How much compression should a 91 kdx 200 have?

Got questions? We got answers....
kaelentyson10

How much compression should a 91 kdx 200 have?

Post by kaelentyson10 »

I have a 91 kdx 200 that I am currently in the process of stripping down to the frame to re build back to stock, I recently did a compression test and after about 9 kicks the compression tester got up to a little over 100 psi , I’ve been havin issues with the bike not starting . It has fuel fire and is getting air and the fuel mixture is perfect. Even tried spraying a little starter fluid into the air box and still won’t fire off
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: How much compression should a 91 kdx 200 have?

Post by rungrandpa »

I think the manual says 95 to 151. 100 is low, but it's supposed to be measured after the engine is warm. I think it should start at 100 psi but if you are fixing it up to ride I would plan on replacing the piston and rings. I used standard Kawasaki piston and rings, and I had to file down the rings to get them to measure in spec.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

100 is low, but should not keep it from starting. Check it out thoroughly. Spray a little starter fluid down the spark plug hole.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ridea200

Post by Ridea200 »

Also, you can put some premix in the cylinder, and recheck comp. If the reading is higher then the rings aren't sealing to well. Works well on a 4t to rule out stuff, and things. Even though its a 2t, might as well try, and see what happens. But as said by others, I too think it would start with 100psi...