Clogged peacock help

Got questions? We got answers....
Burkeman79

Clogged peacock help

Post by Burkeman79 »

First bike. Brand spanking new to wrenching on anything. 96 KDX200 with some issues. I’ve found online solutions for most issues. Cannot seem to find a tutorial on peacock cleaning. I know the reserve position flows great (I disconnected the gas line and tested), and that’s how I’ve been riding it. “On” position barely leaks. Anyone have a source for video, or can describe what to do? (I assume start with draining tank and removing it). I’m sure it can’t be too hard?. Thanks!!! . ?!
Burkeman79

Re: Clogged peacock help

Post by Burkeman79 »

Or should I buy one from eBay and swap...
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If its flowing in reserve, but not in on, then there is likely some blockage inside, or the ON portion of the petcock screen is clogged but the RESERVE portion is not. I would drain the tank and remove it, you may be able to blow out the debris after removing the screen, but be gentle it is plastic and fragile when old. I don't know anyone that has used an ebay petcock, but its a simple valve so likely it would work fine. The OEM ones are pricey.

First I would drain the tank, then on the front of the petcock there is a metal plate over the lever that is held on with 2 screws. Take those out and you can disassemble the valve portion, removing the lever, an o-ring and a packing, and check for blockage. If not there then I would remove the petcock.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes indeed. I second everything he just said.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

I put an ebay petcock on the CRF230 4 years ago and have not had a problem. I forgot which hut it came from but they are pretty good at returning your money if not happy.
Burkeman79

Post by Burkeman79 »

Thanks for the advice, details and suggestion! I think I’ll do both.. fix the one I have, and order the...9.00 replacement in case I screw up. (Depending on what they want for shipping cost)

First question asked, got a great answer! That’s pretty cool.
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

I have an old one that works from my 95, if you want it.
It’s not pristine.
I mis diagnosed a leak on my bike when I first bought it. and put in new petcock. Shockingly it didn’t fix my CS seal.
But new one was already in the bike. So now old one is in the leftovers box.
I see you went to walker, so we may not be too far apart.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250