Installed New Piston and Top end

Got questions? We got answers....
Rippy11

Installed New Piston and Top end

Post by Rippy11 »

Hey fellas,

I was wondering after such an install is there a "break-in" phase that is required for a new Piston? Thanks much!
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Installed New Piston and Top end

Post by G22inSC »

That's a hotly debated question just like what oil to run or what ratio mix. There are posted break-in procedures yet there are also other's that live by just riding it like you stole it. My opinion, follow a break-in but that's just me.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Check this out, straight from Wiseco. Interesting that at no point do they recommend letting it sit there and idle. I like this method, its right in between long drawn out idle sessions and riding it like you stole it.

http://blog.wiseco.com/proper-engine-br ... -a-rebuild
tucker
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tucker »

A new piston and rings you really just need to make sure you warm it up slowly, head out and ride for a few minutes. dont go WOT straight away, but just ride. Then come back and check for any leaks. If you do that 2-3 times the rings should seat fine.

anything mechanical thats new and wearing in you want it to be able to take its time - so avoid revving hard when cold or WOT too early, but equally dont overload the engine by lugging/idling it for long periods of time (idling will create excess heat) - the piston rings will take longer to seat and you're better to wear them in at similar RPM's to usual operation.
firsthere
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by firsthere »

I replaced my top end last spring along a with fresh replate. It was warmed up and ridding as usual as break in. 5 tankfulls later all's well.
Malibu406
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Malibu406 »

Getting on it too early can sieze the piston. I did this with a yz125 after letting it idle a while The scuff was minor, but it was enough to verify that better to take it easy. Now I had warmed up many a bike with a 15 minute idle only then a 15 minute ride no more than half throttle many times. I changed to the recomendation of the person that bores my bikes. Start it for 1 minute 5-6 times letting it cool to room temp in between, a fan speeds it up. Then ride an hour taking it easy and making sure the bike is not lean. Then work your way up checking the jetting for about another hour.

Another thing I have always done that is debated, I warm the bike up until the pipe is hot to the touch before I ride it to ensure I have no abrupt thermal transient. But many just kick and go with no problems. I prefer to error to caution.