96' Clutch not disengaging.

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
DoitDalton

96' Clutch not disengaging.

Post by DoitDalton »

Hey folks, over the weekend I rebuilt the top end on my 96' kdx200 and replaced the clutch as it was smoked from my previous trip to Moab With an EBC dirtracer pack, the same one I had in it.

Bike runs like a top but the clutch will not disengage, for example I'll put it into gear and pull the clutch in but it will not move.

I did a running start to get the bike moving and popped it into first gear and there was no problem it ran completely fine thru all gears.

I pulled the clutch out and inspected each steel and friction plates for wear or foreign objects (I pre oiled them) also used a factory diagram for reassembly making sure it was put together correctly.

I tightened the springs to 4mm of travel and inspected the cable as well the rod in the cover.

The clutch feels smooth and is easy to compress but will not disengage for **** even when riding it does not slow the bike down at all.

Any thoughts on what this gremlin might be?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 96' Clutch not disengaging.

Post by John_S »

If you changed the springs out, I would check the length of the new vs old springs. Maybe they're slightly out of spec.
DoitDalton

Post by DoitDalton »

John_S wrote: 04:35 pm Nov 15 2018 If you changed the springs out, I would check the length of the new vs old springs. Maybe they're slightly out of spec.
I checked them prior to the rebuild and they were the same size as the old ones.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is 4 mm the proper gap? Any chance the springs are too tight??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
DoitDalton

Post by DoitDalton »

KDXGarage wrote: 05:56 pm Nov 15 2018 Is 4 mm the proper gap? Any chance the springs are too tight??
I heard it was spec, whatever that is worth, my last clutch pack was tighter than my current tension and it worked fine.
i'm really stumped on this one, its like the clutch pack is stuck together, i checked the slides on the basket for wear but were smooth.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hmm.

I have heard someone mention before that EBC spring length was different than stock. I think someone already mentioned that.

All the washers are in the correct places??
DoitDalton

Post by DoitDalton »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:26 pm Nov 15 2018 Hmm.

I have heard someone mention before that EBC spring length was different than stock. I think someone already mentioned that.

All the washers are in the correct places??

Both thrust washers are in and in the correct places, one before the basket and after, in between the pressure plate.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

See if anything in this thread helps you out:

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=22776