Places near pittsburgh pa

Reviews of riding areas...
Malibu406
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Malibu406 »

I live east of pittsburgh about 30 miles. My years of trespassing are over. Unfortunately that means hauling the bike for hours up north to ride legal. Any places you know of local, Greensburg, Blairsville or Johnstown?

Ive riden mountain ridge in the Laurel Mountain area. I was surprised how rocky it was on the single track. The KTM 360 didnt like it. Had I known would've taken the kdx 220. But everything else is pretty open from quads and boring.

Anyone ride mines and meadows?
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Places near pittsburgh pa

Post by targetman »

I went to Mines and Meadows last month for the first time. Got lost. I will get a gps next time. Lots of trails. I think they claim 8 miles of single track. Hit me up if you want some riding company if you go. I live within half an hour.
Malibu406
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Malibu406 »

Great, I thought they claimed more single track than that. Sure I would like to link up. Its been hard to get people to ride with. Was thinking about doing it solo anyway, which I dont like to do for safety reasons.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

Allegheny National Forest Trails? It's only about $10 for a day pass or $30 for an annual pass. Last weekend of September the trails close until next spring.
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

I have not been to the trails in the Allegheny yet.
Malibu406
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Malibu406 »

I used to ride there allot in the 80's when it was all motorcycle trail and they had the nasty mud section. Then the quads took over and now the bike trail is pretty short. Boulder hill is still there, but it used to be much better. A rainy day would take hours and at least one bike would get drowned in the mud section. Thats all gone because of complaints about mud draining into the creek. Also used to do Rock Run North of marianville. Thanks
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I'm about 30 mins south of the Pittsburgh myself, in the Washington area. Blairsville and Johnstown I know for sure have tons of trails. Never been to Blairsville (buddies who went to Wyotech rode out there every weekend), there are tons of entrances in the mountain trails out by Johnstown.

Mines and Meadows is fun, we kept getting lost there too and never found the single track :sad: heard its a pretty sweet loop though when you do find it!

What is the Allegheny national forest like these days? I went back when I was like 14 or 15 and they had one super simple loop, and a bike only trail that said it was difficult (I didn't ride it, was with older guys that wanted to take it easy). Are there more than 2 loops now?

I have a pretty good bit of trails I ride right from my house. You're welcome to come out and ride with my and buddies sometime if you want (I think we're going Sunday morning, shoot me a PM if interested) have 3 nice single track loops, trails all over, power lines, gas lines, hill climbs, you name it. We usually ride around there.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Malibu406
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Malibu406 »

Allegheny Marionville was a 28 mile single track only in the 80's. Then the dang quads came. After a while I think they took 17 miles and made it quad and bikes, thats the easy loop you did. There is still 11 or 12 miles of single track bike only, but quads are sneaking in there to.

I live 20 min from Blairsville but I dont know anyone from there nor location of any trail heads. But there is nothing out there but woods, so there has to be trails. Maybe labor weekend i could get out. Check this out been there once https://www.mountainridgeatvtrails.com/.