your tracks and you can select a map area to download for offline use. Locus and OSM are pretty advanced, with Locus being the most high-powered GPS app you could use but also a bit more learning curve. Free ad version, silver subscription, and gold subscription for $25 a year which includes unlimited downloads of their proprietary base map that is their version of the Open Street Maps with additional tweaks. Or you can use social ride sharing apps like Rever, or standard GPS apps like Gaia (doesn't really work that well offline but very popular) or Avenza Maps (you can't download entire States, you have to select from available maps from online sources, basically you could download National Forest Maps or other area maps and load them in avenza. Open Street Maps has a lot of advanced functionality but Locus has double that.

Slight chance we might be going to Wellsville the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving. Possibly Perry State Forest this Sunday but not sure.
Thanks for the info, maybe i'll try and meet you out there.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

ebulic19 wrote: 06:53 pm Nov 15 2023
VTMTcowboy wrote: 10:03 am Nov 14 2023 Awesome build! What did you end up using for a front number plate?
I used a KX125 front plate, i think 92-99 works, but requires some modification to get around the pinch bolts for the triple clamps and the brake line routing. There is a forum on here for that.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Bultacobill

Post by Bultacobill »

Nice job on the rebuild.