New to two strokes and kdxrider. 220 build

Welcome to KDXRider.net! Please take a moment to introduce yourself, and meet the group.
FWR

New to two strokes and kdxrider. 220 build

Post by FWR »

Hi all,
FWR here Introduction post and build.
I just purchased a 02 kdx220r with the plans of rebuilding to tip top shape and creating a street hoon machine.
*I’ve never owned a two stroke!*
Having ripped it around a couple times I’m already loving the differences from my daily driven ninja 400 but know there is a lot of work I will have to do before it’s really even ready.
Bike was purchased with Oem top end and fork revalve not sure on hours but came with dated receipt 12/18, fmf gnarly woods pipe with fmf turbinecore II, some renthal bars, Modded air box lid and a plush seat.
After a couple longer rides also came with bad Coolant leak and crazy amounts of spooge all over rear brake, swing arm and license plate.
I will be doing all of the work on the bike myself. Even if it’s a learning experience I look forward to working on this bike.
My list as follows is
•oil change(done)
• Wiseco piston kit (ordered)
•New air filter as the old is beyond horrible.(ordered)
•Water pump seals kit (ordered)
• Muffler repack (ordered)
I would definitely like a strong running bike before I even worry about cosmetics/lights/sm wheels
So have a few questions on aftermarket work for street purposes:
Jetting suggestions would be appreciated as I’m not very versed even after researching. Really just looking for a bike that I can rip wheelies and do burnouts on. 2,730ft above seal level.
(Currently running 40 pilot 145 main needle leaned one from stock)
premix 50:1 with amsoil interceptor I’m still getting crazy amounts of spooge what is to lean for the street?
How do I stop the spooge?
Would I be better off with a 35mm carb?
gearing?
(Currently running a 13 47)
It has a weird wobble on decel from over 50mph?
(Just because it’s light? or is that engine,suspension,wheels?)
What are the best street tires for the current stock rims?
(Currently running pirelli knobbies)
I do know how to search on here and google but thought it’d be a cool bike build thread as I’ll probably need help.
Any and all advice/links would be appreciated.
Attachments
EB730932-7A7C-4B2F-8262-F008AB004C30.jpeg
EB730932-7A7C-4B2F-8262-F008AB004C30.jpeg (301.01 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New to two strokes and kdxrider. 220 build

Post by bufftester »

FWR wrote: 07:07 pm Oct 05 2019 Hi all,
FWR here Introduction post and build.
I just purchased a 02 kdx220r with the plans of rebuilding to tip top shape and creating a street hoon machine.
*I’ve never owned a two stroke!*
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike!
FWR wrote: 07:07 pm Oct 05 2019 • Wiseco piston kit (ordered)
•New air filter as the old is beyond horrible.(ordered)
•Water pump seals kit (ordered)
• Muffler repack (ordered)
Get new clutch cover gaskets for when you do your water pump, and if your pump is leaking it would be a good idea to check the pump bearing and oil seal while you're in there.
FWR wrote: 07:07 pm Oct 05 2019 How do I stop the spooge?
Get your carb jetted properly, there's a guide here, also linked in my sig. Also when you have it all apart clean your pipe, repack (already on your list), and make sure there are no air leaks in your intake/exhaust tract.
FWR wrote: 07:07 pm Oct 05 2019 Would I be better off with a 35mm carb?
Maybe if you're going to just SM it, will give you a bit more top end at the expense of low, but with a 220 and a woods pipe you got low end to spare.
FWR wrote: 07:07 pm Oct 05 2019 gearing?
(Currently running a 13 47)
It has a weird wobble on decel from over 50mph?
(Just because it’s light? or is that engine,suspension,wheels?)
What are the best street tires for the current stock rims?
(Currently running pirelli knobbies)
Couldn't say for sure on the wobble, could be tires not balanced for road, front end slightly out of align, is it a front end wobble or rear? Remember it was designed as a trail bike and 50+ decels was probably not in the engineers design criteria. At any rate, ThirdGen will be along, he's the resident KDX SM guru :grin:
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. Good luck on the build. Knobby tires don't do real well on the street at 50+.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
decluk13

Post by decluk13 »

In response to the wheelies and burnouts. I'm running 13t front 51t rear on a EG225 and at times it's difficult to keep the front wheel down in 1-3 half throttle or more. Had to get a 110 link chain to fit and it did some self clearance on the rear guide. You'll loose top speed that way though so maybe shoot for the middle at 49T rear if you'll be on the street. Think I saw a post on here showing speeds with different gear ratios from sproket changes. Also should mention I've only ridden on dirt not sure how much that has to do with it.