Vincent Hengstberger Memorial Ride 2012 (yes. already!!)

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
Rjcapt wrote:Thanks!

I hope I don't embarrass myself or anyone else too bad. This will only be my second season back on the dirt after riding only street bikes for the last 25 years. I'm learning but still really slow....

I'm hoping to get to a Shane Watts clinic this year, maybe before the ride. Might help, couldn't hurt....
Embarrassment?? When you meet up with the gang, ask them about me. I was a nail in ALL THEIR TIRES!!! But ya know what??? They put up with me.
You will be riding w. an amazing group; wish i were there.
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

I took sped66 advice and our bunch from WIS will be staying at Ashland resort. We have a RV spot and a cottage that has room (beds) for others if needed.

June 7 8 9 and the night of the 10th. Plan a day and overnight with us if you like, at maybe 3 different riding areas. :supz:

2001kdx..... There WAS.
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Rjcapt wrote:Thanks!

I hope I don't embarrass myself or anyone else too bad. This will only be my second season back on the dirt after riding only street bikes for the last 25 years. I'm learning but still really slow....

I'm hoping to get to a Shane Watts clinic this year, maybe before the ride. Might help, couldn't hurt....
No need to worry about being embarrassed!!

I can't speak to the Shane Watts clinic but I can for Jason Raines University, a similar school. My son and I went through that last August, I did the first 2 days, my son all three. The most valuable thing about this training (Raines or Shane Watts) is you'll get a pretty good idea where you're really at and what you'll need to do to get to where you want to go. Essentially it comes down to the right way to practice getting better. Throttle/clutch control, brakes, body positioning for a variety of terrain/situations. I don't know if Shane Watts spends any time on the fitness/diet aspect but Jason certainly did . . . something to consider.

BTW, I'm sure Shane Watts puts on a great clinic, too!

rainesracing.com
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I don't recall Wattsy covering fitness/diet. It was all technique. His basic Dirtwise school pushes you outside your comfort zone, and teaches you what you should be practicing. I have ridden for 30 years and still have a lot to learn. The class will wear you out. It takes some determination to stick with it for the second day. We rode 20 miles the first day and it felt like 60.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Good News....After being out of work for two months I have a nice new job working for the Dept of Defense.

Bad News....Not looking good for taking off work so soon to go on ride. Still may be able to, but can't commit now. Next year for sure!!!!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

Congrats, Fuzzy! And maybe next year, we will be in a better position for the ride. Hate to say it, but with my hips getting as bad as they are, I doubt it. :(
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
it175 wrote:I took sped66 advice and our bunch from WIS will be staying at Ashland resort.
After much thought, I & a few friends will see you there it175. Cabin #24 for June 8th, 9th, and leave on the 10th.
I hope we get to see some of the Rockhouse group, but fully understand if it doesn't work out. My friends & I enjoy Ashland Resort & the trails there so much that we opted to pass on Rockhouse this year. Hopefully y'all will post some video or photos?
C'ya there it175! Will you be on a KDX?
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Sped66... We are staying in AD4 and RV site 83. Can't wait till June!

Hopefully, I won't ride over MY head. :oops: :oops: Like the first day last year at Rockhouse. Damn 4 wheeler ruts!! Had a good time anyway, meeting yous Guys in Mann and doing lunch. :supz: :supz:

AD4 was rented just in case others want to try a differnt area and overnite by use. Will see.

As far as the as the KDX... Well kinda. I am in the process of building a Hybrid. A 2007 KXF220AF.

Others??? :prayer: :supz:
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

Cool beans it175! The Ashland Company store just down the street from the campground is good for breakfast if you beat the crowd. You're gonna love this campground, and the trails are different from Rockhouse. Not nearly as wide for the most part, more twisty, and usually MUCH less crowded than Rockhouse on the Indian Ridge side. Pinnacle Creek sees more quad traffic but has some nice flowing trails & sweet hillclimbs. Challenging, but not too scary, singletrack available at both.
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Do we have some kind of head count, in both area's. 10 weeks away as of 3/25.

Sped66.... I will join you if you can tolerate a "old and SLOW guy" :prayer: Will understand if you don't want to. :grin: :supz:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
sped66 wrote:Cool beans it175! The Ashland Company store just down the street from the campground is good for breakfast if you beat the crowd. You're gonna love this campground, and the trails are different from Rockhouse. Not nearly as wide for the most part, more twisty, and usually MUCH less crowded than Rockhouse on the Indian Ridge side. Pinnacle Creek sees more quad traffic but has some nice flowing trails & sweet hillclimbs. Challenging, but not too scary, singletrack available at both.
Now you make me want to ride at Indian Ridge!! Never been there. My son and I are staying with my parents about 1/2 hr from Logan, it would mean a little bit more of a drive but maybe we could ride with you guys one of the days during the adventure. Maybe I can convince a few others to follow!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
it175 wrote:Sped66.... I will join you if you can tolerate a "old and SLOW guy" :prayer:
We're not particularly "fast" by my definition. We're not spring chickens either & stop a lot to take in the scenery as well. I'm sure you'd fit right in with us. :cool: We have 3 in my group so far, with maybe one more.
Jeb wrote:My son and I are staying with my parents about 1/2 hr from Logan, it would mean a little bit more of a drive but maybe we could ride with you guys one of the days during the adventure.
We'll be riding Indian Ridge on Friday afternoon & possibly exploring Pinnacle Creek (or the new Pocahontas system if it's open by then) all day Saturday. Let me know if you decide to join us. It'd be great to ride with you again... I really enjoyed it last time.
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

sped... Just want to ride at a casuall pace. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH QUADS!!! :evil: Like I had to last year. Would have love'd to made them go on some tight ST trails, and wait for them.

Does that make sence. :roll:

Jim... You and your son are welcome to overnight with us if that works for you.

Keerstin.... we just might NEED a nurse. And a Doctor as well. :supz:
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

IT
Did you bring some quads with you last year ?
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Tom.... I was not, but the other 3 guys were. My mistake, trying to keep up with them.

Will you be there?
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Yep I will be there. On a quad again this year. My shoulder is still screwed so no bike for me.
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Tom .... Sent you a e-mail about a question YOU could help me with.

Glad you will be there. :supz:

Will hopefully be able to do more than lunch.
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
it175 wrote:sped... Just want to ride at a casuall pace.
Our first day there is all about taking it easy without straying too far from home. I'll see if I can find you at your camp once we check in on Friday about noonish? We can ride together for a few hours so you can feel us out, then decide if you want to join us for Saturday which is when we'll likely be racking up a lot of mileage. Oh, and we are all on bikes.
I'll shoot you a pm when the time draws near to get your number if that's ok. I don't have a cell phone but my buds do.

Hey Tom, sorry to hear that shoulder is still bugging you. Good thing you have a nice quad for plan B.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Spoke to Nancy the other day just to confirm. So the CT crew is booked the house from 6/7-6/10 and the cabin is booked starting 6/6.

We have Dustin and Rick and Tom, both Rons (myself and my father). A total of 5 and room for 1-2 more. I am currently talking to my neighbor who rides my old KDX200 about coming down, does anyone else have any plans to add another person or 2 to the cabin?
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Bill is a "maybe" on my end. He wants to go earlier than June though.
Ron good to hear your going to make it !