April or May Hatfield & McCoy Riding Trip

Planning a ride? Let us know about it...
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Aha, that Stephanie.

It's lookin' like the weekend of 21-23 is working out best for those who have responded. As far as local harescramble race schedules, I don't see where any of the series are competing that weekend - KORHS, IXCR, SOCC.

But the target date certainly isn't closed . . . anyone else have their druthers?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

I have never been to the HM trails but I have wanted to go many times. I am in Kansas and would have a long haul but thought I would ask if anyone was out this way and would like to try to make the trip with me. I have a Dodge crew cab truck with a full size bed with bike shoes and I have room for two more bikes and gear. I am assuming tentsgas grills are the way to go there so I think it will all fit in the truck. If anyone is interested and it is okay I might try to tag along if that is okay.
2000 KDX 220
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Wow, Kansas! That would be a haul! It would be so cool if you made the trip. I have been there twice now. The first year we rented a cabin. That was great. Last year we took a buddys camper along. It too was great. We need to try and nail down a date as soon as we can. Then we can look at what trails we want to do, and what kind of accommodations are there. Lots of possibilities! :supz:
Yes, they really do let me drive the Train!
1991 KDX 250 $Sold but not forgotten....
1996 Suzuki DR 350 $Sold!
2002 Honda CR 250 worth more than my house at this point........ :-)
2004 DR 650se Road Warrior
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Rod, you would love H&M - you definitely wouldn't be in Kansas anymore . . .

you could look on the bright side about the drive, at least your on the east side of Kansas! A halfway point is about Evansville, IN.

Sounds like if we had some riders from MO, southern IN, western KY or TN you could team up with someone or some group along the way.

Rod, does the weekend of the 5/21 work out for you?

I"m guestimating that there's 5 going right now. Rick, myself, Tom (yeah Tom), and probably Kirk and Austin. We oughta' be looking at that KDXRider map to see who's along the way between here and KS and start sending some emails.

I hope Vince and Fuzzy come down. Whadaya say fellas?
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Jim:
Andy and Jarred have been asking about it too... just not 100% in yet. Gene Stephenson has inquired on the trip as well!
2002 DL1000 V-STROM
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I hope all three make it, that's a total of 8 and a good time for sure.

I've been studying on accomodations and it seems best to wait to see how many people commit to coming. At this point, I'd say if we choose cabins we should consider staying in Gilbert (Rockhouse), ride Rockhouse, and pick a day to go to one of the other trail systems. Rockhouse is sorta in the middle. But let's see how many are going . . .

come on Vince, you know you want to come!

CLICK FOR PICS!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Any chance for a late April date. :prayer: I understand that the weather might be iffy. But living here in the north, I am ready to go south at that time of the year.
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I'm working on one or two buddies as well. I may make the trip by myself and May 21-23 works for me.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Virtual Varmint, I was curious and looked at your driving distance and it's about the same as Rod Smith's drive. Tom Moody drives down from MI and if I remember he put in some a similar long drive, maybe just a little shorter, but he's come down for both years . . . must be good, eh?

IT175, April's generally a fairly rainy part of the year. But I'm not the one to decide, let see what others say. If you ARE able to come down in May you might consider PM'ing Tom Moody, he's from your neck of the woods.

We get some good riding in one of the best places this side of the U.S. But even more, we just have a great time period. After two years we've noticed that everyone gets along just fine, we've had zero problems as far as that goes. I hope that it works out for you folks that have such a long drive because it'll be pretty awesome to have folks coming from all parts. Lots of great stories to tell.

CLICK FOR PICS!
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
Jeb wrote:Virtual Varmint, I was curious and looked at your driving distance and it's about the same as Rod Smith's drive. Tom Moody drives down from MI and if I remember he put in some a similar long drive, maybe just a little shorter, but he's come down for both years . . . must be good, eh?
Rod's got a little farther to travel! :prayer: He's got about a 970 mile drive and mines about 600!
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

oops, mapquest screws me again! Just the same, you both and Tom Moody have long hauls. Hope you make it.

CLICK FOR PICS!
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

gonna miss all of ya. :sad:

enjoy!

Rod, you may never want to go back to kansas.
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I got a buddy who is interested but wants to know how much he needs to budget. Have we settled on a date? Rockhouse? Is it too early? Can you tell I'm pumped?
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I won't argue about Rock House :)
I have been 6 times and 3 different systems and think
that has the most to offer.
My trip is about 540 miles BTW.
Jim, the year before last when we went I stayed at a cabin the night
before you guy's arrived on the main drag in Gilbert that had room
for about 8-10 people and I paid only 50 bucks.
It wasn't as nice as the cabin we had but was clean and well kept.
That was called the Devils Anse or something like that.
There was previous mention about an April trip which sound great
but 2 years in a row I have been rained out in April.
Those few weeks make a big difference.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

It's sounding like the weekend before Memorial Day weekend is going to work best. I agree, April is a wet month.

Rockhouse is fine by me! And I still have the phone number of the cabin in Gilbert we all stayed at in '08, that was very cost effective. In fact, we got an email after the trip thanking us for cleaning up, apparently few try to leave the cabin in decent shape.

Are we all in agreement on May 21-23? It's early so I'll wait until next week then call to check on cabin availability.

Things are beginning to shape up, I'm pumped too!

CLICK FOR PICS!
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Just to be clear... Are we riding the 21st-23rd? If so, I'd need accomodations for the nights of the 20th-23rd. It's no biggie if I need to get a different place for the first night.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Rod Smith
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rod Smith »

I want to try to get this all setup because I think I can make it. We are taking Gilbert WV to stay right? Looks like 785 miles for me and I will plan on being there the night of the 20th sometime. At this point I am 75% sure I will be there. Haven't found anyone to hook up with yet but it will be worth it to drive anyway. Is anyone person heading this up so I can touch base with them as time gets closer? Also is is best to get permits ahead of time or can you just do is hassle free that weekend?
2000 KDX 220
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

This place looks OK. http://www.twinhollowcampground.com/ Jeb would have to tell us if it's close enough.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

It's in Mann but it's certainly close. In fact it's closer to the other trails. I'll look into it.

CLICK FOR PICS!
Rick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Rick »

Rod, you can get a permit right there in town at just about any place. Its no biggie.
2002 DL1000 V-STROM