Inner clutch cover gasket leak

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Inner clutch cover gasket leak

Post by B737driver »

So.....I've got a leaking inner clutch cover gasket. Tried to seal it up by tightening slightly over spec, but no bueno. Gonna replace it this week. Is this as simple as it appears...drain oil and water, disconnect kips, unbolt and pull it off? I've replaced the clutch multiple times, but never pulled off the inner cover.

Are there any gotchas? Thanks in advance.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Inner clutch cover gasket leak

Post by John_S »

It's a straight forward service. The worst part is cleaning up the old gasket material. Everything you listed plus remove the pipe and kick starter. You can press the rear brake pedal down (I'm pretty sure) for enough clearance and you don't need to remove the outer clutch cover to do this. I think there are two dowel pins for the cover. Make sure you spot those at removal and replacement. Push your thumb on the kickstart shaft when you pull the cover off and check for the shim at that shaft. Sometimes it stays in place and other times it sticks to the back of the inner cover.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Don’t forget that little nut on the KIPS mechanism is reverse threaded. Be careful, use your service manual.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Oh I'm aware of that one...but thanks for the heads up. Reverse threads are like driving in the wrong lane. Just seems wrong 🙃
Live to Fly
Fly to Live