screeching noise on clutch side

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
Cody wireman

screeching noise on clutch side

Post by Cody wireman »

i rebuilt my water pump... was my first time doing it... so i got it back together, and rode 30mins and it makes a screeching weird noise and gets louder the more you throttle it when riding , pretty much goes away when clutch is pulled. but i never touched the clutches when i did the water pump, any ideas for me

thanks in advance
2002 kdx200 all stock
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: screeching noise on clutch side

Post by kdxsully »

Sounds like there’s only one thing to do. Drain the oil and take the side cover off. Inspect. Maybe the water pump gear is making noise? I dunno.
I like turtles
Cody wireman

Post by Cody wireman »

i was hoping get a idea before taking it apart. trying see what i need be looking for
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

It's obviously something rubbing. Could be the water pump mechanical is not fully seated or slightly cockeyed. or a bearing going out. Only way to know is to open it up.
Cody wireman

Post by Cody wireman »

thats the plan for weekend . i just fig ask for ideas or if anyone has ever had same problem. im new to the kdx,
Molly's 70
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Molly's 70 »

Yup, just a simple redo. It happens.
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
Cody wireman

Post by Cody wireman »

in the picuture . the peace circled . mine moves side to side. is that ok ?
Attachments
75.jpg
75.jpg (37.57 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Moves side to side in which direction? up/down or front/back, or in/out? That is your clutch actuator rod. When you pull the clutch it goes in and disengages the plates. If its up/down/front/back then that bearing is likely going. When you pull the clutch and aren't moving the center basket stops moving so the noise would stop. Clutch out and the whole thing is spinning
Cody wireman

Post by Cody wireman »

Ok it moves side to side. So that maybe be the noise. But only thing I touched was water pump stuff. This weekend going tare it apart again. And look for signs where it might be wearing
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

In that other thread you posted in, one guy said his problem was a worn clutch housing bearing.
Last edited by kdxsully on 04:23 pm Feb 26 2020, edited 1 time in total.
I like turtles
decluk13

Post by decluk13 »

It sounds like you aren’t entirely sure what component in the right side is making the noise. I would recommend using a mechanics stethoscope (long screw driver with handle held against ear works the same) and checking a few different areas to see where the noise is loudest. Prime locations in my opinion would be the water pump housing, clutch actuator arm, kick starter shaft and kips actuator rod. It may sound silly but this method is effective in pinpointing problem areas in joined rotating assemblies and can really reduce diagnosis time. If one of these areas is louder than another you can be relatively certain which assembly your issue is in.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

agree, the screwdriver trick is effective. My inclination, since you just did work, is the area you did the work is most suspect. “Service induced error” is common.
Let me go ahead and try to set your mind at ease. Worst case is you have to split the cases to replace a bad clutch bearing. That really isn’t nearly as hard as you might think although it does require a few specialized tools. And of course if you do have to go this route, change all bearings and seals while you are in there.
Cody wireman

Post by Cody wireman »

Thanks everyone for the info. Hoping I'll know moretgis weekend. I just been working on it alot more than riding it seems like
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

That happens sometimes. When you get it right you’ll do a lot more riding than working I believe.