KDX - How old is too old?

Got questions? We got answers....
Owyhee1

KDX - How old is too old?

Post by Owyhee1 »

I hate to say it, but as much as I love my 03 KDX220, it is 17 years old. I’m 61 and an avid trail rider. I’m quite content with my trusty steed, but at what point is it better to just get a newer bike? And what would it even be?

Is there a point when you just have to upgrade?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: KDX - How old is too old?

Post by bufftester »

Well, I would submit that if you are still quite content then spend that extra money on something besides a new bike. There have been plenty of times when I thought I was ready for E-start and FI, but then I go ride and the bike runs great and I realize the limiting factor isn't the bike, it's the rider. I do like the new Husky 2T 300, sexy bike, but for 10k I can buy new grips and tires, and still have money left over to splurge on my wife so that she won't complain about buying new tires and grips :grin:
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Excellent points but doesn’t address your urge to have a newer bike, does it. Your other option might be to seriously upgrade your KDX. My suggestion would be to start with the suspension. I would suggest having Jeff Fredette rebuild your shock customizing it for your skill set, weight, etc. What he does is very much the Equivalent of a gold valve but much less expensive. Then I personally suggest converting to a set of KX forks, again, customized by a reputable suspension professional who regularly customized bikes for the type of riding you do. If you can find someone who has done this conversion before that’s the best option. I can highly recommend Jarred Daniels at SR1 in NC.

There are tons of engine mods if more power is your goal. Either Jeff Fredette or Ron Black are the most often referrals on this site. Either would be excellent. If I were starting with a stock engine, I’d probably give Jeff a call and just talk with him.

This isn’t cheap, but for way less that half the price of that new bike, you can get an updated KDX that will be competitive and ready to shock some orange and white bike riders. If you just gotta’ have e start though, it’s a new(r) bike for you.
oldmankdx69

Post by oldmankdx69 »

:grin: 10-4 on the wife situation. I just turned 69 and my 2005 KDX200 suites me just fine. I just dont see spending 10 grand on a new one that probably would not do me any better. Again, not the bike, but the rider. Besides, I am still recovering from a broken bone in my ankle and I can not wait to get back on my KDX. I hate that it is sitting in my building gathering dust. I would hate it more if it was a $10K motor cycle sitting out there. I look at it this way, YOU are the only one that can answer that question. As for myself, my 15 yr old KDX does just fine for me. It does everything and anything I ask it to and I have loads of fun on it. Keep on riding!!!!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you intend to race eventually?

If I was getting super serious about winning races, I would not be on a KDX. If I was getting super casual about trail riding, I wouldn't be on a $10,000 bike.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

Ive got a YZ and a KDX. I love my KDX, but I also race MX and harescrambles - wouldnt take my KDX. The chassis (+weight) and suspension just let it down too much.
My view is if you have fun on your bike, then keep it. If you have fun on your bike but you feel like you've outgrown (or need more serious performance, e.g. for racing) it, then upgrade. If you dont have fun on your bike, try a different one.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

doakley wrote: 11:09 pm Jul 27 2020 Excellent points but doesn’t address your urge to have a newer bike, does it. Your other option might be to seriously upgrade your KDX. My suggestion would be to start with the suspension. I would suggest having Jeff Fredette rebuild your shock customizing it for your skill set, weight, etc. What he does is very much the Equivalent of a gold valve but much less expensive. Then I personally suggest converting to a set of KX forks, again, customized by a reputable suspension professional who regularly customized bikes for the type of riding you do. If you can find someone who has done this conversion before that’s the best option. I can highly recommend Jarred Daniels at SR1 in NC.

There are tons of engine mods if more power is your goal. Either Jeff Fredette or Ron Black are the most often referrals on this site. Either would be excellent. If I were starting with a stock engine, I’d probably give Jeff a call and just talk with him.

This isn’t cheap, but for way less that half the price of that new bike, you can get an updated KDX that will be competitive and ready to shock some orange and white bike riders. If you just gotta’ have e start though, it’s a new(r) bike for you.
I agree completely!

I guess I'm one of the odd ones in that I have no issue with racing my '98 KDX220 and that's out here in the desert. (I would even still race my '90 KDX200 if I had it) Yes, it isn't the fastest but it makes up for that when I get in to the tight and technical trails. The same guys that blow by me in the fast sections are now struggling, or wadded up, in the tight technical crap and the KDX and I just cruise on by. The KDX is a rock solid reliable bike that lends itself well to endurance racing and tight trails IMO. With some engine mods and suspension upgrades it truly becomes a very capable bike even for serious racing. You can see the mods I did to my 220 by following the link in my sig.

Are there more feature laden and faster bikes out there? Yes, of course! However, unless you just gotta have e-start and/or ride sand dunes quite often, a KDX with mods will always get it done.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Owyhee1

Post by Owyhee1 »

That said, oddly enough a ‘05 KDX 200 appeared today on CL, with original tires on it. So I bought it, just to have a fresh start. I’ll move my usd forks to it, and the other mods, should outlast me!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Well, heck yeah! Congratulations on the purchase.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128