April or May Hatfield & McCoy Riding Trip

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Oh, it did..... but it didn't break our spirit! Had to make the most of it, right?
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Nice. Two buddies just confirmed and requested the days off, so that's three from Connecticut. With three guys, we might as well get our own accomodations; so pick the place and we'll be there. :supz:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

COOL!! It turns out that I ended up talking to a fellow that rode with us year before last and he's going as well and could bring one or two with him.

I'm going to start looking at accomodations and scheduling to see what's open. I'm going to shoot for wherever there are a group of cabins.

I hope to hear from Kirk soon to confirm he and Austin are in.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Rick wrote:Oh, it did..... but it didn't break our spirit! Had to make the most of it, right?
As much as it rained we still managed to get a bunch of riding in so I agree, we definately made the best of it.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Many places are already rented out!!!

I have "temporarily" reserved the following place for us to discuss the logistics, I'll post more details later this afternoon.

http://www.rockhouselodge.com/additional.html

CLICK FOR PICS!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Here's the deal with the Rockhouse Lodge (when you click on the link above it's the house on the top of the webpage to the left) . . .

there are four 2-room "units". Each unit holds minimum 2 people and has 4 beds or can hold 4 comfortably. For each unit the rate is $70/night which split two ways is $35/night. A third person is an additional $15/night, and a fourth is another $15/night. So if 4 people rent one unit it's $100 a night or $25 per person. 3 people and it's about $30 a night. Pretty cheap.

Reservation requires paying 1/2 of the rental up front and Terry (the owner) requires a check. You can get a refund if you cancel prior to 30 days before your rental starts (April 20th). You can place the reservation for the minimum for $70 X 4 X 1/2 = $140, it's no problem to add the 1 or 2 more people later.

My idea is to start reserving the units ASAP. I talked to Terry today and he agreed to hold the whole house until I talk to him tomorrow.

We need to get four people to make reservations for a unit each. I'm going to call tomorrow and reserve a unit for 2 people. We have another group (Cincy locals) that plan on coming so they will be making a reservation. Varmint, could you or one of your buddies make that reservation? And Tom or Rod Smith make one reservation?

My suggestion: each of us make the reservation for ONLY two people, more can be added later. The Varmint team is a group of three and just may want to hand together, but if it works out (and they don't mind) a fourth could end up in their unit.

We'll figure out who bunks with who in the end. I could care less where I end up personally. If there are some that want to hang together, no problem. I'm guessing there's others that don't care like myself.

Post that you've made your reservation as soon as you do. I will call Terry tomorrow morning and tell him to expect people to start calling between tomorrow and Monday (I think he'll hold it for that long).

Enough of the logistics, hope I didn't confuse everybody.

Some good news. The lodge is in Mann, and the Bearwallow trail system is only 12 miles away. That would require loading the bikes on the trucks/trailers, but according to Terry there's another way. He can direct us on how to get to Bearwallow through some gravel roads and through the mountains so we can ride our bikes there directly. That means two trails systems and 180 miles of trails!!

By the way, if someone has a different idea on how we arrange all of this please feel free to make the suggestion. It won't hurt my feelings one bit. But do it like NOW if we want the comfort of cabins/rooms. And why not treat ourselves with that - it's so darn cheap!! Kitchens, places to wash our bikes . . . there's even a washer and to wash riding clothes.

Let me know ASAP - and thanks!

And remember - your reserving for FOUR nights: May 20 through May 23, Thursday night through Sunday night. If that doesn't work out for somebody then we'll need to discuss that, maybe there's a couple that want to leave Sunday.

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

That's a great idea being in the middle of the two trail systems as we can better explore bearwallow.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I talked to Terry today and reserved one of the 2-room units. I told him to expect a few phone calls from others in our group to make reservations and that the reservations would be for the “kdxrider” group.

BTW – he said with tax the deposit for a 2-man, 4 night reservation is $150 (refer to the website for mailing address). On the website it says that the check has to be received within 10 days, he said personally he’s a little flexible on that.

You can call anytime this weekend to make the reservation, don't have to wait until Monday.

CLICK FOR PICS!
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:I talked to Terry today and reserved one of the 2-room units. I told him to expect a few phone calls from others in our group to make reservations and that the reservations would be for the “kdxrider” group.

BTW – he said with tax the deposit for a 2-man, 4 night reservation is $150 (refer to the website for mailing address). On the website it says that the check has to be received within 10 days, he said personally he’s a little flexible on that.

You can call anytime this weekend to make the reservation, don't have to wait until Monday.
Done and the check's in the mail! :supz:
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Awesome! :supz:
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

All right!

We've got 9 definite's and 2 maybe's, this group is really starting to "mass".

4 from Northern Kentucky, 2 from Cincinnati, 3 from Connecticut. The two possibles are from Cincy and Kansas . . . and it sounds like our pal from Kansas is thinking hard about it . . . right Rod?

We gotta convince Vince to come out.

VIIINCE . . . LOOK INTO THE CIRCLE, YOU ARE GETTING SLEEEEPEEEE . . . NOW JUST SAY OUT LOUD THREE TIMES, "I'M COMING TO WEST VIRGINIA TO RIDE MY KDX AND DRINK LOTS OF BEER. YES, BEER IS GOOD. KDX IS GOOD. MUD IS GOOD . . .

Then we'll have room for at least another 3!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

LOL
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Everybody got their reservations made? Hmmmmmm? Its gonna be a great ride!
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:cry: Sorry guys.... got life to deal with but a fall ride sounds great ifn' you are going to set one up.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Already down to 11 weeks . . .

CLICK FOR PICS!
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Here's some other guys from New England making the trip down to Hatfield McCoy. Awesome pics! The trails and views look incredible.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/dir ... tures.html
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No Rain? Pfff.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
sportsgirl017

Post by sportsgirl017 »

Hey Boys,
New around here but I would be back in the states in may(btw in the navy on deployment).... and have been dying to check out hatfield mccoy! It would be me (2004 kdx 200) and my BF (2008 klx 450) we love beer, dirt bikes and mud. would manage our own accomodation and such just would like to hook up with some bad ass trail riding types who know the area...... :partyman:
Laugh... and the world laughs with you. Laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they leave you alone.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

These trails are lots of fun Sportsgirl !!
What do you need to know ??
sportsgirl017

Post by sportsgirl017 »

Well hell, I don't even know enough about the place to begin to know what questions to ask! It doesn't really look like I'll be back in the states with enough time to go out there for memorial, so I think I'm goin to just explore GA this go round :sad: . How often do you all hook up for group rides?

Inda... I might like to shoot for a fall ride too
Laugh... and the world laughs with you. Laugh hysterically, for no apparent reason, and they leave you alone.