Supermoto 1998

Got questions? We got answers....
infidel556

Supermoto 1998

Post by infidel556 »

So after spending several days pouring over these forums in respect to converting my 98KDX into a supermoto, I have decided on utilizing a 97-04 KX500 front end so I don't have to swap stems. I will then order a front wheel from Warp9 complete with a rotor and bracket. BUT, with all the research if have done on the matter I have not come across a couple specifics:

I am pretty sure the 2000 KX250 Warp9 front sumo wheel will bolt on to the KX500 fork. Can someone verify.
Except for the above info which I read as the E, H and other year KX rears fit the KDX swingarm, but will a 2003 KX250 rear bolt up with sprocket and rotor alignment not being an issue.

I thank you for your replies, and I promise you I have put in a fair amount of work to find these answers for myself. Just can't find it if it is there.

Thanks.
Brad
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Supermoto 1998

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Welcome to kdxrider.net. I split your post off into its own thread, as making a new thread is usually better than bringing up an old dead thread.

Good luck on finding a KX500 front end if you don't already have one.

A 2003+ KX125 / KX250 rear wheel will NOT work on a KDX (25 mm axle, not 20 mm)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
infidel556

Post by infidel556 »

KDXGarage wrote: 11:38 pm Mar 27 2020 Hi. Welcome to kdxrider.net. I split your post off into its own thread, as making a new thread is usually better than bringing up an old dead thread.

Good luck on finding a KX500 front end if you don't already have one.

A 2003+ KX125 / KX250 rear wheel will NOT work on a KDX (25 mm axle, not 20 mm)
Thanks KDX Garage. I have found a KX500 complete front end for 200 bucks. Took a bit to locate one, but finally did. I have been thinking about the creation of a compatibility spread Sheed for the KDX, since so many seem to enjoy frankensteining the bike so much. I have as well, as nothing is really stock on mine except the wheels. My wife is an excel spreadsheet master and can create anything. Is this something you would be interested in, as it would cut down on the mass questions on those kinds of issues.

Thanks for the rear wheel reply. Would you know off the top of your head which rear wheels do fit in the swingarm of the 98220r? I assume it would have to be a 20mm axle, or is it possible to shave off 2mm from the swingarm axle holes to accomidate the KLX rear 22mm axle?

Thanks again.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you already own the KX500 front end? If not, stop reading this, and go buy it! :partyman:

I think there is a "what fits" thread on here. A spreadsheet would be too much to manage, I think.

One concern is where the frame steering stops hit the triple clamp. These are not always lined up so well on various models. It is just a ton of info to keep up with. Then, it is "one guy said" info.

The outer fork tubes and /or upper triple clamp is going to hit your tank. Be aware of that.

Why do you want to fit a non-stock wheel? Surely, you can just buy a used one. I surely would not grind away at the swingarm.
infidel556

Post by infidel556 »

KDXGarage wrote: 01:45 pm Mar 29 2020 Do you already own the KX500 front end? If not, stop reading this, and go buy it! :partyman:

I think there is a "what fits" thread on here. A spreadsheet would be too much to manage, I think.

One concern is where the frame steering stops hit the triple clamp. These are not always lined up so well on various models. It is just a ton of info to keep up with. Then, it is "one guy said" info.

The outer fork tubes and /or upper triple clamp is going to hit your tank. Be aware of that.

Why do you want to fit a non-stock wheel? Surely, you can just buy a used one. I surely would not grind away at the swingarm.
I found one in another state for 200 bucks. He's sending more pics of the pinch points, since all the the other ones I've found had broken bolts there. If its good, I'll be buying it today.

Hmmm....hits the tank. Well, I'm not sure how much lock to lock I'll be doing on the street, so hopefully it won't be much of a problem.

My plan is to purchase complete SM wheels with hubs, as the stock hubs are not the look I am going for with the rebuild. It started with, "I'll just relace the hubs to Warp 9's and call it good", and has gone to a new front end with rebuild, rebuild rear shock, strip bike to frame for black repaint, re-polish the swingarm, vinyl wrap all non black plastic as I can't find black for my desert tank, and anodize a bunch of alum parts, such as brake calipers n such. So, yeah....I'm a little OCD. It's not a bad thing though. I've had the bike since 2001 and rode the bejezzus out of it. It really could use some tightening up in the looks department.

I went to Kawasaki parts nation and found that the 2020 KLX300 rear is the same hub as the 98 KDX. Warp 9 makes this SM wheel. That should be a direct fit with the axle, as well as the chain and brake.

The 98 KX500 front end shows the same part number for the hub as the 2003 KX250, which Warp 9 makes.

See any problems?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

anodizing cast aluminum might not work out great

I doubt hitting the tank on the street will be a concern.

Congrats on having it 19 years!

Sounds good on the hubs!
ysuscuba

Post by ysuscuba »

infidel556 wrote: 02:03 pm Mar 29 2020
KDXGarage wrote: 01:45 pm Mar 29 2020 Do you already own the KX500 front end? If not, stop reading this, and go buy it! :partyman:

I found one in another state for 200 bucks. He's sending more pics of the pinch points, since all the the other ones I've found had broken bolts there. If its good, I'll be buying it today.

Hmmm....hits the tank. Well, I'm not sure how much lock to lock I'll be doing on the street, so hopefully it won't be much of a problem.

My plan is to purchase complete SM wheels with hubs, as the stock hubs are not the look I am going for with the rebuild. It started with, "I'll just relace the hubs to Warp 9's and call it good", and has gone to a new front end with rebuild, rebuild rear shock, strip bike to frame for black repaint, re-polish the swingarm, vinyl wrap all non black plastic as I can't find black for my desert tank, and anodize a bunch of alum parts, such as brake calipers n such. So, yeah....I'm a little OCD. It's not a bad thing though. I've had the bike since 2001 and rode the bejezzus out of it. It really could use some tightening up in the looks department.

I went to Kawasaki parts nation and found that the 2020 KLX300 rear is the same hub as the 98 KDX. Warp 9 makes this SM wheel. That should be a direct fit with the axle, as well as the chain and brake.

The 98 KX500 front end shows the same part number for the hub as the 2003 KX250, which Warp 9 makes.

See any problems?
Hey! I wish I would of found this a few weeks ago. I just sold a supermoto K500 wheel laced to a KDX hub for $250.

Anyways, I have a KDX supermoto and I ended up lacing the wheels myself. If you want, I posted an email below from the companyI used to drill the holes on the Excel rims. I think the total spend F/R wheel comes close to $1,000. Reach out topatrick if you are instersted in rims and lacing the hubs yourself.

On Sep 24, 2019, at 12:06 PM, Buchanan Sales <sales@buchananspokes.com> wrote:

Hey Steven,

A 3.50x17" black Excel rim runs $318 and a front spoke set for a KX500 to that rim should be $120 for stainless spokes and nipples. Please note, that amount does not include shipping. If your billing/shipping address(es) are the same, I can get this into the office right away and one of the gals in accounting should be giving you a call for a credit card with the total including a shipping estimate in the next day or so.

Patrick