Evans Waterless Coolant?

Got questions? We got answers....
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Evans Waterless Coolant?

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Hello,

Wondering if anybody has had good luck with Evans Waterless coolant? I just bought some after reading the RMATV reviews, which were all positive, but after some more research it seems to be hit or miss. I did a basic search and couldn't find much on coolants here in the forum. I hope this isn't as fiercely contested as oils! It certainly isn't cheap especially with the solution you have to buy to flush the system. I was actually thinking about putting it in my 4-stroke which probably needs to run cooler than my KDX. Let me know if you have experience with it and would recommend or just go with Engine Ice or Maxima Coolant or similar. Thanks!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Evans Waterless Coolant?

Post by G22inSC »

Are you currently having cooling issues now that would lead you to seeking out other alternatives? In my opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it (at least where coolant is concerned).
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Have only run regular coolant in my bike everytwhere from FLorida to the desert SW to North Dakota and here in the PNW. Never had an overheating issue so have never tried any alternatives (as G22 says "If it ain't broke...) That said I have riding buddies that swear by Engine Ice, but then they ride 4T KTMs that overheat everytime the sun comes out from behind a cloud.

Not as controversial as oils or premix ratios, maybe a distant 4th :grin:
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

I had some over heating problems riding at high altitudes. I put a 1.6 (23 P.S.I.) high pressure radiator cap on and have not overheated since.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/part ... ator-cap-p
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

My KDX has never had the fluid flushed mainly because before I purchased it, it had really never been ridden despite being an 04. I figured I might as well get some new fluid in there and thought if it got great reviews, might as well give it a shot. I certainly agree with the, "if it's not broke, don't fix it," but i guess this time I was swayed by the 5-star reviews. Little did I know there was a whole YouTube dismantling of their product, but that can be said for most products. I'll see how it goes over the next couple rides. Perfect timing for testing in this California summer heat at high elevations and slow going. If all else fails I'll go back to Coolanol or Engine Ice. Just thought I'd see if any other KDXers were using it.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

Don't forget about the effect of surfactants such as WaterWetter. They help with cooling as well.
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

OK, I'm a retired chemist as is my brother. We went around and around on this together trying to figure out what Evans Coolant was and what it does. Conclusion, largely propylene glycol, probably with some additives. Evans will NOT make your bike run cooler. It WILL raise the boiling point substantially and avoid boil overs. If you are running your bike so hard that you have a boil over problem (you a pro rider?) OR if you have engine mods that make it run hotter, Evans can help since running hotter is preferable to a complete boil over. It works for that. BUT, the secret is you MUST, repeat MUST, get ALL the water out of your cooling system first. Even the slightest bit, say 1% water, will lower the boiling point of the Evans to the point of wasting your money. That's why they make their "Prep" solution to help you flush out ALL of the old water/coolant. So, if you aren't going to flush out all of the water, don't try the product.
I use it religiously. Why? simple, I added an auto-clutch which makes the bike run hotter due to more clutch slippage. This was compounded by my improper installation of the auto clutch at first and caused boil overs in every race. Now I run Evans Coolant, a 1.6 cap and I replaced that little plastic plug in the top of the left radiator with a metal oil pan plug (had to retap the radiator to match threads). It still runs hotter than before I installed the auto clutch but it has never boiled over again.
So if we believe Evans Waterless Coolant is largely propylene glycol, can't I just buy some PG at the parts store (RV anti-freeze) and use that for a heck of a lot less money? NO. PG you buy as a coolant has some water in it and this lowers the boiling point and eliminates the whole reason you're considering Evans anyway.

So, if you're having a boil over problem, try Evans and a higher PSI cap. If you're not and just want to run cooler, get a fan.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

That is very good info doakley, glad to hear from a real chemist on this!