New here - Looking for honest opinion.

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
CMJ

New here - Looking for honest opinion.

Post by CMJ »

Hi everyone,
New member here. I spent all night reading about the KDX200 on this site, and it has peaked my interest. Now here's the question. I'm currently riding a 2001 YZ426. The bike had very little use when I purchased it from my neighbor. It still had tires with a 2002 date stamp on them. I've put about 40 hours on the bike and do not really like it. I knew from day one it was a terrible choice for a beginner. It's great on flowy trails an whoops, but very hard for me to ride in rough technical terrain. It has way more power than I need too, but I'm just now starting to get used to that. I'm more interested in slower rougher rocky trails and this bike HATES going slow. I've had my eye on a 2015+ wr250f as a replacement, but know I'm thinking the kdx might be the answer, and it's a lot cheaper. I'm in California, there are no 2 stoke bikes that can be ridden year round produced after 2002. So if I want a 2 stoke it will have to be an old bike. I also like the fact that the KDX has a 36" seat height. The YZ has a 39" seat height, and at 5'10" feels high to me. So what do you guys think, will I be happy ditching my current bike for a kdx200 h?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New here - Looking for honest opinion.

Post by bufftester »

Short answer is yes. The YZ is a beast and really at home in the open desert, but as you have found not so much in the tight and twisty's. The WR is a great bike, but a 4T and so maintenance is a bit higher than a 2T. Of course, being a KDX site, we're going to favor the KDX, but any of the modern 2Ts in a small bore (250/300) are going to be easier to ride in technical stuff, which helps boost your confidence and improves your riding experience. The down side with KDXs is of course the fact that they are no longer made, but parts are still relatively easy to source for the H and 220. (the H and 220 are basically the same bike with a different cylinder/carb...nearly every part is interchangeable between the two.) Other good choices are the KTM XC's, Beta, and if you really want to stay Team Blue the YZ250X (though they ain't cheap). Lots of choices, and as you'll find, lots of opinions.
CMJ

Post by CMJ »

Thanks for the reply. I would by a Beta, but all of the new 2t bikes have a restricted riding seaon in California. Any 2t bike or 4t competition bike produced after 2002 can only be ridden from May to Oct in my area. I want to ride year round, so it restricts what bikes I can buy. The WRs became restricted in 2018 too! So if I want one on those I need to get a 2015-2017. People add a $1000 premium to those years since they can be ridden year round. It's a little crazy here.
lucy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by lucy »

The 426 is an overweight anchor with too much power...and I've been riding for 40 y. I had the Yamaha WR 400 and sold it for a KTM. Sold that for...and the cycle repeats. Currently have a Yamaha 250FX and a 250X.

The KDX 200/220 are great little bikes. Stiffer spring in the forks, fix the sagging kickstarter, other little things and its a great little bike. I wish I still had my 220.

Check out this video that one our guys made.

If that doesn't convince you, nothing will. Jared has some other cool KDX videos as well.

Sure its a little dated but its a great little bike.

Whatever you do, don't buy KTM. You will regret it.
CMJ

Post by CMJ »

That was awesome! Old tech kicking butt right there, a few of those guys must have been asking themselves what the hell is going on.

Another way I'm trying to justify buying this bike is that I could possibly pass it down to my son in about 2-3 years. He's a small 11 year old, currently riding a kx65. He's better on 6-8" rocks with those little wheels than I am with the 426. It's a long shot but maybe I can keep him on the 65 and then transition him to the kdx. I would lower it, but I'm guessing it would probably be too heavy for him😁.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think you will like it. In tight woods is where the KDX really shines.

In all honesty, I think that if you ride a KDX, you will have more regreet over having not bought one sooner / riding the YZ.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rungrandpa
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by rungrandpa »

My son has a WR426. I find it hard to enjoy riding it and it's hard to move it around because it weighs so much. KDX is fun.
KDX is perfect for junior high aged kid. I let my 14 year old grandkid ride mine and he loves it.
CMJ

Post by CMJ »

Well I spent too much time researching. I called the guy last night and it had already sold. It looked like a good deal too.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/m ... 23196.html
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

Another one will pop up.
I like turtles
Goat
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Goat »

If you like the right woods, I predict you will be shocked at how much you can get away with. And how light it feels. If you like 2-strokes, you will love it. If you prefer smooth, the uncorked WRF is very nice, my riding buddy likes his a lot but it’s not my pref. I have had my KDX 3mo, and it is a treat.
Goat
95 KDX200
22 KX250
CMJ

Post by CMJ »

Found one... Can anyone tell me what's the deal with the headlight housing? It doesn't look right. I see a vforce reed cage.
Attachments
kdx220 Vforce.jpg
kdx220 Vforce.jpg (115.18 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
KDX220.jpg
KDX220.jpg (150.57 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Head light looks like an aftermarket job. Front fender is also newer gen Kaw. Frame looks good! Congrats on the clean find.
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Lots of aftermarket goodies, bark busters-pipe-skid plate-reeds-front fender, and looks pretty clean. The headlight is off something else, not sure what, but that's all cosmetic anyways.
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

I did the same thing: first DB ever RMZ 450, terrible over boiled and WAY to much power , hated going slow
I went to a Honda 250x, elec start 4 stroke GREAT bike, enjoyed slow technical, Lighter than 450 and was awesome at gnarly tech single track, but I wanted to be on a 2 stroke like my single track Zen masters that I follow on trails.
I went to KTM 300, great bike for trails , single track, one of best bikes ever made for it, but still a little tall, a little big and bulky for me, the bike felt big like a 450, Im 5'10" and like to put feet down as Im learning single track, also KTM was abused and needed a lot of LOVE to get correct, I sold and found my
2001 KDX 220r and could NOT be happier, (only way to be happier would be a new version w elec start)
the KDX even though not lightest bike in class, Is very managable and nIMBLE on trails, very torquey and is so much fun to ride, I heard a youtube review on KDX that its a GREAT first 2 stroke trail bike for 4stroke guys wanting to switch, its the most "4 stroke" feeling 2 stroke there is, if that makes sense
anyways Im building and riding colorado single track and My awesome CHEAPER KDX goes just as well through all the technical single track colorado has to offer that my groups Husky / KTM/ BETA 10K bikes can go, I stay right on their tail and do it for way less money
kvkdx

Post by kvkdx »

lucy wrote: 02:49 pm Jan 02 2020 The 426 is an overweight anchor with too much power...and I've been riding for 40 y. I had the Yamaha WR 400 and sold it for a KTM. Sold that for...and the cycle repeats. Currently have a Yamaha 250FX and a 250X.

The KDX 200/220 are great little bikes. Stiffer spring in the forks, fix the sagging kickstarter, other little things and its a great little bike. I wish I still had my 220.

Check out this video that one our guys made.

If that doesn't convince you, nothing will. Jared has some other cool KDX videos as well.

Sure its a little dated but its a great little bike.

Whatever you do, don't buy KTM. You will regret it.
DUDE this is what I look like riding with my COlorado peeps, I just torque and craw up ALL the gnary stuff, and when the 450s catch up, they are go DAMN,,,,..... dude what are you rockingm that little bike is sick, and I say, cool try and keep up.....
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

The carb fuel line is all "jacked up" and appears to have a different than stock carb due to the vent line configuration. Headlight is definitely switched out along with the newer style front fender. I would be willing to bet the frame wear from boots has been touched up with fresh paint. It appears the shade is a little off and you can see there is wear on the frame "hoop" in front of the gear shifter.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
TwistedRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TwistedRoot »

Does anyone know what year front fender that is and if the green matches OEM KDX?
2002 KDX 200
2003 KDX 220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Looks to be an Air Striker or quad vent PWK, the fuel line looks jacked up because they have an inline filter in there and too long of a fuel line. Looks like an Acerbis front fender and the color should match the OEM
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I imagine the fender would be 2005+ shade of lime green, not 2004 and older on back to whenever.

I am seeing a black tank on a green framed bike and a few bolt heads that are rusty. Check it over and ask questions.

Ask the guy to take off the seat so you can look at the air filter. DO NOT buy a bike without seeing the air filter.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128