Greetings from Western PA

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
Guffer
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Greetings from Western PA

Post by Guffer »

I finally got around to reviving my '89 kdx after 13 years of several moves, marriage, kids, etc. Funny how everyday life gets in the way of working on the bike and going out for a quick ride. I started simple with just getting it running and sure enough it fired on the third kick! I was like a kid in a candy store with a smile from ear to ear!! Now I'm hooked on finding all the aftermarket goodies to make the bike even better. I've been pleasantly surprised on how many OEM parts are out there too. I've tried explaining my passion for riding to my wife, but she just shakes her head. So I guess I'll get my son involved now that he's old enough like my dad did for me. For those of us who ride motorcycles there is something intoxicating about the sounds, smells, camaraderie, etc. and those who don't ride can't understand it.

Many thanks to everyone on this site that has shared their knowledge and experiences to make our bikes even better. I've spent many long nights reading posts and have a much better understanding (and appreciation) for theses bikes and what you have been able to do with them.
1989 KDX 200
2020 Vitpilen 701
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Re: Greetings from Western PA

Post by kdxsully »

Welcome, don’t let the bug cloud your thinking! Do the necessities first. Is the suspension in good condition? Fresh grease?
I like turtles
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Welcome to the addiction and congrats on reviving the old beast!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for the post. Thank you for the donation to keep the site going as well. Julien D will get you set up with the status change.

You are in the right place if you want to talk about KDX's with other people that want to talk about KDX's! Enjoy dirt biking! Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Guffer
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Guffer »

Really looking forward to tinkering with the bike and getting back into riding. Basic stuff is good, just needed fresh fuel and plug and changed the trans oil. Expected to clean the carb but it was fine. Changed all the fluids and drained gas back in 2006 for regular winter storage, but it ended up being a 13 year hibernation!

Motor was rebuilt back in early 2000's (didn't write down date) and same for front/rear suspension. Back then I had grease fittings installed in all moving parts of the rear suspension and in the frame for steering stem so I was able to pump some fresh grease into those areas. Bike has been stored inside most of it's life so all seals appear in good shape and no visible leaks. Bearings seemed fine and the bike is tight. Gonna have to change the tires this winter but I'll save that for another post (in the correct section of course). Recently rebuilt front/rear master cylinders and both calipers and replaced original brake lines with stainless steel ones. Also did new DP brake pads front/rear and a new front rotor after determining the original one was warped. I never had full confidence in the single piston front caliper but now the brake works like I always hoped it would.

I'll get some pics up soon.
1989 KDX 200
2020 Vitpilen 701
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How did you put a grease fitting on the steering bearings?? I can't see that as possible.

Great amount of work you did to it!
Guffer
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Guffer »

Grease fitting is drilled into the left side of the steering head about halfway between the upper and lower bearings. Now you would think all the grease would ooze out of the lower bearing and not reach the top (I know I did), but that's not the case. My best guess is the lower bearing creates a better seal since it's pressed onto the stem and that only a little grease gets by the bearing and oil seal. Anytime grease is pumped into the stem I have to wipe off more from around the locknut under the upper triple clamp than the lower clamp. It defies the laws of physics!!

KDX steering head.jpg
KDX steering head.jpg (110.19 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
1989 KDX 200
2020 Vitpilen 701
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK. Well, that's different!
kdxsully
Supporting Member

Post by kdxsully »

There must be a whole tube of grease packed in there. I hear it’s difficult to get those steering head bearings packed really good
I like turtles
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

Welcome to the site. I'm not far from you. Near Slippery Rock.
Guffer
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Guffer »

Nice! Any good places to ride near you?
1989 KDX 200
2020 Vitpilen 701
targetman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by targetman »

I don't have any free riding areas around me that I have access to. I try and make Scubgrass when it's open. Rock Run is great. Have a couple Quads I'd like to take up to the Allegheny National Forrest. I will be running with these guys in the spring. AHRMA Mid Atlantic Cross Country