First and Second gear not revving out

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
1991motokid

First and Second gear not revving out

Post by 1991motokid »

Hey guys, i’m new to the forum, i just recently got my hands on a beautiful 1991 Kdx 200 in remarkable shape. I’ve wanted one for a while and I finally sold a few toys when this popped up because i just had to have it. Anyways the engine was freshly rebuilt and there’s an fmf fatty pipe on my bike. The bike idles great and 3rd-6th scream all the way throughout every gear. But when i start riding into first and then second, the bike doesn’t want to completely rev out and it kindve sounds boggy and plateaus when i’m about 3 quarters of the way on the throttle. I know there’s much more gear to go but it just doesn’t wanna rev out. I’m thinking the carb may not be jetted correctly for the fatty pipe, but every other gear rides spectacular and the bike idles great like i said. Starts first kick. I just put in a new plug, so it’s not a misfire. I really don’t wanna rip the carburetor apart and take it off the bike if i don’t have to. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to what may be causing this? Thanks - stay safe
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: First and Second gear not revving out

Post by doakley »

You have to. Sorry, cannot diagnose the problem until you know the carb is right, IMO.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Clean the carb, but DO NOT dip it in Berryman's or similar.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Pull the carb and clean it, make a note of what jets are in and the air screw setting, needle clip position. Shouldn't take more than an hour. Once it's clean you'll want to run through the jetting process.