IMS Pro Series Pegs Fit Problems

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

IMS Pro Series Pegs Fit Problems

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I just tried fitting up the IMS Pro Series pegs to my 04 KDX and couldn't get the spring to align properly with the angle of the pin and thus allow the peg to fit correctly? It didn't even seem close. I had read numerous reviews and found that most said it was an easy install. I know that other members have IMS pegs on their KDXs, how do you get them to fit? I don't mind the stock pegs, but with a size 12 boot a little extra platform would be great! Thank you.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: IMS Pro Series Pegs Fit Problems

Post by SS109 »

Hmm, odd. When I purchased my '98 it already had the Pro Series on there. I know on some pegs you have to move the springs to the opposite side. Give that a shot. If it doesn't work, post up some pics and I'll compare it to mine.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I am going to give it another shot next weekend when I get back from travel. I'll take some photos to better show what I was trying to describe. Have heard mixed results so was hoping someone else was having the same issue to make trouble shooting easier. They look like great pegs, so hopefully I can get them fitted properly.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, they are great pegs. They are my favorite out of all pegs on the market.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

I had to do a little grinding on one of my new IMS pegs to get it to fit correctly. Another trick to help with the alignment of the pin/spring assembly is to use a thin screwdriver and insert it all the way through the footpeg/spring assembly. Then, apply side pressure/leverage to the screwdriver while introducing the pin to footpeg assembly -- **may require a tap with a mallet/hammer to the pin for the final drive through the assembly. I've had to use this technique on newer footpeg installs on my vintage bikes and my KDX.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Skoalman wrote: 02:27 pm Jan 12 2019 I had to do a little grinding on one of my new IMS pegs to get it to fit correctly. Another trick to help with the alignment of the pin/spring assembly is to use a thin screwdriver and insert it all the way through the footpeg/spring assembly. Then, apply side pressure/leverage to the screwdriver while introducing the pin to footpeg assembly -- **may require a tap with a mallet/hammer to the pin for the final drive through the assembly. I've had to use this technique on newer footpeg installs on my vintage bikes and my KDX.

+1
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Skoalman wrote: 02:27 pm Jan 12 2019 I had to do a little grinding on one of my new IMS pegs to get it to fit correctly. Another trick to help with the alignment of the pin/spring assembly is to use a thin screwdriver and insert it all the way through the footpeg/spring assembly. Then, apply side pressure/leverage to the screwdriver while introducing the pin to footpeg assembly -- **may require a tap with a mallet/hammer to the pin for the final drive through the assembly. I've had to use this technique on newer footpeg installs on my vintage bikes and my KDX.
Thanks Skoalman. I should be able to give it another run next weekend so I'll try to use this technique.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Malibu406
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Malibu406 »

They must have sent me the wrong pegs. Mine said fits kdx and kx 500. But, pin was larger and I had to drill out the hole to next size. I couldnt get the pegs on with the spring under the peg. The IMS did not have a hole in the peg for the spring. Once I drlled the hole and put the spring dog in it the went on fine. The right peg was fine. The left was high and I had to do a little grinding. I was dissapointed at having to do all that.

If others put them on with no problems, mine must have been wrong. I mean the pin size was bigger and you cant use the smaller stock pin. Well, i guess i could have, then they would have gone right on!
Vossman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Vossman »

Well that kind of sucks but at least you got it on.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Between the rain and travel for work I still haven't had the opportunity to re-try the fitment of these pegs. I do not have a garage and am not allowed to do "mechanic work" under our apartment's carport so I am at the mercy of the weather. I spoke with someone at IMS and both the #s on the pegs and packaging lined up to the KDX spec, so we'll see.

The KLX fork swap will happen soon to. I decided I am going to try and do it myself, except for having new bearings pressed onto the triples. Should be a fun project and will document it along the way/post here to help anyone who is interested in doing the same.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
tcrdude
Supporting Member

Post by tcrdude »

Had the exact same problem. Called Rock Mountain and then emailed multiple pics of the mounting issues. I ended up sending the pegs back for a refund.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

IIRC, the pro series pegs don't fit the E series bikes. I think you need the standard IMS pegs.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I tried again a few weeks ago, no luck. I've had them for far too long to be sent back. They look like they'll fit, but definitely need to be grinded down and manipulated. Don't really have the tools to do it, so they are just sitting in my closet until a later date. Too bad, cause I really could use a wider platform.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you post a pic(s)?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I'll see if I can get to it after work one of these days otherwise I'll do it over my weekend (Wednesday). I'd like it to work out, but may need to bring it to a shop that has a grinder wheel or something similar. The problem will certainly make sense with photo.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I had the same issue with the IMS super stock pegs on my 2000. Just have to hammer the part of the spring that goes into the peg straight.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Work has been crazy right now so I haven't gotten the opportunity to try to fit them up again. I bought another pair of OEM springs so I can try to manipulate my current ones to fit and still have a back up set.

I also finally bought all the parts necessary to do the KLX front end swap, just need to get the new triple tree bearings pressed on and then do the fork seals. I've had the forks for about a year, so it is about time! It'll all be new to me, so it'll take some time, but looking forward to learning the whole process. And it'll save me labor costs in the future!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Thekid1995

Post by Thekid1995 »

I had similar problem with some ims knockoff pegs I got them to work by straightening the spring end that went into the peg so it went into the hole. the original had a bend that sat on top of the peg mine work great the paint was a little thick so I sanded it and it works great so much wider and comfortable.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Thekid1995 wrote: 07:53 pm Nov 18 2019 I had similar problem with some ims knockoff pegs I got them to work by straightening the spring end that went into the peg so it went into the hole. the original had a bend that sat on top of the peg mine work great the paint was a little thick so I sanded it and it works great so much wider and comfortable.
Thanks for the info! I've been riding with the stock pegs, but would like to give it a go again. Would you be able to take a photo of your setup? Thank you.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Malibu406
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Malibu406 »

Actually I dont like the ims pro pegs as much as stock having done the change. The shifter arm is already short and the wdie pegs make it harder to pivot and roll on the footpegs. If I hadnt had to drill out the pin bore to install them, I would put the stock pegs back on.