Is this normal (Fork related question)?

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
danoc33

Is this normal (Fork related question)?

Post by danoc33 »

So i recently acquired a 2000 KDX in great shape. It still has the stock springs in it so I am in the process of putting Race Tech .42 in it. My question is as follows: when I removed the fork top cap from the damper rod to remove the spring, is it normal for the fork to extend all the way to the point where you can see the ports (holes) on the bottom of the inner fork tube?

After removing my fork springs, I noticed my fork tubes were longer which was throwing off my preload measurement. What i ended up doing was clamping the lower legs in a padded vice, put the new spring on with no washers, and threaded the fork cap back on.

I then pulled the damper rod all the way up and took a measurement from the bottom of the fork cap to the top of the spring which should have given me a reading for zero preload. I also factored in the washers and then cut my spacer for around 8mm of preload.

Does this sound right to you all?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Is this normal (Fork related question)?

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome.

Can you take a picture? Posting instructions are in my signature.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
danoc33

Post by danoc33 »

Ended up getting them together without issue. Hoping to try them out this week. What was throwing me off is when you remove the fork cap from these forks and take out the spring, spacer, etc; my fork fully extended making them longer than when they were on the bike.

On other bikes I have owned, I took preload measurements by measuring from the top of the spring to the edge of the fork. Since these KDX forks fully extend when taken apart, you cannot take an accurate preload measurement that way so I ended up using the method described above.

Forks feel plush yet more firm towards the bottom of the stroke, but feel good otherwise. The suspension also compresses more equally so that should make for a much better ride.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Glad you got it going.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bikeman2502001

Post by bikeman2502001 »

The answer to your question is yes that it normal The dampening rod is the only thing that controls the distance the fork can extend