Rear Wheel Spokes

Discussion specific to the 1995 - 2006 KDX200 (H Series) and 1995 - 2005 KDX220R (A Series) models sold in the USA
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Rear Wheel Spokes

Post by ScruffyDroid »

2003 220R.

In the UK. Just been thru annual MOT and noticed that I have 5 loose rear spokes. They are pretty seized up, and if I try tighten/loosen them, they'll likely snap.

I'd like to replace them all, but just the 5 will do, at a push.

Trouble is that I have no idea on what spokes / nipples any sizes? Standard 18" rear wheel.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Sent from my CPN-W09 using Tapatalk
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Rear Wheel Spokes

Post by KDXGarage »

Why do you think they will break?

Have you tried penetrating oil? Use a proper spoke wrench and clamp the spoke tightly near the spoke nipple. Attempt to loosen, maybe even tighten a touch just to get them to break free.

If that does not work, take off the wheel, remove the tire, tube, etc. and reclamp and attempt to heat / oil while loosening from the nipple end. If you can get the nipple off after the wheel is broken down, then wire brush the spoke nipple threaded portions.

If all that fails, then you can buy OEM spokes and nipples from Kawasaki, one at a time. Depending on location, you might need to remove a whole set (inner / outer / left / right) to get the bad ones out.

Since you are in that deep, check them all for seizing.

If you prefer to spend money over time, then buy an Excel or Bulldog set of spokes and nipples. Pro Wheels or some other Chinese spokes might fit a KDX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ScruffyDroid
Supporting Member

Rear Wheel Spokes

Post by ScruffyDroid »

Jason

Thanks for your answer. I have tried the penetrating fluid...they nipples are corroded onto the spokes, after 15 years!

I have removed the tyres and have done the "spoke wrench" clamping. I want to cut the offending spokes out, and replace them, but I can't seem to find the accurate lengths / nipples. I will land up replacing them with generic spokes. The spoke sets that I have seen are around $90 plus shipping, VAT and Duty to the UK, which is, frankly outrageous!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You are right, VAT and Duty are outrageous. :grin:

Check every single one for seizing. If there are not many, just order some from Kawasaki. If you don't have a local dealer close by, I had a good order with Cornwall Kawasaki a couple of years ago. You might want to check on them.

http://parts-a.kawasaki.eu/kepcc/kepcc? ... AVIGATION=
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
freeindeed

Post by freeindeed »

I recently replaced spokes on the front & back wheel on my 2001 KDX220.

1st remove the tire, tube, etc. so you just have the rim.

For 4+ days or so, day and night, spray outside the nipple and inside the nipple where it connects to the spoke with liquid wrench penetrating oil.

For any spokes that will still not loosen use a small vise grips to hold the spoke and loosen the nipple with a 6mm wrench.

Order Kawasaki OE spokes and nipples to replace the bad ones. In the US, I got mine at rockymountainatv.com
If you use aftermarket spokes (excel,etc) you will have to drill larger holes in the rim to fit.

All the spokes on the rear wheel are the same, so you do not have to worry about left & right.

You can replace the inside spoke without removing the outside one.

To replace the outside spoke you have to remove the inside one also.

Replace the spokes one at a time (or one pair at a time) to help keep the wheel reasonably true.
Use the "tuning" method when tightening them back down.

Use anti seize or grease on the new spokes & nipples (and old ones also).

Then true the wheel (or have it trued) if needed.