Throttle tube type

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
mcbeth.059

Throttle tube type

Post by mcbeth.059 »

I believe I got some dirt and grit in my throttle tube from a very rainy and muddy race in Sunday. On a few instances it would get hung up at different points in throttle position.

My question is what type of throttle tube will work? My neighbour gave me a push pull type from a newer Kawasaki bike (I don't know exact model).
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Throttle tube type

Post by Goofaroo »

Why not just thoroughly clean and grease the one you have? It sounds like maybe it hasn’t been done for a while. If the tube isn’t broken just disassemble the throttle assembly and clean everything including the inside of the tube and the handlebar. Lube the cable and grease the bar and the throttle assembly and reinstall. It should work as new.

Are you sure the problem you’re having isn’t caused by a frayed or corroded cable?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Throttle tube type

Post by bufftester »

The KDX with the PWK carb does not use a push/pull arrangement. It is a pull cable only with the spring inside the carb cap providing the return function. All your control cables should be cleaned and lubricated as part of regular maintenance. As Goof said, easily disassembled and cleaned. Also verify that your cable routing isn't creating a pinch point anywhere.