Riding out west just became easier!!!

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Great news!!!!
The 2002 KX250 is in my garage and just wait until you hear what a deal I got. I wrote it all to Carvr earlier so, rather than retype it, here is a cut-n-paste of the info from that e-mail.

On the KX250. I am estatic!!!! WOWWWW!!!!!! This bike KICKS ASS!!!! The guy's friend did crash it, and it has tons of new stuff on it from the insureance claim. Even both radiators are BRAND NEW!!!! Not a single bent fin in there anywhere. I inspected the head where it bolts to the frame and there's no dirt, no sign of dirt and the machine marks sure look like the head is brand new as well. Looking at the barrel; it's condition compaired to the case it's bolted to, I'd say it's a new barrel as well. It's obvious the head and barrel, by little things like condition of nuts, crevises and such, compaired to the case and carb are new. It even has an Iridium plug in it. Looking at the plug, I found the only dirt on the top end; spooge all around the plug. I pulled the cap to yank the plug out, expecting to find a stripped spark plug hole and it was finger tight. Well, not even that. I put a wrench to it and could tell the plug was brand new and never had been seated by having the washer crushed. I suspect some shop replaced everything and forgot to tighten the plug. Even with the plug loose, the bike started the second kick when I went to pick it up. After I got home, several hours later, I thought I would test the cold compression (before I realized the plug was loose) by kicking slowly through a couple of times. Second half assed kick and the bike fired up!!! The gas had been left on and choke still on from when it was started at the time I picked it up. I took it straight to the DMV and got the title over to my name and a GREEN STICKER!!!! Too cool!! Then I went to the Kawasaki dealer. He looked at the frame crack (It's where the collar that holds the upper race is welded to the stem) and said he had a guy who does all his welding; to take the front end apart, wire wheel it clean, take it to his shop and he'd get it welded for about $20 when the guy came by next time. The welding guy goes to the shop once a week and does all the welding items that came in that week. The welder also builds custom motocycle chopper style frames, so I'm guessing he knows what he's doing. Sweet!!!
More inspection reveals that the ProCircuit pipe has one very small dent that can be covered with a nickle and another that can be covered with a quarter. The muffler is a PC unit too, but not a Spark Arrester. At the tail pipe. It was obvious that it had not been cleaned in several rides, due to the layer dusty dirt form desert riding. But, no spooge splattered. I took a shop rag and cleaned the bung hole. It had a crustly layer in there that was just barely wet. I doubt it had ever been cleaned in there. The lack of drool out the back, zero spooge at the pipe/barrel junction or at the pipe / muffler junction is a good sign. When warmed up, the exhaust note is so bright and crisp, it is quite obvious that it's jetted pretty dang good.
The carb is strange: Unlike any other carb I'm used to, where the top unscrews to access the slide and needle, this bike has a bolted on plate and electronics. 2 wires run out of it like it's got electronic control of the carb somehow. I've never heard of this. Do you know anything about this?
What the bike needs: seat cover and graphics; already on their way via eBay. Chain and sprockets. Both look stock and the chain is toast. When lifting the rear wheel while the bike is on the stand, I have some slop. I suspect the lower shock bearing but didn't look too close. Side to side movement of the rear wheel doesn't exist. So the swing arm bearings are probably good.

Word of advise: Always buy a used bike from someone who lives in the desert. The bare frame spots that get rubbed of paint are bright and shiney aluminum or steel. No sign of oxidation.

Seat of the pants test. After warming it up, I headed up my driveway.... and stalled it. I'm so lazy with my autoclutch, I didn't give it enough gas. The stock gearing in first and second is a bit tall for the trail work I want to do, but I'm going to have Gary do the auto clutch thing to this very early in the hop-up schedule. Otherwise, I would spring for a fly wheel weight and, after checking around, swap 1st and 2nd with gears from a early 90's KX250. Several guys say this is the hot ticket and gives the KX250 a wide ratio gear box. Evedently the earlier bikes had lower first and second gears that work perfect in the 1999 /2002 tranny. If I just changed the CS sprocket, the top end speed would suffer bad. As it is, I suspect my KDX even with a 1 tooth smaller CS sprocket has a higher top speed. I didn't open the 250 wide to find out, just what it seemed traveling the same street I do many times with the KDX. So, getting the bike started again, I take up the driveway and poke up and down the street; getting a feeling for the bike's throttle response. Then I tested the "front wheel lift" response. 1st, 1/2 throttle; no more, and the front scratched the sky. Second, I let her roll a little higher in rpms before wicking the throttle. 3/4 throttle and 2nd was lofting the front end too. Find 3rd and quick with the throttle and the front never touched the ground. using throttle only, it was easy to hold a power wheelie by slowy rolling on more throttle. Chop the throttle and find 4th, wick that bad boy and 4 wheelies but it would take some body engish to get it high up. Didn't want to try 5th. Motor sounds very tight; exhaust note sharp and crisp, 4 stroking where it should, snap where it should be too. I can tell, this bike wants a rider to let it run free. I'm quite sure that it will be a handful in the tight woods as-is. Forks don't seem to have the stiction I've seen with my KX/KDX front forks. They easily respond to my weight applied to the bars when standing next to the bike without the brake applied. Rear shock seal is blown, but since it is dirty, I can't tell how bad. Just that there's a layer of oil enough to catch the dust in. Back on street, at a quicker speed, maybe 40-45 mph, the front shakes. Not left right, more like forward/ backward. My KDX does this too, but it seems the KX is more. Might just be me looking for something and it's the same as the KDX. Testing side-by-side will tell for sure later. Sitting on the bike, the saddle height is very close to the tall seat foam fitted KDX I have. My wife observed that the KX looks much bigger but when I rolled it next to the KDX she then said I guess not really, it just looks more agressive. And that's true; the KDX looks much tamer, even with the MX fenders and such. I think it's the tank /seat along with the pipe diameter and muffler differences.

Well, there ya go guys! This is going to be one awesome woods machine when I'm done. Not a machine for everyday riding, but for those days when you just want to rape the trails and go crazy. Compared to the KX500 my friend, Doug, rides, this bike is not nearly so scary fast. It tops out speed wise pretty early and there is a solid pull from down low, (not KDX220 low) to mid rpms, at which point the KIPS kicks it in the ass and makes the bike almost feel like the secondaries on a 4 barrel holly dual pumper just kicked in. Not light switch-like, but a good push; just shy of a shove that would require some effort to get things back under control. I call it about right!!!

Parts list for the bike:
Graphics and seat cover set
Turbine Core S/A muffler
front disk guard
carbon fiber head brace
Stainless steel front brake line routed CR style
Kick stand
Scotts dampner
Grips
Frame guards
Gasket Kit
Carbon Fiber rear brake guard
Carbon fiber fork guards
Carbon fiber case guard
1/2 vent front # plate
skid plate
service manual
Air filter
Throttle cable
Radiator brace
Flywheel weight
Bark Busters
VForce III reed valve
Auto clutch
Hand operated rear brake
Rear rim 2.15 x 18

Total for all these parts is $1800. The bike with shipping and DMV fees was $1100. Total was $2900. Now if that was just a stock 2002 in good shape that would be one thing, but with all the aftermarket stuff, it's the ultimate. By holding off on the auto clutch, the hand rear brake and swapping the dampner between the bikes, the total drops to $1900. That's TOTAL!!!! There was a 2000 KX250 used at the dealer on consignment with a sticker of $3450 on it. It was clean, but totally stock. How fast I do all these things, who knows? I still need to inspect bearings, top end, rebuild the shock, (or have my buddy Jason do it, old buddy, old pal) rebuild the shim stack, etc. but don't expect much trouble there. This bike will be a KDX on steroids; not the everyday rider but for those times when I'm feeling froggy and wanna kick it up some. As a loaner bike, it will be hard to determine which bike gets loaned on a particular day. Rider skill will be needing to be considered too.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Sounds pretty sweet Ski. Is it going to make an appearance on the Labor Day ride? Hint Hint! :roll:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If someone would turn down the heat so I could work out in the garage, it might make the trip.

More observations:
Front and rear brake pads look like they have full thickness and the disks look like there is zero wear. I swear, I just put new disks on my KDX and they are more worn than these KX brake components.

Radiator has 3 more rows per side than the KDX; a total of 6 extra rows. No way this baby is going to over heat. Now, why wouldn't Kawasaki just stick those onto a KDX220 and end the boilover problem?

Carb has an electronic sensor on the top of the carb and what looks like a selinoid on the back side of the carb, about bowl level high. I can't wait to see what the manual says this is.

The KIPS rod from the tranny box is much cleaner than the KDX. Very short and right off the water pump.

The clutch pull is extremely light. One finger operation is no problem for even the wimpyest finger user.

The bike comes with protaper bars and TAG triple clamps.

That PC pipe is huge!!!! (and the muffler is tiny)

Stock pegs are 3 rows wide. This will save me from buying aftermarket ones. Again, why doesn't Kawasaki stick those on the KDX? It is the exact same fit.

Brake lever is beefier than the KDX. Same question Kawasaki.

Front tire is almost brand new. It's a Bridgestone M756F and the rear is M602 Are these good? The front is almost brand new and the rear is worn.

Rims are: 20 inch front instead of 21 inch. What's the reason for an inch smaller?
Rear rim is a 19 inch. Again, why the diff? It sure makes the tires cost more.

Air filter is a brand new UNI, so cross that off my list.

Upper shock bearing is shot. I can see the slop when viewing it an lifting straight up on the rear wheel.

Air box is not a single, water proof piece like the KDX. This one encorporates the fender and side panels into it's design. Certain to cause deep water crossing problems. It is designed to drain well. :lol:

Coolant looks brand new, but since the radiators look brand new too, that was expected.

Boot wear on the clutch cover is very minimal compared to what I have seen on other KX250's. I suspect this bike wasn't ridden often with evidence like this and the brake pad / rotor wear (lack thereof)

Front brake lever is a fancy unbreakable type that can hinge forward and.........it's broken. Enough of the lever is there, just the ball end is snapped off. Still bling cool looking though. A piece of heat shrink over the end will customize it and no one would be able to tell.

Front wheel bearings feel fine. I'm still going to tear down to grease up with water proof grease though.

The handles to lift the rear of the bike, molded into the side plates are excellent. Lifting the rear feels much easier and lighter than a KDX.

Did I mention that pipe is one huge cannon of a pipe yet?

Radiators are already braced. Take that off my list too.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

SuhWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!! :supz: You should have a blast on that bike!

Yes, there are indeed some elctronics on the carb.

The 19" rear wheel is to have less sidewall flex. Wake up ski, MX bikes have had 19" rear wheels for 15 years now. :grin: http://www.buykawasaki.com , http://www.buykawasaki.com , http://www.buykawasaki.com As suspected the 20" front wheel is a converted wheel. It seems that was cool for a couple of years. 21" was stock.

A 756 sounds like a Dunlop, but the 602 sounds like a Bridgestone. 756 is a intermediate-soft tire. wsjkawasaki really likes them. I think 602 is hard-intermediate or hard, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Why not all the improvements to the KDX? Unfortunately, price tag. Plain and simple.

It sounds like you got an awesome deal!! Congratulations on your new bike! Have fun and lean forward when you get on the gas!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Awesome Ski, I'm excited for ya. :supz: :prayer: :partyman:

The wires in the carb are the same as my old 426. I beleive that is for the TPS otherwise known as throttle positioning sensor. I think it works in co with the CDI, I could be wrong as always.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Some info about the 'wires'.

Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC) uses a sensor to alter ignition timing according to throttle position and engine speed for better throttle response and more power
Power Jet system uses an electronic solenoid to close a fuel passageway according to rpm and throttle position for crisp jetting and increased top-end power at over-rev.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Congrats again! Nice info on the older gears!

Still jealous....
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The iridium plug is stock for the bike according to buykawasaki.com!!!!

Interesting
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ya know... I don't think I have seen any pics yet.... have you guys??? :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

LOL :lol: It is parked by Wonder Woman's jet. :grin:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I think your right Jason, it sounds way to good to be true..... :razz: We need photo evidence Jerry. :lol:

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Go to ebay, do a search on buyer; skipro3 and see what I bought. Also see what I'm getting to bling it up!!!

Jelousy is so unattractive. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!
Jerry

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

UHHHH, no one wanted to see pictures of you, as I recall. :lol: :supz:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:lol: Jus razzin ya !! :partyman:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That'd be in that guys possesion...not yours!

Go to triumph.uk and look at the new Bonneville... that's my new bike!

See what I mean? :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Carver says if I spend much more time talking about the KX, I'll get banned from here! :lol:
Jerry

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'm going to record the transformation of this bike in my blog for anyone interested.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

First time I seen this...today. I seen it. I seen it!!

Lessee...Labor Day up here? You bet! Johns Peak will probably be closed (fire season). Prospect should be open..was last year through fire season.

C'mon folks! A couple hundred $$ to get you to free riding on a free bike for days?

...ski should have a list as long as his arm of folks wanting to take him up on that deal!!

Ski: Let me know what's up as things develop? Riding down your way with an air traveler would be a treat I'm sure. You're welcome up here, too!

Man!! For a couple hundred$$ you should have some guys names on your list a few times!!!

C'mon up!!!

Heck...as long as Ski is providing travel agency info...what's the $$ of a flight from MFR to SAC? Cheaper'n driving, I'll bet!

'Kin I come, too? :wink:

Cripes...just looked up some fare info..IT'S $400 for a round trip ticket!! And it's ONLY 300 MILES...or so.

What a crock of steaming excrement!!

Not to be mean, nasty or otherwise irritating...but youse midwest guys that don't take Ski up on his offer are simply foolish.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Seems those boys back on the other side of the river are having their own little ride labor day, sponsored by Inda. While they all would prefer our company, they are too frightened to offend him.

I don't know the KX will be finished by then, maybe enough to play on it. Lot's of parts to get installed, polishing to do.

But, as stated, anyone will be welcome out west, knowing there are two rides in my garage to play on. Heck, I don't even need to be home. PM me when you will be here, and I'll tell you how to bypass the booby traps! :shock: :shock:
As my two grown sons can tell you, don't come home for a visit and suprise mom and dad. Dad will shoot first and mom hates it 'cause then she craps the bed from the sound of a 12 guage going off. Heck I just rack the action on that shotgun now and her bladder cuts loose. (Ask her to see how the holes in the walls are covered when you come. She's quite proud of how she's decorated around them.)
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

:shock: :shock:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project