kdx 200 clutch drag

Got questions? We got answers....
tommypx1

kdx 200 clutch drag

Post by tommypx1 »

After some time my kdx developed a clutch drag bad enough to where it wouldn't shift into neutral when the bike was running and warm I had a parts motor and swapped the basket from my parts engine and checked to see if the springs were in spec the manual reads 35mm I had 34mm on my current used springs and my parts bike had 33mm i kept my original 34mm springs put it all back together and instead of using 80w oil I used 10w 40 sae 4 stroke motorcycle oil rode it down my street once turned it off and pushed it with the clutch pulled and it still wanted to turn the motor over. Rode it again for a much longer period of time pulling and releasing the clutch a lot hoping that there was just some old 80w oil stuck between the plates the thing would now shift into neutral running. parked it turned it off put it in first and pulled the clutch, the motor did not turn over when I pushed it, it was still hard to push though. Let it cool and same old thing it turned the motor over when the clutch was pulled. Im lost dont know what It needs and what I should replace. Could it be my clutch plates? the motor does have a lot of miles on it problably around 7000-10,000. Could it be my oil? and could it be that my replacement basket was bad aswell?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kdx 200 clutch drag

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome.

Every dirt bike I have owned does not roll smoothly with the engine off and in gear with the clutch pulled in. It's not a car.

Did the baskets have notches in them? Google "notched clutch basket"
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
tommypx1

Post by tommypx1 »

it didnt have notches it was slightly wavy but no actual "notches"
kdxdazz

Post by kdxdazz »

Depending on the climate you live in 10w might still be too thick and you might have to go down to a 5w. I was running 20-40w on mine and it would lock up the rear wheel when going down hill even with the clutch pulled in. Changed to 10w and it was an improvement put still can't push it in gear with the clutch pulled in
1999 KDX220SR (KDX220-B5)