2001 220R Clutch not disengaging?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Qwakk

2001 220R Clutch not disengaging?

Post by Qwakk »

Ok.. Here goes.. Im no wordsmith so... bike starts like a champ in Neutral. first kick. hard clack into first. shifts well trough gears. bike seems to pull a bit when stopped and clutch in as clutch is not fully engaging?. bike will not start in first with clutch in as it is trying to lunge when kicked over.
replaced clutch with EBC kit and springs per cyclepedia and youtube videos as they were original. Cleaned all lines and oiled, levers disassembled and lubed. All working nice now but still having the "feel" that clutch is not fully engaged and letting freespin of the plates and 'stuff'. better but not perfect.
All this meaning.. If I stall on a hill and need to start and go I have a problem..

ANY CLUES? Is this the norm for KDX?

Thanks in advance..
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2001 220R Clutch not disengaging?

Post by SS109 »

Make sure you have the proper free play dialed in at the lever. Also, I'm surprised the EBC springs are working for you. Most have problems with them as they tend to coil bind which also could be causing your issue. I only use OEM springs. That all said, the clutch tends to drag a bit in the KDX but shouldn't to the point the bike tries to move forward when kick starting in gear.

Oh, just being a little bit technical here but when you pull in the clutch you are disengaging it. It is fully engaged when the clutch lever is completely released.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Read last month's debacle thread with EBC kit.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I'm also going to point fingers at the junk EBC kit. At the very least throw your stock springs back in and see what that does.
'00 KDX 220R
Qwakk

Post by Qwakk »

Qwakk is a Newb.. Qwakk does not take technical redirection and /or education as insulting or the like. This is learning.
The EBC kit is all I could find online that was in price range.. Or I thought looked 'quality'. The stock springs are quite a bit shorter than the new ones. Still change? free play is about a nickel.
Is it possible that disengaging the clutch (thanks ss109) is not fully doing so?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yes, with the EBC springs it is very possible it is not fully disengaging. It has been observed in the past that the wire EBC uses to make the springs is either of larger diameter and/or wound with less coil spacing which causes it to bind before fully disengaging the clutch. Why a quality company like EBC has this issue none of us understand but they really dropped the ball when it comes to KDX clutch springs. There literally was just another discussion in the last few weeks with another member having issues with the EBC springs.

Personally, I would throw the stock springs in there just to test if it fully disengages. If it does, order some brand new OEM springs from one of the many online Kawasaki parts suppliers (RMATV has them for $24), install, and go riding!
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Go ahead and buy new OEM springs to go with your new plates.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Qwakk

Post by Qwakk »

Done.. thanks erbody.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Qwakk wrote: 01:57 pm Jul 08 2021 Qwakk is a Newb.. Qwakk does not take technical redirection and /or education as insulting or the like. This is learning.
The EBC kit is all I could find online that was in price range.. Or I thought looked 'quality'. The stock springs are quite a bit shorter than the new ones. Still change? free play is about a nickel.
Is it possible that disengaging the clutch (thanks ss109) is not fully doing so?
Based on this post, and your other regarding airbox removal, might I suggest you avail yourself of a service manual? If you had one you'd be able to measure your (old) stock springs and see if they're still in spec, and can be reused. It also details the airbox removal procedure.
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Slick_Nick wrote: 09:29 am Jul 09 2021 Based on this post, and your other regarding airbox removal, might I suggest you avail yourself of a service manual? If you had one you'd be able to measure your (old) stock springs and see if they're still in spec, and can be reused. It also details the airbox removal procedure.
Hear! Hear! :supz:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Qwakk

Post by Qwakk »

Thanks for the tips..
Guys I indeed have the Cyclepedia version but this is the first bike I have cracked open to DIY. And its fairly older and limited on info. So i search out for those that have explored new worlds, sought out new life and boldly gone where no man has gone before'... The been there done that crew. Thank you for answering the Call.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Any time my friend! There is always someone here willing to try to help. That's the reason I love this forum.
'11 GasGas EC250R