Linkage

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Linkage

Post by tucker »

Hi all - KDX 200 2006

I thought I’d try learn how to grease my linkage and inspect my bearings (first time). I watched a video and dug in.

Few questions;
- how freely should they spin? With the seals removed, should it easily twist around? One moves when u hold the linkage and twist, the other one the collar wouldn’t come out took some effort so assumed that was fucked, and I ditched it. Will get new bearings.
- small shock bearing. Same question as above - how freely ? How do you change this? I think the previous owner had tightened the links so tight that it dug into the metal on the linkage body. see photo - looks like a loose piece of metal? Has someone tried to patch it up

Image Image Image Image

Also, considering I’ll need to replace the bearings, how do I get them out?

Cheers
Tucker
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Linkage

Post by JoKDX220r »

With the seals removed you should be able to move everything really easily, If the rollers are a little "hard" to move you can try to remove them and clean/grease.
If they are "stuck" I found that a round wire brush at low speed with lube or grease can save them..
But most people will tell you if you don't completely remove the old grease and clean everything deeply before applying new grease you're wasting your time.. Most of the time I remove all the rollers, clean everything and put it all back with new marine grease..

For the lower shock bearings it could be dirt/rock damage ?
Kdxfan4130
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Kdxfan4130 »

Restore rather than replace
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Thanks guys. I had detached that video - more curious about how to tell if worn or not. Is spinning like a wheel bearing.

If you see in the Lower shock bearing on the first fix, I smashed the bearing out and the little piece of metal also came out so there’s a hole in the actual linkage rocker.

Can you buy aftermarket rocker arms or do I have to go OEM?
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Look on eBay.
I like turtles
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think OEM is the only option.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Bugger. If I hadn’t tried to learn I wouldn’t have noticed it was damaged 😬😬 all a learning curve cheers. Don’t really wrench much so thought I’d give it a shot.