New KDX owner

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
tystick82

New KDX owner

Post by tystick82 »

Just got a 2003 kdx220r. Seems to be in decent condition with clean fluids it was possibly cared for at some point. After reading a bunch of information on here I've decided to start with removing the head and cylinder to clean the kips and see how cylinder wall looks. Also to check the piston condition. I'll post some better pics when I get it cleaned up. Its been sitting for a couple years. Any advice would be great and nice to meet everyone.
Attachments
20200728_191716.jpg
20200728_191716.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 3963 times
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New KDX owner

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome. Nice looking bike!

number 1 tip... service manual!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

Welcome and nice find on the 220. I picked up one about a year ago. The PO had already put in a Wiseco piston that had 10 hours on it when I bought the bike. So I left the motor alone but went ahead and broke the bike down for general maintenance, swingarm & wheel bearings and changed the front and rear sprockets along with a fresh chain. I did change the fork oil and just recently rebuilt the rear shock. Also glad to see that I'm not the only one who loads their bike from the driver's side. I was in AZ a couple of years ago and had my KLX331 on the back of my truck and someone took a picture and posted it on Adventure Rider forum. https://advrider.com/f/threads/who-dis. ... t-36392885 One of the comments was pretty funny and I just had to reply.

Again welcome and keep us up to date with that 220
NEVER FORGET!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forums. Looks like the PO already put an aftermarket pipe and silencer on, as well as other bits like the bark busters, and looks to be set up for road licensing as well-bonus score!
BlkDakDave wrote: 01:40 pm Aug 03 2020 ...had my KLX331 on the back of my truck ...
Not to thread jack but Dave, nice looking KLX, in much better shape than mine currently. Did you do the E-start set-up on it?
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

BlkDakDave wrote: 01:40 pm Aug 03 2020 ...had my KLX331 on the back of my truck ...
Not to thread jack but Dave, nice looking KLX, in much better shape than mine currently. Did you do the E-start set-up on it?
[/quote]

Thanks!
I bought my KLX 250S new in 2010 and the only option was e-start. It wasn't long before I installed a 331big bore kit along with a FMF Megabomb and a Powercore 4 silencer The bike has been flawless.
NEVER FORGET!
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Aaahhhh, you started with a 250...I have a 99 KLX300R. They share basically the same bottom end, just different cylinders for the most part. I have my eye out for a wrecked 250 so I can cobble E-start onto my 300 and make it a nice dual sport/buddy bike.
tystick82

Post by tystick82 »

Keen eye. It does have a few goodies on it. Has acerbis rear light with plate mount and Baja Designs headlight kit. Also keyed ignition. As for the pipe it's a Pro Circuit Platinum with there 304 silencer. And I almost forgot a trail tech endurance II and set of fat bars

It was registered in Maine in 2015. Sounded like the guy I bought it from planned on commuting around town with it but never followed threw. It does have paint worn of in normal areas but hey it's an 03.
Attachments
15964937234221006833128356060795.jpg
15964937234221006833128356060795.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3934 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Good looking bike, lots of fun in your future!
tystick82

Post by tystick82 »

Oh and I load that way cause my jeep is lifted high enough I'd never control the front brake the other way. Also I bought that carrier 2nd hand set up that way so guess we're not the only 2
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

tystick82 wrote: 10:47 am Aug 05 2020 Oh and I load that way cause my jeep is lifted high enough I'd never control the front brake the other way. Also I bought that carrier 2nd hand set up that way so guess we're not the only 2
Yes, much easier to control the bike that way. When I unload the bike I grab the rear tire at about 2 o'clock with my left had and roll the bike back to the tipping point of the carrier and ramp. At that point I apply the front brake with my right hand, then move my left hand to the left grip and control the decent with the front brake. Works great.

I added tail/turn and brake lights to my carrierafter I noticed the bike covered my left turn signal. I didn't want some excuse for gettng pulled over or someone hitting me.
IMG_20200214_164809.jpg
IMG_20200214_164809.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 3903 times

Hey enjoy that bike!
NEVER FORGET!
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

Sweet bike! The dual sport additions will make it that much easier to register in VT. I am a fellow Vermonter and have a 97 220 that is VT plated. I am missing a few of the other components, but I got it plated ASAP just in case they start making the regulations more strict. I am currently in CA, but the clock is ticking on my return. Nothing like the Green Mountain state.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
tystick82

Post by tystick82 »

That's a great idea with adding the taillights. I was looking at mine the day I brought the kdx home thinking how will anyone see my lights. But it was only a 10 min drive up a dirt road so I didn't stress about it.

VTMTcowboy what part of Vermont are you from? I'm in southern vt not far from Manchester
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I'm from Colchester, which is the town that borders Burlington to the north. I've never ridden down south, but would eventually love to explore the southern part of the state. I grew up riding around my town and also mainly in the Northeast Kingdom, which was a blast!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
BlkDakDave

Post by BlkDakDave »

10 minutes on a dirt road, man you got it made. The dirt bike club I belong to (and ride) is 150 miles away to the north. And that's the closest place to actually ride. Much different from when I was working in MS for a couple of years. Had a MX track that was so close I could those 4 stokes in the late afternoon and then dirt bike club I belonged to had their place about 20 minutes away. Miss those days...
NEVER FORGET!
tystick82

Post by tystick82 »

Dave I can ride right out the backdoor of my place right now. It's not a huge amount but if you wanted to you can easily burn a tank of fuel. That's what usually limits our riding. I've recently started talking to guys about a half hour south of me trying to link to some of the trails they have. There's also a few private tracks around here but I'm a trail guy not the track.

Cowboy if you ever come back to Vermont let me know always looking for people to ride with.
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

tystick82 wrote: 07:44 pm Aug 11 2020 Dave I can ride right out the backdoor of my place right now. It's not a huge amount but if you wanted to you can easily burn a tank of fuel. That's what usually limits our riding. I've recently started talking to guys about a half hour south of me trying to link to some of the trails they have. There's also a few private tracks around here but I'm a trail guy not the track.

Cowboy if you ever come back to Vermont let me know always looking for people to ride with.
100% Will do! Within the next few years it will happen.
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200