KX125 Clutch Actuator

This area is for KDX 200 H series part numbers etc...
User avatar
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: 06:57 pm Nov 06 2017
Country: USA
Location: Sammamish, WA

KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by ericr » 06:20 pm Apr 22 2019

I've searched the forums and have found mention that people have replaced their clutch actuator with one from a KX125 for lighter clutch pull. Supposedly, the arm is longer and gives more leverage.

Has anyone actually done this and knows the part number?

I ordered one and it does not fit. The shaft is too short.

I'm finding different part numbers for this item;

Rocky Mountain - 13236-1259, cross references with KLX's of various years.
Partzilla - 13236-1195, cross references with 89-91 KDX200.
ebay - Most listings for 1989 KX125 shows it fitting the KLX's.

I bought one off ebay for a 1989 KX125 that cross referenced to the KLX's and it did not fit. Does anyone know for sure what the correct part number is and cross reference? Thanks!
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread... viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22266

User avatar
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 2481
Joined: 06:03 pm Oct 31 2012
Country: USA
Location: University Place, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by bufftester » 10:36 pm Apr 22 2019

I've not heard of this particular mod, but doubt it will be easy to find a drop in replacement. The clutch pull on a KDX is already pretty light.

User avatar
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: 06:57 pm Nov 06 2017
Country: USA
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by ericr » 12:35 am Apr 23 2019

bufftester wrote:
10:36 pm Apr 22 2019
I've not heard of this particular mod, but doubt it will be easy to find a drop in replacement. The clutch pull on a KDX is already pretty light.
There's been a couple posts on this where people have done it and have claimed clutch pull lighter than bikes with OEM hydraulics. Unfortunately, they didn't leave details.

Even new, a KX125 actuator is about $25 - way less than a Magura hydraulic at $300. If someone has done it, and has a part number, I'll spend $25, or less, to have an effortless one-finger clutch.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread... viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22266

User avatar
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2120
Joined: 12:58 pm May 01 2013
Country: USA
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by 6 Riders » 09:25 pm Apr 24 2019

I put one on. Great mod. I don't remember what year I purchased and I can't see that far back on my purchase history. I know it was pretty much a straight swap.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type

User avatar
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 2481
Joined: 06:03 pm Oct 31 2012
Country: USA
Location: University Place, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by bufftester » 04:11 pm Apr 25 2019

Did a little research, since the H series bike really spawned from the 92-94 KX125 a quick look at the 93 KX125 clutch actuator (13236-1230) may work. THey share the same needle bearing so the shaft diameter is the same, and appear to have the same length, though can't find any info on the length of the arm. Also they don't appear to be readily available at several parts houses, but maybe it gives you a starting point?

User avatar
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: 06:57 pm Nov 06 2017
Country: USA
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by ericr » 04:16 pm Apr 25 2019

6 Riders wrote:
09:25 pm Apr 24 2019
I put one on. Great mod. I don't remember what year I purchased and I can't see that far back on my purchase history. I know it was pretty much a straight swap.
Do you recall if it was at least a 1989 KX125 actuator? That might narrow it down to the other part number.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread... viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22266

User avatar
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: 06:57 pm Nov 06 2017
Country: USA
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by ericr » 04:29 pm Apr 25 2019

bufftester wrote:
04:11 pm Apr 25 2019
Did a little research, since the H series bike really spawned from the 92-94 KX125 a quick look at the 93 KX125 clutch actuator (13236-1230) may work. THey share the same needle bearing so the shaft diameter is the same, and appear to have the same length, though can't find any info on the length of the arm. Also they don't appear to be readily available at several parts houses, but maybe it gives you a starting point?
Good detective work. If we can get someone to verify that they used an actuator from that year range, we have a part number. Thanks.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread... viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22266

User avatar
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 2120
Joined: 12:58 pm May 01 2013
Country: USA
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by 6 Riders » 03:11 pm Apr 29 2019

ericr wrote:
04:16 pm Apr 25 2019

Do you recall if it was at least a 1989 KX125 actuator? That might narrow it down to the other part number.
I think Buffsteter is right. I think the 93 is the year that I used. I got mine on eBay for cheap. That way if it didn't fit, I wasn't out a bunch of money.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type

User avatar
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: 06:57 pm Nov 06 2017
Country: USA
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by ericr » 11:18 pm Apr 29 2019

Ok, I'm going to watch ebay for a 92-94 actuator. We'll see if it works. I just realized that we had 3 members from WA discussing this. I'm going to Walker tomorrow for the first time in 20 years. Back then, it seriously kicked my ass. I have a better bike now so it should be ok, right?
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread... viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22266

User avatar
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 2481
Joined: 06:03 pm Oct 31 2012
Country: USA
Location: University Place, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by bufftester » 08:38 pm Apr 30 2019

ericr wrote:
11:18 pm Apr 29 2019
Ok, I'm going to watch ebay for a 92-94 actuator. We'll see if it works. I just realized that we had 3 members from WA discussing this. I'm going to Walker tomorrow for the first time in 20 years. Back then, it seriously kicked my ass. I have a better bike now so it should be ok, right?
lol...Rode the Kilted Duck poker run last weekend up there, lots of good trails, some technical stuff that can get quite ugly in the wet. First time I had ridden there, the impression I got was that not a lot of trail maintenance gets done and they ride it year round so it does get pretty chewed up. Still was a lot of fun! And burgers afterwards at the Conway Pub and Eatery make the drive worthwhile!

hrchins
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: 10:10 am Mar 05 2017
Country: United States

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by hrchins » 02:59 pm Sep 13 2019

ericr wrote:
11:18 pm Apr 29 2019
Ok, I'm going to watch ebay for a 92-94 actuator. We'll see if it works. I just realized that we had 3 members from WA discussing this. I'm going to Walker tomorrow for the first time in 20 years. Back then, it seriously kicked my ass. I have a better bike now so it should be ok, right?
Any update or review on this? Very interested in trying this

User avatar
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: 06:57 pm Nov 06 2017
Country: USA
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by ericr » 11:18 am Sep 14 2019

hrchins wrote:
02:59 pm Sep 13 2019
ericr wrote:
11:18 pm Apr 29 2019
Ok, I'm going to watch ebay for a 92-94 actuator. We'll see if it works. I just realized that we had 3 members from WA discussing this. I'm going to Walker tomorrow for the first time in 20 years. Back then, it seriously kicked my ass. I have a better bike now so it should be ok, right?
Any update or review on this? Very interested in trying this
I haven't done it yet but have been watching ebay for one to show up.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread... viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22266

User avatar
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II
Posts: 139
Joined: 09:40 pm Jan 29 2013
Country:
Location: Palmyra, PA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by K50X200 » 12:36 pm Sep 16 2019

ericr wrote:
11:18 am Sep 14 2019
hrchins wrote:
02:59 pm Sep 13 2019
ericr wrote:
11:18 pm Apr 29 2019
Ok, I'm going to watch ebay for a 92-94 actuator. We'll see if it works. I just realized that we had 3 members from WA discussing this. I'm going to Walker tomorrow for the first time in 20 years. Back then, it seriously kicked my ass. I have a better bike now so it should be ok, right?
Any update or review on this? Very interested in trying this
I haven't done it yet but have been watching ebay for one to show up.
As an alternative, you can also add an extra 1/4" to 1/2" to your current KDX200 actuator arm to reduce lever effort...
This method is also mentioned here on the forum somewhere (I think 1/2" was mentioned as a maximum) - I've been meaning to try it but haven't got to it yet.
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, RB Carb

hrchins
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: 10:10 am Mar 05 2017
Country: United States

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by hrchins » 04:17 pm Sep 18 2019

K50X200 wrote:
12:36 pm Sep 16 2019
ericr wrote:
11:18 am Sep 14 2019
hrchins wrote:
02:59 pm Sep 13 2019


Any update or review on this? Very interested in trying this
I haven't done it yet but have been watching ebay for one to show up.
As an alternative, you can also add an extra 1/4" to 1/2" to your current KDX200 actuator arm to reduce lever effort...
This method is also mentioned here on the forum somewhere (I think 1/2" was mentioned as a maximum) - I've been meaning to try it but haven't got to it yet.
Yeah I seen that but dont have access to a welder so... :/
... wonder if JB Weld or something similar would be strong enough?

kdxsully
Member
Posts: 403
Joined: 08:28 am Apr 21 2019
Country: United States
Location: North Cackalack

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by kdxsully » 05:00 pm Sep 18 2019

Doubt it.
I like turtles

Kdxfan4130
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: 09:24 pm May 30 2019
Country: Usa

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by Kdxfan4130 » 07:57 pm Sep 18 2019

Yamaha 450 owners use this easy mod to decrease lever pull effort, I’ve seen it done and it does work
Attachments
614D5074-5A2C-4119-A1DA-44C01389B36D.jpeg
614D5074-5A2C-4119-A1DA-44C01389B36D.jpeg (243.46 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Restore rather than replace

User avatar
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member
Posts: 949
Joined: 10:06 pm Oct 22 2009
Country: Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by Slick_Nick » 02:31 pm Sep 22 2019

Am I the only one who thinks if the clutch is too hard to pull you just need to hit it with your purse?
'00 KDX 220R

User avatar
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net
Posts: 3851
Joined: 05:11 am Aug 23 2009
Country: US
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by SS109 » 12:32 am Sep 23 2019

Slick_Nick wrote:
02:31 pm Sep 22 2019
Am I the only one who thinks if the clutch is too hard to pull you just need to hit it with your purse?
Yeah, if it's hard to pull something is wrong with it or the operator!
AZ State Parks OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
'11 GasGas EC250 Race
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue

User avatar
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 188
Joined: 06:57 pm Nov 06 2017
Country: USA
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by ericr » 12:03 pm Sep 23 2019

SS109 wrote:
12:32 am Sep 23 2019
Slick_Nick wrote:
02:31 pm Sep 22 2019
Am I the only one who thinks if the clutch is too hard to pull you just need to hit it with your purse?
Yeah, if it's hard to pull something is wrong with it or the operator!
Yes, there is something wrong with the operator. It's called aging, and it sucks. For me, it's given me arthritis in my hands which forces me to use two fingers on my clutch. Despite that, many of us old-guys are still out there hitting the trails. If I can add a cheap mod that will help me keep at it into the future, I'll do it. It's either that, or I should start shopping for a new wardrobe accessory, eh? :yawinkle:
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread... viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22266

User avatar
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net
Posts: 3851
Joined: 05:11 am Aug 23 2009
Country: US
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Contact:

Re: KX125 Clutch Actuator

Post by SS109 » 12:28 pm Sep 23 2019

Maybe I'm still too young at 49 to notice how stiff it is! The only issue I have with the clutch pull is not being able to adjust the reach of it for my short sausages!
AZ State Parks OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
'11 GasGas EC250 Race
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue

Post Reply