Newer bike or farkled out bike for hare scrambles

Got questions? We got answers....
smr310

Newer bike or farkled out bike for hare scrambles

Post by smr310 »

I am planning on buying a KDX200 for harescrambles in and around Massachusetts. It'll be my first time owning a a real dirt bike (I'm a pretty decent dual sport / street bike rider, but not that much experience on real dirt bikes.

I'm planning on spending less than 2k on the bike. For that price, would you guys recommend going with:
1) A bike as new and unmolested as possible
or
2) race-ready, farkled up, etc...

And for that price, do you think I'm better off finding a bike that has already been rebuilt (top end, maybe bottom too?). Or just try to find one with low hours?

Thanks! Can't wait to get the bike and try some hare scrambles.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Newer bike or farkled out bike for hare scrambles

Post by SS109 »

Personally, I expect every bike I purchase to need a complete rebuild and factor that in. Don't trust what sellers tell you. Always verify it. If you can verify a bike has been rebuilt (seller has the receipts and it looks to have been done) that would always be a good way to go depending on price. I know most would look at my bike and think it's roached. However, the engine was completely rebuilt two years ago and the bike has so many upgrades it ridiculous yet I still couldn't sell it for more than $1800-2000 locally.

The more upgraded parts the better IMO. If they are already there then you don't have to purchase them yourself. Complete aftermarket exhaust is $300+, upgraded forks $300+, etc. It adds up quickly.

So, look the bike over really good. Look for broken, worn out, or missing parts, and leaks. How does it start, run, and ride? Does the chain kink? Sprockets hooked? Rotors getting thin? Brake pads wearing evenly? Etc., etc. Inspect the bike again after running/riding it to make sure your initial assessment is correct. Good luck!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

I doubt you will find one for less than $2,000 that is ready to roll up to the starting line of a race. Budget for some repairs on a used bike. Don't spend your whole budget on the bike.

Good luck.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Never raced before? I'd just get a good solid bike and wouldn't worry about the "farkle" so much. If you find out you like racing you can decide if you want to modify the kdx or sell it and get something else. You'll get your money back out of a good KDX.
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

$2,000 isn't much of a budget to have a reliable race ready bike. The newest KDX (H series) is going to be 14-25 years old. Check all wheel/linkage/swing arm/steering stem bearings and repack with grease. Replace all worn and broken parts. These bikes are well worth fixing up though. You will need bark busters and a skid plate if it doesn't have one already.

Nobody ever said racing or any motorsport hobby for that matter is cheap. Dirt bikes are still about the cheapest motorsport and most fun for the dollar if you ask me. Even if you dumped $5,000 into a KDX you would still be out less money than you would if you bought a SxS.
I've never heard the term "farkled" before, sounds like something you do in the bathroom.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Hears a 4 stroke going "braaaap"
Dude... did someone just farkle their pants? haha
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Haha! I haven’t heard the term either but I imagine “Y’all keep darkening” pretty much covers it’s!

Old Guy Racin’