Random Overheating

Got questions? We got answers....
GOT WOODS?

Random Overheating

Post by GOT WOODS? »

So I have this strange issue where just randomly throughout the day my engine on my 03 220 just randomly gets really hot. It is not reproducible, I'll be riding along and start to notice my legs getting really hot from the engine. It lasts for maybe 5 minutes or so and then the engine goes back to normal. I can be climbing hills or just going down an easy trail and it will just suddenly get hot. I've never seen a thermostat shown in the manual so I'm guessing the engine doesn't have one (thinking sticking thermostat issue). Anyone else have this happen and know why? Nothing bad happens, no coolant loss or engine power loss or anything, just sudden excess heat. Might happen 1-3 times in a 5 hour ride or not at all. Spring, summer, fall, outside temp doesn't seem to matter. Any ideas out there? Thanks!
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Random Overheating

Post by pumpguy »

Can't suggest why you might get random overheating. Maybe going slow with the engine working hard and not enough air going through the radiators?

H series KDX 200 and 220 do not have any thermostats, but if by chance yours does, as a first step I would suggest removing it. IIRC, only the KDX SR series from the Far East are fitted with thermostats. These would be in the coolant outlet housing on the cylinder head.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

normal clutch or auto clutch?

Which transmission / clutch oil are you using?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

When was the last time you flushed your cooling system? I’m wondering about some sort of random blockage temporarily reducing flow.
???
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

KDXGarage wrote: 07:50 pm Jul 18 2020 normal clutch or auto clutch?

Which transmission / clutch oil are you using?
It is a normal clutch and I use Honda HP Trans 80W/85W . I put the entire quart in.

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

doakley wrote: 08:07 pm Jul 18 2020 When was the last time you flushed your cooling system? I’m wondering about some sort of random blockage temporarily reducing flow.
???
Ummmm, never, but I will now....!

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

pumpguy wrote: 06:42 pm Jul 18 2020 Can't suggest why you might get random overheating. Maybe going slow with the engine working hard and not enough air going through the radiators?

H series KDX 200 and 220 do not have any thermostats, but if by chance yours does, as a first step I would suggest removing it. IIRC, only the KDX SR series from the Far East are fitted with thermostats. These would be in the coolant outlet housing on the cylinder head.
Wonder why the Far East ones have them? I will look into this....

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

GOT WOODS? wrote: 05:17 pm Jul 24 2020
pumpguy wrote: 06:42 pm Jul 18 2020 Can't suggest why you might get random overheating. Maybe going slow with the engine working hard and not enough air going through the radiators?

That's an easy one to answer, SR series is a road registered bike, when travelling at sustained "high" speed the engine will run too cool, so hence the need for a thermostat, realised this on my Wr450 when converted to supermoto, many times it would run so cool the temp would not even register on the trailtech dash, had to put cardboard over one of the radiators to reduce airflow

Wonder why the Far East ones have them? I will look into this....
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)