Hoses 2021 - brakes and rads

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hoses 2021 - brakes and rads

Post by MoonStomper »

2003 KDX 200…
Having recently done a super fresh top end with porting, Rev pipe, Fredette’s torque ring and jetting, Boyesen Radvalve upgrade, fresh clutch plates, Racetech Springs (thanks Doug!!) and and many other mods and improvements, I’m eyeballing the next round of upgrades. Maybe somethings to keep her from blowing up or out through a turn and into the trees?

My radiator hoses are nearing the end of their lifespan, so I’m naturally interested in some blingy blue silicone ones, but… I’ve read research from Gates (who also manufactures silicone hoses) that they are somewhat porous requiring you to really keep an eye on your water level. Also understand they can be more prone to slippage and leaks than rubber. Experience or brands you were happy with or to avoid? There’s some $20 chinese ones on Amazon that are molded for this bike.

While I’m at it I figure it’s about past time to get my brake hoses done too. The rear works fine, but I really hate the feel of the front one. Would consider plain stainless braided or blingy blue. Has anyone either done these recently and could offer experience-based recommendations? Planning to replace both ends at once.

Thanks!
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Hoses 2021 - brakes and rads

Post by Slick_Nick »

Silicone hoses don't "weep" any coolant. I had my bike in storage for 18 months and didn't lose a drop. I think I just have the cheapo GPI ebay chinesium hoses. Yo can find a braided front brake line on ebay too. Many colors to choose from.
'00 KDX 220R
MoonStomper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MoonStomper »

Yeah that’s what I’ve kinda figgered. I wondered if anyone had any favorites too.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Let the good times ROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
‘99 KDX 220 / '03 KDX 200 - @%@ '18 Trek Slash 8 @%@ ‘22 Rieju MR300 Racing

BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA USA
kick

Post by kick »

I use myler’s hoses. Fit is good and you can reuse your stock clamps.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

I've used the GPI ones like Nick is using for a few years now with no complaints