Hi from Washington

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
87KDXfan

Hi from Washington

Post by 87KDXfan »

Hello all! Recently purchased an '87 from a family member. He bought it brand new in 87. I
Got the fuel system cleaned out and a few other minor things. 3rd kick and I hot boxed the back yard in a matter of moments. So far I've ridden it once for a few hours. It has been punched out and sleeved in the 90s due to theft and a straight gassing by the theif ( who was caught :grin: ). Bike was recoverd and repaired. I was warned that since that rebuild, it was rather... pipe-y. Indeed it is! I was shocked at the power for a bike this size!! Grew up riding 4 strokes, this is a whole different animal. Id love to hear some feedback in terms of things like 2 stroke oil recommendations, recommended sprocket combos, tires, and other tips for these air cooled beauties!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Hi from Washington

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net.

Congratulations on the KDX!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jedidan45

Post by jedidan45 »

Awesome, congrats and welcome! An '87 200 was my first big bike. LOVED that thing. Super easy to work on and she never let me down. I used to run Golden Spectro oil in mine and never had any issues. Sprocket combos will greatly depend on your intended use and preferred riding style. Tires are pretty much the same way - you can certainly go with name brand or find some cheaper options online from Tusk at Rocky Mountain ATC or even the old Kenda Trakmasters lol
Long live the KDX and all hail King Fredette!
Trackdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trackdog »

Welcome!
I would love to find a decent air cooled machine. Actively looking for and old IT175.
But a one owner bike! WOW!
Always rode two strokes in the dirt, only got my first 4 stroke a couple years ago. Been riding for 40 years now.
Still have yet to ride a modern 4 stroke dirt bike. No desire too.
I think that old 87 will put a smile on your face, more so than any 4 stroke IMO.
There's a plethora of info here.
2004 KDX 200
2004 KX 125
1986 CR 125
1994 DR350
1998 VFR
2004 DUCATI S4R