New KDX220 owner from WI

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
meyerst

New KDX220 owner from WI

Post by meyerst »

Hello,
I just purchased a 2000 KDX220. I am 45 and have wanted one of these since I was younger. I LOVE the style of these bikes. I want it for casual riding with my boys 12 years old - DRZ125 and 6 years old - CRF50. It is so fun that they are old enough to start sharing my passions and I can be a kid again. Also, someone has to supervise them so it was a great reason for me to get this bike. :grin: In the past I have had a YZ250, XT600, XR250, and all sorts of other street bikes, fourwheelers, snowmobiles, etc. I would still call myself a little bit of a novice though.

The bike seems to be in good shape for the age. The previous owner was a mechanic and took really good care of his things. I think we both got a fair deal. He had a lot of other competitive bikes and this was more for fun for him. I am not sure on if the piston was changed so I will probably do a top end job. I am pretty mechanical, but have never done that so it will be a learning experience. I have already learned a lot from this site. I have only rode the bike around the yard a little bit. It starts great, but did seem to have a little stutter in first and second gear. I just expected it to be a little snappier. I did clean the carb and pilot jet and it ran a little snappier. The pilot jet is a 38 so that is not stock. The air screw was out 1.5. It has the stock pipe, but the FMF silencer. From what I have read, that alone will not do much. I will probably get the FMF pipe also and then try to rejet. I bought a bunch of cosmetic items for it also. I feel like I got a fair deal on the price, but like anything, aftermarket parts add up pretty quick. O'well, I need something to work on and pass the time during this quarantine. I will try to document my rebuild on this site. I don't need it to perform like a racer, but just want it to run good and be very reliable. Hopefully with the help of this site, I will be satisfied with my purchase.

I could not get the pictures small enough to add to this so here is a link to a shared Google folder with the pictures.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Take care everyone.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New KDX220 owner from WI

Post by KDXGarage »

Congratulations on the KDX!

Welcome to kdxrider.net.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Mine is very cold natured and seems to take an inordinate time to run at 100%. Maybe youjust need to let her get fully up to operating temperature?
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Congratulations on the bike. I hope you end up loving it. That stutter you mentioned typically will be throttle opening related and not gear related. I think of a stutter as rich. Not falling on its like its out of gas bog. Is the stutter down low, 1/2 throttle, or wide open? If it's down low a quick check without having to replace parts or mess around too much is to take a quick run with the air screw at 2 turns out and then at 1 turn out. If one or the other is better then start working from there in smaller 1/8 turns on the air screw. That's with the engine fully warmed, fresh fuel, and a new spark plug.

Good call on the top end. It's quick, you'll know what you have in there, and also be able to clean up the KIPS parts. Looking forward to hearing about the journey getting it just how you want it.
meyerst

Post by meyerst »

Thank you. I need to get on the bike and ride it a little more. I may not be using the right language..sputtering, bogging, etc. Whatever it is, I would crack the throttle and not pull a wheelie in first or second. I just figured I should be able to do that with this bike. I do believe it is a jetting/carb issue. It is livable, but I would like to get it really snappy. I will hopefully have a chance to ride is a little this week.

thank you,
Steve
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

where about are you in wisc.I ride all over the state and have a place in hurley.
meyerst

Post by meyerst »

I live in Brillion outside of Appleton and South of GB. Don't really have a great place to go get. I hope to get some land up North sometime in the future. Until then, we will probably go and ride in Kewaunee at their park. Any other recommendations for some relatively easy rides that my boys could handle also? What bike do you have?
meyerst

Post by meyerst »

I am assuming that a properly tuned stock KDX 220 should have no problem pulling the front wheel up on the blip of the throttle in 1st and 2nd gear?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

That is correct